When You Close Your Eyes

46: Thinking Ahead

“Are you sure that this is really how you want to spend your day off?”

Lionel, who was stood in the middle of the spare room, startled a little at the sound of Isabelle’s voice before he turned slightly, offering her a crooked smile. It had been a little while, after his conversation with Grace and the baby’s first kick, a couple of weeks had passed, and with both Lionel and Isabelle having the day off, he’d opted to get started on the nursery, not wanting to leave it until the last minute.

“We have to get started on it eventually” he mused softly “And seeing as neither of us has other plans, today seems like a good opportunity. You have other plans?” he posed, offering her a small impish smile.

Isabelle, who was stood in the door way, rolled her eyes playfully before she shook her head. “I don’t” she mused softly “But I was just asking. It’s been a little while since you had a day off and I wanted to make sure that this was how you wanted to spend it” she added gently.

Lionel offered her a soft look before he stepped towards her, his arms happily wrapping around her waist. “It has been a little while” he mused softly “But this is something I want to do. We’re going to need a nursery, Isa, in a few months, we’re going to have a baby, and I want to start preparing for them, even if it is just painting a couple of walls. I’d like to make a start” he added, his hand gently moving to pass over her bump.

He knew that they still had a little way to go, they still had more than 3 months before Isabelle’s due date arrived, but he wanted to make a start, even if it was only a couple of small steps forwards. He wanted to start preparing for the arrival of their son or daughter.

Isabelle watched the movement of his hand for a couple of seconds before she shook her head, a soft smile on her face. “I guess that we can make a start” she teased gently.

Lionel rolled his eyes playfully before he moved to press a soft kiss against her cheek. “I’ll go and find the paint” he mused softly before he ducked out of the room.

Isabelle watched after him for a couple of seconds before she shook her head, a small smile on her face. It was still a little tense, every now and again, she and Lionel lapsed into awkward silence or babbled too much, but she had to admit that she was pleased with how things were going between them, even if she was a little nervous about how things would change when their baby arrived, she was glad that they seemed to have put things back together.

~#~
“You know, if you wanted to head downstairs, I’d not mind” Lionel mused softly, his foot gently nudging against Isabelle’s back. It had been a long morning, even despite the fact that the bedroom they’d chosen to become the nursery was a small, it had taken a while to paint, but Lionel had to admit that he was pleased with their progress, even if he had done the majority of the work, he had enjoyed working on it with Isabelle.

Isabelle, who’d been finishing off a patch on the wall, lifted her head at the sound of his voice before she quirked a small smile, shaking her head a little. “I’m alright” she mused softly “Besides, once I’ve finished this part, it’ll be finished” she added gently.

Lionel offered her a slightly dubious look, wordlessly asking if she was certain, before he nodded his head, moving to sit down on the floor beside her. “I think it will take another coat of paint, and obviously we’ll have to build some furniture, but I think that this will be a pretty great nursery” he enthused softly, breaking the comfortable silence which had settled over them.

“It will” Isabelle agreed softly “I think we’ve done a pretty good job” she added, offering him a slightly impish grin.

Lionel quirked a small smile at her words before he carefully shifted his hand, resting it against her bump for a couple of moments before he felt a soft kick against his palm, something which caused his smile to widen a little.

Isabelle, who’d been watching him quietly, admired the soft look on his face before she carefully cupped his cheek, tilting his head so that she could press a soft kiss against his lips. “You’re going to miss my bump when it’s gone” she quipped, offering him a soft smile. It was a trait of his, as soon as her bump had become noticeable, Lionel had developed a habit of placing his hand on it at every opportunity, and Isabelle had to admit that she found it sweet. She liked the way that he was more than keen to fuss over her bump.

Lionel shrugged a little before he shook his head. “I like you with a bump” he mused softly “But I think I will probably like us with a baby a little more. I know we’re still a way away from meeting them, Isa, but I can’t wait” he added, his voice soft and warm.

Isabelle smiled a little at the tone of his voice before she shifted her hand, resting it atop of his which still sat against her bump. “What do you think about the name Oscar?” she posed softly, her fingers shyly playing with his.

Lionel watched the movement of her fingers for a couple of seconds before he tilted his head. “You’re thinking of names?” he posed.

“I’ve given it a little thought” Isabelle confirmed softly “I mean, I know we’re still a way away from their arrival, but I thought it couldn’t hurt to have a couple in mind” she babbled, a soft hint of pink on her cheeks.

Lionel admired the soft hint of colour on her cheeks before he shook his head, a soft smile on his lips. “I love that you’re thinking of names, Isa” he mused softly.

“You do?” Isabelle posed.

Lionel chuckled a little before he nodded his head. “Of course I do” he noted “I love the idea that you’re thinking ahead” he added, his hand offering hers a soft squeeze. He knew that it wasn’t a big thing, the idea that Isabelle was thinking of potential names for their son or daughter was only a small step forwards, but Lionel had to admit that he liked it, even if they did still have a way to go, he liked the idea that she was as excited about the impending arrival as he was.

Isabelle offered him a slightly dubious look, wordlessly asking if he was sure, before she quirked a soft smile, something which made Lionel lean towards her, sneaking a couple of quick kisses. “Why don’t we take a break?” he noted softly “We can go downstairs, grab some lunch, and talk about names if you want” he added, sneaking another kiss.

Isabelle mulled his words over for a couple of seconds before she offered him a small nod, something which made Lionel smile a little, slightly excited about the idea.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)