When You Close Your Eyes

34: I Know That You Are

Blinking his dark eyes open, Lionel tossed onto his side, his ears doused by the soft sound of the house phone which rang in the distance. It was early, a little earlier than Lionel had planned on being awake, but he doubted that he would have the opportunity to fall back to sleep, even if the idea of curling up beside Isabelle and falling asleep was tempting, he knew it wouldn’t be long before her alarm sounded and woke them up once more.

Sparing a soft yawn into his hand, he blinked a couple of times before he turned his head, his dark eyes settling on Isabelle who slept contently at his side. It had been a few days, after their conversation with her father, they’d been quick to return to Barcelona, and whilst things still felt a little odd between the two of them, Lionel was glad she was back, even if she’d only been away for a few days, he’d missed her being around.

Allowing another yawn to fall out of his mouth, he admired her for a couple of seconds before he shifted slightly, moving the duvet away from her stomach before he carefully moved his hand, bunching up the material of her pajama shirt. It still felt a little strange, even despite their conversation in Bilbao, the idea that Isabelle was pregnant was one that was still settling in, but part of him was excited, even if it did still seem a little odd to him, part of him couldn’t wait for the baby to arrive.

Ensuring that he’d not disturbed Isabelle, he carefully moved to place his hand against her stomach before he ducked down, pressing a soft kiss against the warm skin. “Hola, little one” he mumbled softly, his thumb gently brushing against the small bump “I can’t wait to meet you, little one, something I know your madre shares in. We’re so excited for you to come along” he added, pressing another soft kiss against her bump

“You know, I’m only a few weeks in. We’ve still got a way to go yet”

Lionel, who’d been mumbling softly to small bump, startled a little at the sound of Isabelle’s voice before he lifted his head, offering her a soft impish smile. “I know that” he mused gently “But I figured I could say hello to our bump.” he added, his tone soft and warm.

Isabelle admired the warm expression on his features before she shook her head. “You’ve said hello to our bump every morning since I got home” she mused, her fingertips gently messing with his hair “Are you going to do it every day until they arrive?” she teased shyly, a nervous smile playing at the corner of her mouth.

Lionel, who’d moved to shuffle back up towards his pillow, shrugged playfully. “It’s not impossible” he quipped softly “But I can’t be blamed. That’s our bump, Isa, we made it, and I think that that entitles me to be a little excited” he added brightly, his thumb gently brushing over stomach once more.

He knew that she was still a little nervous, every time the topic of the baby arose in conversation, Isabelle tended to get a little shy and uncertain, and Lionel wanted to reassure her that he was excited, even if his reaction hadn’t been the best, he wanted to assure her that he was more than excited at the prospect of the baby’s arrival.

Isabelle smiled a little at the sound of his words before she carefully shuffled towards him, cuddling into him slightly. “I am glad that you’re excited” she mumbled softly “After the other day, I was a little worried…”

“I know you were” Lionel interjected softly “And I am sorry for that, Isa, but you have to know that I am more than excited about this” he added, his hand gently moving to rest against her stomach.

Isabelle spared a soft glance down towards his hand before she peeked up at him, a soft smile playing at the corner of her mouth. “I know that you are” she mused softly, her hand gently moving to take a hold of his.

Lionel spared a soft glance down towards their intertwined hands before he ducked down, pressing a gentle kiss against her shoulder. “I’ve been thinking” he mumbled softly, breaking the comfortable silence that had settled around.

Isabelle, who’d been happily playing with his fingers, tilted her head. “Should I be worried?” she quipped, her tone soft and teasing.

Lionel rolled his eyes before he leant down, pressing another gentle kiss against her shoulder. “It’s nothing bad” he noted gently “But, before we found out about baby, I did sort of ask you to marry me” he added, his finger gently pushing the engagement ring that she wore around her finger.

Isabelle watched the movement of his finger before she tilted her head, peeking up at him softly. “I remember” she quipped, a light smile pulling at the corner of her mouth “What are you thinking?” she added gently.

Lionel spared her a soft look before he offered her hand a gentle squeeze. “I was just thinking that…that we could put off planning a wedding for a while” he mused softly “I mean, I want to marry you, I wouldn’t have asked if I didn’t, but I just think…we’ve got a bump to think about, and I think it might be best if we put it off, even if it is only for a few months” he babbled shyly.

Isabelle allowed his words to hang around them for a couple of seconds, not missing the nervousness in his voice, before she tossed onto her other side, her blue eyes mirroring his darker ones. “I think you’re right” she noted softly.

“You do?” Lionel quipped “Because if…”

“I think it is a good idea, Leo” Isabelle interjected, a soft smile on her face “I think we’ve got something else that we need to be focused on right now and I don’t mind putting off planning a wedding for a while. I think our attention ought to be elsewhere for the next few months” she added, her blue eyes briefly peeking down towards her stomach.

Lionel followed the line of her stare before he quirked a soft smile, moving to press a warm kiss against her forehead. “I love you, you know that right?” he mumbled quietly.

Isabelle’s cheeks warmed a little before she leant up, pressing a gentle kiss against his lips before she pulled away, repeating the same three words back to him before she pushed herself to her feet, mumbling something about morning sickness.

Lionel watched her out of the room for a couple of seconds before he rested back against his pillow, a soft smile playing at the corner of his mouth. He knew that it was going to take some time, things between him and Isabelle were going to be awkward for a little while, he was sure that they’d figure it out, even if it did take a little time, he was sure that they would get it right eventually.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)