When You Close Your Eyes

36: That’s Our Blob

Letting out a soft sigh, Isabelle shifted her weight a little, attempting to get herself slightly more comfortable on the cool tiled floor of the bathroom. It was early, a little earlier than Isabelle was used to waking up, but when a bout of nausea had struck her, she hadn’t been able to shake it, even if she had wanted to remain curled up beneath the duvet, she hadn’t been able to shift the sensation of wanting to throw up.

Closing her eyes for a couple of seconds, she rested her head back against bathtub before the sound of the bathroom door opening and closing reached her, causing her to lift her head, her blue eyes settling on Lionel who’d moved to sit beside her, a soft smile on his face. “How you feeling?” he posed, his hand gently moving to take a hold of hers.

Isabelle spared a soft glance towards their hands before she tilted her head back, letting out a small sigh. “I’ve been better” she mumbled quietly “But I am getting through it. What are you doing in here?” she posed gently.

Lionel admired her for a couple of seconds before he leant across, gently tucking some of her loose blonde hair off of her face. “I heard you get up” he mused softly “And I thought I had better come and check on you. This is half on me after all” he added, his dark eyes peeking down towards her stomach. it still felt a little odd, the idea that Isabelle was pregnant was one that still felt a little unfamiliar to them, but they were getting used to it, even if they weren’t entirely there yet, they were slowly growing used to the idea that they were only a matter of months away from welcoming a baby.

Isabelle followed the line of his stare before she shook her head, a soft smile pulling at the corner of her mouth. “You remember that we have an appointment with my midwife this afternoon, don’t you?” she posed, moving to rest her head against his shoulder.

Lionel quirked a small smile before he nodded, pressing a gentle kiss against the top of her head. “I do” he mused softly “Like I would forget that we’re going to see our little blob” he added, his hand gently moving to rest against her stomach.

Isabelle smiled at his words before she felt her stomach flip, something which caused her to pull away from him before she leant over the toilet, spilling the contents of her stomach.

Lionel startled a little, slightly surprised by her sudden movement, before he pushed himself up onto his feet, carefully moving to pull her blonde hair out of the way before he pressed a kiss against her shoulder, mumbling soft reassurances to her, something which made Isabelle smile a little.

She was more than a little glad that he had stuck around.

~#~
“You’re early”

Lionel, who’d been flicking through the messages on his phone, startled a little at the sound of Isabelle’s voice before he lifted his head, offering her a small smile. “I am” he confirmed softly “I mean, it took a little convincing, but coach let me go a few minutes early. I wanted to make sure that I got here on time” he added, his tone warm and excited.

Isabelle, who’d moved to sit down at his side, shook her head gently before she quirked a small smile, not missing the excitement in his voice. “You’re excited?” she quipped impishly.

Lionel rolled his eyes playfully. “That’s an understatement” he quipped “I can’t wait to see them again, Isa” he added gently.

Isabelle smiled warmly at his words before she carefully shifted her hand towards his, messing shyly with his fingers.

Lionel watched the movement of her fingers for a couple of seconds before he leant forwards, pressing a soft kiss against the top of her head before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached them, causing him to duck back, his dark eyes settling on the midwife who stood ahead of them, a fond smile on her face. “I am sorry for interrupting” Carla mused softly “But we’re ready for you, Isabelle” she added gently.

Isabelle nodded her head gently before she pushed herself up to her feet, following the midwife towards the small cubicle which stood a little away from the waiting room. “So, Isabelle” Carla mused softly “How are you feeling?” she posed.

Isabelle, who’d moved to settle up on the bed, shrugged. “I’m doing OK” she mused softly “I mean, I could do without the morning sickness, but I think I am doing alright” she added gently.

Carla nodded. “You’re 12 weeks now” she mused softly “And that means the nausea should start to wear off in the next few weeks, which is a good thing” she added, offering her a bright smile.

Isabelle returned her smile gently before she leant her head back, something which caused Carla to step towards her, gently pushing the material of her blouse off of her stomach. “I’ve looked over the tests you had done last week” she mused softly “And I am very happy with how things are going. I’d like to still see you every 2 weeks as this is your first, but I am happy. Things are progressing very nicely” she enthused softly.

“Are you sure?” Lionel, who was sat beside Isabelle, posed gently.

Carla, who’d moved to squirt a small amount of gel onto Isabelle’s stomach, nodded, offering him a small smile. “I’m very happy” she mused softly “But, if you ever have a concern or a question, you should feel free to call me” she added, her tone warm and reassuring.

Lionel offered her a small look before he nodded his head, something which made Carla smile gently before she flicked her attention back towards Isabelle, carefully running the scanner over the small bump on her stomach. “You’re 12 weeks now” the midwife mused “Which means we’re looking at a due date in August” she added.

Isabelle nodded her head gently before a soft thumping sound filled the air, causing her to flick her eyes towards the screen, her expression softening a little. “Leo…”

“Is that them?” Lionel interrupted, his dark eyes briefly leaving the screen to peek towards Carla who stood beside Isabelle, a warm grin perched on her face.

Carla nodded. “It is” she confirmed softly “Bump has a very strong heartbeat and he or she is a good size for this stage of the pregnancy. Bump’s doing very well” she enthused brightly before she stepped past him, musing about collecting them a copy of the scan.

Lionel watched the midwife out of the room for a couple of seconds before he felt a hand take his, something which caused him to flick his attention towards Isabelle. “Isa…”

“I know” Isabelle interjected softly “That’s our little bump” she added, a tearful smile on her face.

Lionel allowed the words to hang around them for a couple of seconds before he shook his head, a smile playing at the corner of his mouth. It had come as a surprise, the news that Isabelle was pregnant had knocked him for six, but still he was excited, even if it had come out of nowhere, he couldn’t wait for the baby to arrive.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)