When You Close Your Eyes

23: Come With Me

Wrinkling her nose a little, Isabelle rolled onto her side, attempting to shield her eyes from the sunshine which seeped through the half open blinds.

It was early, from the amount of sunlight which seeped into the room, it couldn’t have been a lot later than 7 or 8 in the morning, and whilst Isabelle was slightly excited about the idea of it being Christmas morning, a part of her was tempted to stay curled up in bed for a little longer, even if she knew it was only a matter of time before her parents called to wish her a merry Christmas, she was too comfortable to consider getting up so early.

It had a few days, after they’d arrived at their villa, three days had passed, and whilst they had spent a lot of their time relaxing by the pool, Isabelle had to admit that she enjoyed it, even if things had been quiet, she had enjoyed the opportunity to relax and spend some time alone with Lionel.

Allowing a small yawn to fall out of her mouth, she cuddled a little closer to her pillow before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached her, causing her to toss onto her other side, her blue eyes peeking up at Lionel who stood in the doorway, a quirked smile playing at the corner of his mouth. “Buenos dias” he quipped softly.

Isabelle offered him a soft look before she shook her head, cuddling a little closer to her pillow once more. “What are you doing up so early?” she mumbled sleepily, a soft yawn falling out of her mouth.

Lionel, who’d moved to sit down on the side of the bed, shrugged. “I just woke up” he murmured softly “And I figured, with it being Christmas morning, that I would make us some breakfast, if you want to join me of course” he added, pressing a soft kiss against the side of her head.

Isabelle tilted her head. “You cooked?” she posed, sitting up a little.

“I did” Lionel confirmed softly “I was thinking that we could have some breakfast, open some presents, and then call our parents to wish them a merry Christmas” he added gently.

Isabelle nodded her head softly. “I think that that sounds like a plan” she mused softly before she ducked into him, pressing a light kiss against his lips. “Feliz Navidad” she mumbled softly.

Lionel quirked a soft smile at the words before he leant into her, stealing another couple of soft kisses before he mumbled the same words in return, his stomach twisting a little at the thought of the day that stood ahead of them.

~#~
“How were your parents?”

Lionel, who had padded into their bedroom, startled a little at the sound of Isabelle’s voice before he lifted his head, offering her a soft smile. It had been a relaxed morning, with it being just the two of them, everything they’d done had been calm and comfortable, and Lionel had to admit that he had enjoyed it, even if it did feel a little strange not having other people around, he had enjoyed it being just the two of them.

“They were OK” he mused, moving to settle down on the couch “I mean, my madre attempted to make me feel bad about the fact that we’re not there, but they seemed pretty happy. They’re going to call back later to talk to you. How were Grace and Sam?” he added, offering her a soft smile.

Isabelle, who’d been reading quietly, quirked a soft smile. “Loved up” she mused softly “I mean, it’s been a couple of weeks since they got married and they’re still so giddy and happy. It’s kind of sweet” she added, closing her book in her lap.

Lionel noted the warm expression on her face before he shook his head, trying to shift the slight hit of nerves which stirred in his stomach. He knew what he wanted, for a while, the idea of taking a step forwards with Isabelle was one that he had given a lot of thought to, but still he was a little nervous, even if he was confident that it was what he wanted, a small part of him felt nervous about the prospect of her saying no.

Isabelle, who’d moved to stow her book onto the end table, noted the small frown which had appeared on his face before she tilted her head. “Are you OK?” she posed softly.

Lionel, who’d drifted off slightly, jumped at the sound of her voice before he turned slightly, offering her the best smile that he could muster. “I’m fine” he noted softly “I…I just…I’ve got another present for you” he babbled, his voice soft and uncertain.

“Are you sure?” Isabelle quipped teasingly.

Lionel rolled his eyes playfully before he pushed himself up to his feet, offering his hand out towards her. “Come with me” he mused.

Isabelle offered him a slightly dubious look before she knotted their fingers together, allowing him to lead her out onto the balcony which overlooked the secluded stretch of beach which stood outside of the house. “Leo, what is going on?” she posed softly, her teeth gently nibbling on her lip. It wasn’t the first time, since they’d arrived, Lionel had been a little quiet and distant from time and time, but Isabelle had opted not to comment it, not wanting to ruin their vacation with a fight.

Lionel looked around for a couple of seconds, admiring the setting around them before he nodded his head softly. “I’ve been thinking recently” he mused, peeking towards her softly.

“You have?” Isabelle posed gently.

“I have” Lionel confirmed softly “I’ve been thinking a lot about us and about what I want to do next” he added before he shifted his hands, carefully moving to knot their fingers together.

Isabelle tilted her head, a small frown playing at the corner of her mouth. “Leo…”

“You don’t have anything to worry about, Isa” he interrupted softly, a coy smile on his face. He knew what she thought, the moment the words had fallen out of his mouth, her expression had faltered a little, and he wanted to reassure her, not wanting her to get worked up over nothing.

Isabelle offered him a slightly dubious look, something which made him chuckle softly before he leant towards her, pressing a soft kiss against her cheek. “I know that things between the two of us haven’t been flawless” he murmured softly “I mean, we’ve had our fair share of ups and downs, but still, I know that this is where I want to be, Isa. I love you, I’ve loved you for a long time now, and I know that that isn’t something that’s going to change easily. You’re it for me, Isa, I know it, and I was hoping…I was hoping that you’d consider becoming my wife” he babbled out softly before he tugged away from her slightly, moving to settle down on one knee ahead of her.

Isabelle blinked, trying to stifle the tears which had been quick to fill her eyes. “What?” she spluttered softly.

Lionel quirked a soft smile at the tone of her voice before he shook his head. “Will you marry me, Isabelle?” he posed gently.

Isabelle sniffled a little before she placed a hand over her mouth, not quite able to push the words out of her mouth.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)