When You Close Your Eyes

37: Ours

Sipping on the glass of juice he’d poured for himself, Lionel rested back against the kitchen counter, his dark eyes peeking at the sonogram picture which had been affixed to the front of the fridge. It had been a couple of days, after they’d visited Carla, Lionel and Isabelle had agreed to take a few days to relax a little, but still he found himself excited, even if the news of Isabelle’s pregnancy was still settling in, part of him was already counting down the days until the new addition arrived.

Taking another sip of his drink, he rested his head back for a couple of seconds, enjoying the comfortable silence, before the sound of footsteps reached his ears, causing him to lift his head, his dark eyes peeking towards Isabelle as she stepped into the room a sleepy expression on her face.

Quirking a small smile, he watched her for a couple of seconds before he cleared his throat, something which caused her to jump. “Lo siento” he mused softly “I didn’t mean to startle you. What are you doing up?” he added, stepping towards her slightly before he settled his arms around her, offering her a soft hug.

Isabelle smiled a little at the embrace before she shrugged. “I just woke up” she mused softly “And once I did, I had to throw up so I figured I could come and grab something to settle my stomach. What are you doing up so early?” she quipped, peeking up at him gently.

Lionel shrugged. “I woke up a little while ago and I didn’t want to disturb you so I came down here” he mused softly, his hand gently brushing over her stomach softly.

Isabelle watched the movement of his hand for a couple of seconds before she quirked a small smile, moving to press a soft kiss against his cheek. “You know” she mumbled softly “I don’t think you’ve stopped fussing over bump since we went to see Carla the other day” she added, a soft smile playing at the corner of her mouth. She found it sweet, since they’d visited their midwife, Lionel hadn’t been able to keep his hand away from her stomach, and it made Isabelle smile. It was a marked change from how he’d reacted when she’d first informed him that she was expecting.

Lionel, who was brushing his thumb over her bump, quirked a small smile before he ducked down, pressing a light kiss against her shoulder. “It’s a pretty big deal” he mumbled softly “And, whilst I know we’ve got a way to go, I am pretty excited about them coming along” he added gently.

Isabelle smiled a little at his words before she turned, moving to press a soft kiss against his lips. “You’re adorable” she fussed between light kisses.

Lionel smiled into the kiss briefly before he ducked back, resting his forehead against hers. “What time are you supposed to be done with work?” he posed softly, trying not to disturb the comfortable silence that had settled around the two of them.

Isabelle tilted her head. “I should be back here at about 5” she noted softly “Why?” she added.

Lionel offered her a soft look before he shifted his hands, knotting their fingers together. “You’re 12 weeks now” he noted softly “And whilst I know that your parents, and Grace, all know about the baby, I was thinking that it would be the right sort of time to contemplate calling my parents and telling them about bump” he added shyly, his fingers messing with hers.

Isabelle watched the movement of his fingers for a couple of seconds before she shook her head, a small smile on her face at the nervous tone of his voice. “Leo” she mused softly.

Lionel, who’d dropped his attention to their hands, startled a little at the sound of his name before he lifted his head. “We don’t have to” he mused gently “If you want to wait…”

“You can tell who you want, whenever you want to” Isabelle interrupted softly.

Lionel blinked a couple of times, slightly caught off guard by her interruption, before he tilted his head. “Are you sure?” he posed softly.

Isabelle giggled a little before she nodded her head. “Of course I am” she confirmed softly “Leo, this is our baby. Not mine, not yours, but ours, and I want you to know that. We’re stuck in this together” she added, her voice warm and reassuring.

Lionel mulled her words over for a couple of seconds before he quirked a small smile, something which made Isabelle lean up, pressing a brief kiss against his lips. “We will call your parents when I get home” she mused softly before she stepped away, musing about getting ready for work.

Lionel watched after her for a couple of seconds before he flicked his attention back towards the sonogram picture which was stuck on the front of the fridge, a grin playing at the corner of his mouth.

~#~
“Are you sure that you want to do this now?”

Lionel, who’d been setting the laptop up on the coffee table, startled a little at the sound of Isabelle’s voice before he lifted his head, offering her a soft smile. “I do” he confirmed softly “But, if you want to wait, we can. I just want to tell them before your bump becomes too noticeable” he added, his eyes briefly peeking down at her stomach.

Isabelle, who’d moved to sit at his side, offered him a soft look before she shook her head. “We should tell them” she mused softly, her expression slightly nervous.

Lionel admired her nervous expression briefly before he leant towards her, pressing a gentle kiss against her cheek. “You know, my parents love you” he enthused softly “And I am sure that they’re going to love this news too. They’ve been waiting for a grandchild from me for a while” he added, offering her an impish smile.

Isabelle offered him a slightly dubious look, something which made Lionel smile a little before he pressed another kiss against her cheek. “You’ll be fine” he enthused brightly before he flicked his attention towards the screen, smiling as his mother’s face came into view. “Mama” he greeted softly.

“Lionel” Celia quipped “It has been too long since you last called” she added softly.

“I know” Lionel mused softly “And I am sorry, but I’ve called for a very good reason today. Is papa around?” he posed, offering her a boyish smile.

Celia offered him a slightly dubious look before she shook her head. “He’s not here right now” she mused softly “But I am sure I can relay the message to him. What is the reason for a call from the two of you?” she posed, offering a brief smile towards Isabelle who ducked her head, a soft blush playing on her cheeks.

Lionel smiled a little at the sight of the blush on her cheeks before he flicked his attention back towards the computer. “We have some news” he mused softly.

Celia blinked a couple of times before she shook her head. “If the two of you have eloped, I am going to be on the first plane out to Barcelona. Lionel…”

“Mama, Isabelle’s pregnant” Lionel interrupted softly.

Celia startled, slightly surprised by his interruption, before she tilted her head. “What?” she breathed softly.

“I’m pregnant” Isabelle mused softly “About 12 weeks now, and we thought we’d call to let you know that, in a few months’ time, you’re going to have a new grandchild” she added softly before she shifted her hands, showing off the sonogram picture she’d collected from the kitchen.

Celia blinked a couple of times, her eyes fixed on the picture, before she shook her head. “You two…you’re going to have a baby?” she breathed softly.

Lionel smiled a little at the awed tone of her voice before he shifted slightly, wrapping his arm around Isabelle’s waist before he nodded. “We are” he mused softly.

Celia was quiet for a few seconds before she shook her head, a wide, slightly tearful, smile on her face, a sight which caused Lionel to grin a little, glad that the news had gone down so well.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)