Status: a work in progress.

Call Me Captain

Nicholas Baltone is a teen with Asperger’s Syndrome and ADHD. He has always had a hard time distinguishing the correct way to act in social situations and controlling his emotions. However, he has a passion- ice hockey. Ever since his dad brought home tickets to a game when he was younger he’s been hooked. He can tell you all of the statistics for every player on the Tampa Bay Lightning and has his entire room decorated in team memorabilia.

Nick’s dream has always been to play hockey like his brother Justin and become the next Vincent Lecavalier, but his mother prohibits it. Instead, he skates on a pond behind his house, practicing on his own with his brother’s old equipment. One day a group of kids from school happen to spot Nick skating and shooting around by himself and suggest a game of pick-up hockey. What they didn’t realize, is he is just as good, if not better, than all of them.

As Nick’s talent on the ice begins to be recognized he has to face a multitude of challenges. He has to acknowledge and respond correctly to social cues, remember plays, get into a daily routine and most importantly, manage his emotions on and off the ice. With all of these challenges will Nick be able to change people’s perception of him or will he simply fall flat and stick to the pond?