When You Close Your Eyes

49: A Little While Longer

“Are you sure that you really want to come tonight?”

Isabelle, who was curled up on the couch, quirked a soft smile at the sound of Lionel’s voice before she shook her head, flicking her eyes towards the screen of her laptop.

It had been a few weeks, after her mother’s visit, a couple of months had passed, and with Barcelona’s season due to end that night, Isabelle was due to travel to the game, something which she was looking forwards to, even if her bump had gotten bigger, part of her couldn’t wait to head to the final of the Spanish cup competition. It had been a tough season, with Real Madrid having run away with the league title, Barcelona had had to settle for second, but Isabelle was confident that they could win the cup, even if the final did see them against Atletico Madrid, she was confident of a favorable result.

“It’s your last game of the season, Leo” she mused softly “And I want to be there, just like I have been every year since we started to date. Do you not want me to come?” she posed, an impish grin on her face.

Lionel rolled his eyes a little before he shook his head. “You know that I want you here” he noted softly “But I was simply offering you the opportunity to duck out. You’re very pregnant, Isa, and I’d not be offended if you wanted to stay home. I’d really not mind” he mused, his expression soft and thoughtful.

Isabelle admired the expression on his features briefly before she shook her head, a soft smile on her face. “You’re very sweet for worrying about me” she mused softly “But I will have Grace and Shakira with me, and I’m sure that I’ll be fine. We’re still a few weeks away from them arriving, Leo” she enthused softly.

It still felt a little odd, the idea that they were only a matter of weeks away from the arrival of their baby, but as more weeks passed, Isabelle grew more excited, even if she did still have the odd worry about them, part of her was counting down to the day that the baby put in his or her first appearance.

Lionel offered her a look, his expression slightly uncertain, before he nodded his head. “If you’re sure” he quipped softly.

“I’m certain” Isabelle replied softly before the sound of Andres’ voice emanated away from the laptop, something which caused her to shake her head, a soft smile on her lips. “You have to go” she mused softly.

“I do” Lionel confirmed “But I will see you after the game” he added, offering her a small smile.

“You will do” Isabelle agreed “Good luck tonight, mi amor” she enthused softly.

Lionel offered her another brief smile before he hung up the call, something which allowed Isabelle to rest back into the couch slightly, her hand gently brushing against her bump. They still had a little way to go, it was only the end of May and the baby wasn’t due until the start of August, but still Isabelle was excited, even if they did still have a while to wait, she couldn’t wait to hold her son or her daughter for the first time.

~#~
“You have a bump”

Isabelle, who’d been trying to get comfortable in her seat, rolled her eyes a little before she shook her head, her blue eyes peeking up at Shakira who stood ahead of her, a wide smile on her face. “I’d noticed that” she quipped brightly “It’s sort of what happens when you’re pregnant” she added playfully before she pushed herself up to her feet, moving to greet her friend gently.

“I know it is” Shakira quipped, moving to settle her youngest son down into his seat “But the last time I saw you face to face, you were barely showing, and now look at you” she added, her hand gesturing towards the bump which stuck out from beneath the shirt Isabelle wore.

Isabelle spared a soft look down at her bump before she quirked a shy smile, something which Shakira smile softly. She had been worried, before the news of her pregnancy, things between Isabelle and Lionel had been struggling a little, and she was glad to see the two of them looking so happy, even if the dynamics between them were likely to shift a little once the baby had arrived, she was happy for the two of them. “You can’t be far away now” she mused, settling into her seat “Is Leo excited yet?” she posed.

Isabelle, who’d been fussing with a loose strand of her blonde hair, quirked a soft smile before she nodded her head. “I think he is” she mused “I mean, since I told him, he’s developed a habit of fussing over my bump when he can, and I think he’s looking forwards to them arriving, even if he is a little nervous. I think he’s more excited” she added gently.

Shakira admired the soft smile on her face briefly before she shifted her hand, moving to squeeze Isabelle’s reassuringly. “It’s daunting” she noted “I mean, you’re going to have a baby, Belle, but I promise you, nothing compares to it, and I am sure that when bump arrives, you and Leo will do a wonderful job” she added, offering Isabelle’s hand a soft squeeze.

Isabelle peeked down at their hands for a couple of seconds before she quirked a small smile, wordlessly thanking Shakira for her reassuring words.

~#~
Standing towards the side of the pitch, Isabelle quirked a soft smile, her blue eyes settled on Lionel who stood a little away from her, posing for pictures with his teammates. It had been a tough match, like most matches against Atletico Madrid, the game had been difficult for Barcelona, but thanks to a couple of goals from Luis Suarez and one from Lionel, Barcelona had snuck the win 3-2, something Isabelle could see meant a lot to the team.

Shifting her feet a little, she adjusted the material of her shirt before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached her, causing her to lift her head, her blue eyes mirroring Lionel’s. “I thought you were still celebrating?” she quipped, offering him a soft smile.

“I was” Lionel replied “But I figured I ought to come and check on you. How are you feeling?” he posed, his hand gently moving to brush against her bump, earning a couple of swift kicks.

Isabelle spared a soft look down towards his hand before she stepped towards him, pressing a soft kiss against his cheek “I’m fine, Leo” she mused softly “I mean, I got slightly uncomfortable in my seat, but it’s nothing I can’t handle, I promise you” she added, her fingertips gently pushing the dark hair off of his forehead.

Lionel offered her a slightly dubious look, wordlessly asking if she was sure, before he heard someone call his name, something which made him sigh a little. “I’ve still got a couple of interviews to do” he mused softly “But I will see later?” he added, offering her a soft look.

“Of course you will” Isabelle mused softly “Congratulations on the win, Leo” she added gently.

Lionel offered her a brief smile before he ducked into her, stealing a couple of brisk kisses before he padded away.

Isabelle watched after him briefly before she shook her head, a small smile playing at the corner of her mouth as she moved to settle her hand on her bump, her blue eyes watching the rest of the team who padded around her. She knew that they had a while to go, with her due date in August, they still had a little under 3 months before it arrived, but Isabelle couldn’t help but feel a little excited about the idea of the new arrival. She couldn’t wait to meet them for the first time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comment :)