When You Close Your Eyes

33: I Only Want What Is Best

“You know, you really don’t have to go in there if you don’t want to”

Lionel, who’d moved to step towards the kitchen, quirked a small smile at the sound of Isabelle’s voice before he turned around, offering her a soft look. He knew that she was slightly nervous, the way that she gripped at his hand as well as the expression on her face confided it, but he knew that he couldn’t shy away from talking to her parents forever, even if the idea was tempting, he knew that he would have to speak to Marco and Francesca eventually.

“I think we both know that I have to speak to them eventually” he noted softly, his hand squeezing her comfortingly “They’re your parents, Isa, I can’t avoid them forever, even if that does sound preferable right now” he added teasingly, offering her a soft smile.

Isabelle admired the smile he wore for a couple of seconds before she shook her head, a slightly shy expression on her face. “You’re right” she agreed softly “But you have to know that they’re not going to be particularly happy to see you. They were upset, Leo, angry about what happened, and I don’t think that they’re just going to let it slide because we’ve talked” she added, her tone soft and shy.

Lionel mulled her words over for a couple of seconds before he nodded his head. “I’m not expecting anything less” he noted softly.

Isabelle offered him a slightly dubious look, wordlessly asking if he was sure, before the sound of Marco’s voice filled the air, causing her to sigh a little. “You ready?” she quipped, her voice caught between teasing and nervous.

Lionel offered her a soft smile before he ducked in, stealing a brief kiss before he pulled back, leading her into the kitchen where Marco stood, unpacking the bag of groceries he’d bought home with him. “Papa?” she squeaked gently, her fingers shyly pulling at the bottom of her sweater.

Marco, who’d been preoccupied with unpacking the bag, startled a little at the sound of her voice before he lifted his head, his eyes briefly passing over Isabelle before they settled on Lionel, something which made him shake his head, his expression undecipherable. “I should have guessed you’d show up eventually” he noted, his tone a little sharp.

He wasn’t surprised, from the moment that Isabelle had shown up on his doorstep, it had only been a matter of time before Lionel followed after her, but still Marco was a little irked to see the argentine, even if a part of him did want Lionel and Isabelle to patch things up, he was still a little irked that he had shown up.

Lionel flinched a little at the tone of his voice before he shook his head. “Marco…”

“You two have made up?” Marco interjected, his eyes briefly peeking towards Isabelle who’d moved to hide behind Lionel slightly.

Lionel blinked a couple of times, slightly surprised by the interruption, before he nodded his head. “We’ve made a start” he noted softly “But we’re both aware that one conversation isn’t going to be enough. It’s going to take some time, but I think we’re on the same page” he added, sparing a soft look towards Isabelle.

He knew that it was going to take a little work, the idea that Isabelle was pregnant was one that still seemed strange to him, but he was sure that they’d figure it out, even if it did take them a little time, he was sure that they’d work things out between them,

Marco flicked his eyes between the couple, mulling over his words briefly, before he shook his head. “Do you have any idea how much you hurt her?” he posed, his eyes narrowing on Lionel.

“Marco…”

“She was crying” Marco interrupted “When my wife opened the door to her, she was crying, and that is on you. You hurt her, Lionel” he added sharply.

Lionel flinched a little at the tone of his voice before he nodded his head gently. “I know I did” he agreed softly “I know that I hurt her and I hate that, Marco, but it wasn’t my intention. The news…it came out of nowhere and I didn’t quite know what to say. I’ll admit, I messed up, but it wasn’t intentional. I just…it came out of nowhere” he babbled softly.

Marco offered him a sharp look before he shook his head, a soft sigh falling out of his mouth as his expression softened a little. “I don’t want to cause trouble” he admitted “You two, you are good together and I want you two to work things out, but Lionel, you’ve got to understand that this is my daughter and if you hurt her…”

“I don’t intend to mess up again, Marco” Lionel interrupted, his dark eyes peeking towards the older man softly.

Marco shook his head. “I know you don’t” he noted “But you didn’t intend to mess up the first time and yet, it still happened, and it worries me. It’s not just the two of you anymore, is it?” he posed, his eyes drifting towards Isabelle’s stomach.

Isabelle followed the line of her father’s stare before she shook her head gently. “Papa” she murmured softly, her hand gently squeezing the older man’s.

Marco spared a soft look down towards his hand before he shook his head. “I don’t want to cause trouble between the two of you, you’re both adults and more than capable of figuring things out between yourselves, but it’s not just you two anymore, you’re going to be parents, and I want what is best for you, Belle, but also for my first grandbaby” he added, his tone warm and fatherly.

He didn’t want to cause a problem, whatever occurred between Lionel and Isabelle was between the two of them, but he was worried, even if he knew that Lionel and Isabelle wanted to make things work, he was worried about the prospect of Isabelle, or the baby, getting hurt.

Isabelle allowed his words to hang around them for a couple of seconds before she shook her head, a soft sigh falling out of her mouth, something which made Lionel step towards her, his hand gently taking a hold of hers. “I can’t promise that it will be perfect” he noted softly “But I can promise you, Marco, that I am going to try my hardest to ensure that both Isabelle and our baby are as happy as they can be, even if things between me and Isa don’t work out, I am going to take care of them both, and you don’t have to doubt that. I promise you, Marco” he insisted, his dark eyes mirroring the older man’s.

Marco looked between the two of them for a couple of seconds before he nodded. “I hope that you do, Lionel” he noted gently “I doubt that she tells you this enough, but my daughter, she is kind of in love with you” he added, a teasing smile on his face.

Isabelle’s cheeks warmed a little at her father’s words, something which made Lionel smile gently before he stuck his hand out ahead of him. “I’m sorry, Marco” he noted gently.

Marco offered his hand a soft look before he took it, offering it a soft shake before he padded away, musing about getting dinner ready before Francesca arrived home.

Lionel watched after him for a couple of seconds before he felt Isabelle’s hand take his own, something which caused him to startle a little before he turned, offering her a small reassuring smile. He knew that it was going to take a little work, things between the two of them weren’t likely to simply fall back into place, but he was sure that they’d figure it out, even if the idea of Isabelle’s pregnancy was still a little unfamiliar, he was confident that they’d work things out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)