When You Close Your Eyes

31: Can We Talk?

Resting her head back against the bath which stood behind her, Isabelle took in a deep breath, trying to stifle the sensation of nausea which twitched in her stomach. It had been a couple of days, after her conversation with Lionel, a few days had passed, and whilst she was a little disappointed that Lionel had failed to at least call her, she wasn’t surprised, even if part of her had been hoping that he’d call, she wasn’t surprised that she hadn’t heard from him.

She knew that she had surprised him, his reaction to the news that she was pregnant had confided it, but a small part of her was hurt that he had reacted like he had, even if she did understand that he needed a little time to wrap his head around it, she had been expecting a slightly better reaction.

Taking in another breath, she squeezed her eyes closed for a couple of seconds before she moved to push herself up to her feet, wiping her mouth gently. Swallowing a little, she carefully moved to brush her teeth before she padded out into the bedroom, removing her pajama top before she padded towards the holdall she’d stowed at the end of the bed, collecting a new shirt.

Allowing a soft sigh to fall out of her mouth, she moved to pull the new shirt over her head before she paused, her blue eyes peeking towards the reflection of her stomach in the mirror which stood a little away from her. It wasn’t noticeable, the slight bump which had appeared on her stomach was hardly visible, even if you were looking for it, but still it made her smile a little, even if it had caused a slight problem between her and Lionel, Isabelle was still a little amazed by the idea that she was expecting.

“Belle?”

Isabelle, who’d been studying her reflection, jumped a little at the sound of her mother’s voice before she turned around, offering her a soft smile. “What can I do for you, mama?” she posed softly.

Francesca, who’d stepped a little deeper into the room, shook her head. “I just wanted to make sure that you were OK” she mused softly “Your papa said that he heard you throwing up when he walked past a little while ago and I just wanted to make sure that you were alright” she added, her tone soft and motherly.

It had been a surprise, Isabelle’s appearance at their home had caught both Marco and Francesca off guard, but as soon as she had explained what was happening, they’d been more than happy to offer her a room for a few days, wanting to take care of her whilst she and Lionel figured out what to do next.

Isabelle, who’d moved to pull her hair up into a ponytail, nodded. “I’m Ok” she noted softly “I mean, morning sickness sucks, but I am coping” she added gently as she sat down on the edge of the bed.

Francesca offered her a soft look before she sat down beside her, offering her a soft sideward hug. “You know, me and your papa, we’re more than happy to help you out in any way we can” she mumbled softly. She didn’t want to pry, whatever happened between Isabelle and Lionel was their business and Francesca didn’t want to get into the middle of it, but she wanted to offer Isabelle a little reassurance, even if she was confident that she and the argentine would figure it out, she wanted her to know that she had her parents behind her.

Isabelle nodded. “I do know that” she mused “And I am very grateful for it” she added, offering her mother a soft smile.

Francesca returned her smile gently before she pushed herself up to her feet, pressing a soft kiss against the top of her daughter’s head. “This is our first grandbaby, Belle” she mused softly “And we’re going to make sure that the next few months are as easy and as calm as they can be for you” she added gently.

Isabelle nodded her head gently before she looked up at her mother, offering her another gentle smile. “I know, mama” she enthused softly.

“Good” Francesca enthused softly “Now, me and your papa, we’re going to head off for work in a few minutes, but if there is anything you need, don’t hesitate to call. Make sure that you take it easy” she fussed gently.

Isabelle quirked a soft smile at her mother’s fussing before she nodded her head. “Of course I will, mama” she noted softly “But I am sure that I will be fine” she added.

Francesca offered her a slightly dubious look, wordlessly asking if she was sure, before she nodded her head. “Ok” she noted gently “We’ll be back this evening” she added before she pressed a light kiss against Isabelle’s cheek, moving to pad out of the room.

Isabelle watched after her for a couple of seconds before she shook her head, a soft smile on her face. She knew that she had surprised them, both her mother and her father had looked more than shocked to find her on their doorstep, but she had to admit that she was glad that she had turned to them, even if they had both been keen to fuss over her, she was glad that she had opted to go to them rather than anyone else.

~#~
Sparing a small yawn into her hand, Isabelle stretched her legs, attempting to wake herself up a little. It had been a quiet day, with both of her parents having headed off to work, Isabelle had had the house to herself, and she had to admit that she was glad, even if she had enjoyed spending time with the two of them, she was glad for a little time to herself.

Allowing another yawn to fall out of her mouth, she moved to pull her blonde hair up into a ponytail before she carefully pushed herself to her feet. Pausing for a second, she swallowed down the slight hit of nausea that had washed over her as she stood up before she padded towards the kitchen, moving to fix herself a glass of water. Sipping at the cool liquid, she rested back against the kitchen counter for a moment before the sound of the doorbell echoed, causing her to frown a little before she set her glass down on the counter.

Frowning slightly, she padded through the hall before she pulled the door open, her blue eyes widening a little at the sight of Lionel who stood on the other side, a sheepish look on his face. “Leo?” she squeaked softly “Wha…What are you doing here?” she added, her voice more than slightly surprised.

Lionel, who stood on the doorstep, spared her a soft look before he leant forwards, pressing a soft kiss against her lips.

Isabelle stilled a little, caught off guard by the sudden kiss, before she wrapped her arms around him, holding him close for a couple of seconds before she tugged back slightly, her forehead resting against his. “What are you doing here?” she repeated softly.

Lionel admired her for a couple of seconds before he let out a soft sigh. “I wanted to talk to you” he noted softly “And, with tomorrow being a day off, I figured I’d come to you rather than do this over the phone. It seems like a conversation we should probably have face to face. Do you think that we can talk?” he posed, peeking up at her shyly.

He knew that he had caught her off guard, the look on her face when she’d opened the door had been more than surprised, but he wanted the opportunity to talk to her, even if it was likely to be slightly awkward and unsure, he knew that they couldn’t avoid it forever.

Isabelle spared him a soft look before she carefully shifted her hand, knotting her fingers through his. “You should come in” she mumbled, carefully guiding him into the house “We can talk upstairs. My parents are due home in a little while and I doubt they’re going to be pleased to see you” she added, knocking the door closed behind her.

Lionel mulled her words over for a couple of seconds before he nodded his head, something which encouraged Isabelle to lead him up the stairs, nerves twitching in her stomach at the thought of what he had come to say to her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)