When You Close Your Eyes

25: It’s About Time

Sparing a soft look down towards her hand, Isabelle quirked a small smile, her blue eyes studying the engagement ring that had been placed on her finger. It had been a little while, after Lionel had popped the question, they’d opted to take a couple of days to let the news sink in, but with their return to Barcelona looming, they’d opted to call their parents, wanting to share the news with their families before it got out.

Smiling gently, she admired the ring for a couple more seconds before she shook her head, still a little in awe of it. It had caught her off guard, Lionel’s proposal had come out of the blue, but still she was excited, even if it did feel a little strange that she and Lionel were more than just boyfriend and girlfriend, she was confident that she would get used to the idea that they were engaged quickly.

“Have you stopped staring at that thing yet?”

Isabelle, who’d been peeking down at her hand, startled a little at the sound of Lionel’s voice before she lifted her head, offering him a soft smile. “I have” she quipped softly “But a small part of me is still trying to wrap my head around the idea that you actually asked me” she added teasingly.

Lionel, who’d moved to sit down beside her, rolled his eyes a little before he shook his head. It felt a little strange, the idea that he had asked Isabelle to marry him, but he was confident that they’d get used to it, even if it did take them more than a couple of days to wrap their heads around the idea of being engaged, he was certain that they’d get there eventually. “It is still a little strange” he admitted softly “But it is a good kind of strange, no?” he added, offering her a soft look.

Isabelle admired the slightly nervous expression on his face for a couple of seconds before she quirked a soft smile, moving to press a gentle kiss against his cheek. “It’s the best kind of weird” she mumbled, moving to rest her head against his shoulder.

Lionel smiled a little before he ducked down, pressing a soft kiss against the top of her head as a comfortable silence fell over the two of them.

“Do you still want to tell our parents today?” Isabelle mumbled quietly, not wanting to disturb the quiet which sat around them.

Lionel, who’d been quietly tracing shapes into her arm, quirked a small smile. “You’re not looking forwards to it?” he teased gently.

Isabelle rolled her eyes a little, something which made him smile softly before he ducked down, pressing another kiss against the top of her head. “I want to tell them, Isa” he murmured softly “But, if you want to wait, then we can. We’ll just need to be careful when it comes to this” he added, lifting her hand up to show off the ring she wore.

Isabelle spared a soft look towards her hand before she shook her head gently. “We can tell them” she mused softly “But be prepared. My madre, she’s going to be more than excited” she added, peeking up at him gently.

Lionel chuckled a little. “Isa, we’ve been dating for nearly four years, I think by now I am able to handle your mother” he quipped teasingly.

~#~
“Are you sure that you don’t want to call your parents first?” Isabelle posed as she settled down on the couch, her blue eyes peeking towards Lionel who sat beside her, setting up the laptop.

Lionel, who’d moved to settle the computer onto the coffee table, quirked a small smile at her question before he shook his head, turning to look at her. “We will call them” he mused softly “But, I made a promise to your mama when she left Barcelona. She insisted that, if I asked and you said yes, then she would be the first call we made, and I intend to keep that promise. I don’t want to upset my future mother-in-law so early” he mused impishly.

Isabelle mulled his words over for a couple of seconds before she let out a soft sigh, something which made him chuckle a little before he leant towards her, sneaking a quick kiss. “It’s going to be fine, Isa” he mused softly “They’re going to be more than excited” he added gently.

Isabelle spared him a slightly dubious look before the sound of the dial tone reached her ears, causing her to peek towards the laptop which sat ahead of her.

Lionel pressed another brief kiss against her lips before he moved to accept the call, his dark eyes peeking at the screen as Marco’s face appeared on it. “Lionel, Belle, it is nice to hear from you” he grinned brightly.

“It’s good to see you too, papa” Isabelle mused softly “Is mama about?” she added, twisting a strand of blonde hair around her finger nervously.

Marco quirked a small smile at her words before he nodded his head. “She is” he noted softly “I’ll just take the computer through to her” he added as he moved to lift up the computer, carrying it into the kitchen where he set it down on the counter ahead of his wife “Francesca, it’s Isabelle” he mused softly.

Francesca, who’d been wiping over a plate, paused a little at the sound of her husband’s voice before she turned, her blue eyes peeking at the screen of the computer. “Belle” she greeted softly “Princesa, we weren’t expecting to hear from you” she added, trying, and failing, to mask the grin which itched to spread across her face.

Isabelle offered her a slightly odd look before she shook her head. “I…we have something to tell you both” she babbled, her hand gently gripping at Lionel’s.

Marco tilted his head. “You do?” he posed gently.

Isabelle nodded. “We do” she confirmed softly “A couple of days ago, Christmas day actually, Leo…Leo asked me to marry him” she breathed softly.

Lionel, who was sat beside her, smiled a little at her words before he carefully lifted her hand, moving it ahead of the camera. “I asked Isa to marry me and...and she said yes” he enthused brightly.

Francesca and Marco shared a brief look before the older man shook his head, a grin appearing on his face. “It’s about time” he enthused brightly.

Isabelle rolled her eyes a little at his response, something which made the older man chuckle softly. “I am thrilled for you, Belle” he mused softly “I mean, it’s been a long time coming, but, I am thrilled for the two of you. Congratulations” he grinned brightly.

Isabelle’s cheeks warmed a little before she shook her head. “Gracias, papa” she mused softly.

Lionel quirked a soft smile at the sight of her slightly pink cheeks before he ducked down, pressing a gentle kiss against her cheek which made her mother coo, fussing over how cute they were together. He knew that it was going to take them a little time, the idea that they were engaged was going to take a little adjusting to, but he was sure that they’d get used to it quickly, even if it did mean putting up with people fussing over them for a while, he was sure that they’d adjust quickly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)