When You Close Your Eyes

58: You’ll Have To Get Used To Me

“You know, I wasn’t quite expecting to see you here tonight”

Isabelle, who’d been trying to get settled in her seat, startled a little at the sound of Shakira’s voice before she lifted her head, offering the singer a soft smile. It had been a while, with her pregnancy and Isla’s arrival, it had been months since Isabelle had travelled to the Nou Camp to watch Barcelona play, but with the little girl approaching almost 3 months old, Isabelle had opted to take Lionel up on his offer of a ticket, even if he had offered her more than one opportunity to duck out, a small part of her was excited by the opportunity to watch her boyfriend play.

“It was a last minute thing” Isabelle quipped “I mean, I know Leo’s been itching to have Isla at a game since she was born and I figured, with her nearing 3 months, I’d come along. What are you doing here?” she posed, her fingertips gently straightening the small hat which had been perched on the top of the dark curls of hair which had started to form on the top of Isla’s head.

“It’s been a while” Shakira quipped “And I figured, seeing as I am going away next week for a few days, that we’d come by. Gerard loves it when we come to his games” she added, moving to settle her two boys down.

Isabelle offered her a small nod before she flicked her attention back towards the pitch, her eyes quickly locating Lionel who stood on the edge of the penalty area, waiting for the pass to reach him. It had been a good start to the season, after missing out on the league title the season before, Barca had been determined to make sure that they put up a better fight, and Isabelle was glad that things were going well for them, even if they did still have a way to go until the end of the season, she was pleased that things were going better for them that season.

Ensuring that Isla was comfortable in her lap, Isabelle flicked her attention towards the goal which sat closest to them, a small smile playing on her lips as she watched Lionel exchange passes with Luis before he darted into the box, only to have his progress halted by a rash tackle from the defender which caused the argentine to fall to floor, his hands gripping at his ankle as the sound of the referee’s whistle filled the air.

Isabelle blinked a couple of times, her expression slightly soft, before she felt Shakira’s hand nudge her shoulder, causing her to look up. “You know, if you want me to, I can watch Isla” the singer offered softly “If you wanted to go and check on him, I mean. It might not be as bad as it looks, but…”

“You’d not mind?” Isabelle interjected, her voice soft and slightly uncertain.

“Not at all” Shakira mused “I know you’re a worrier” she added, offering her a half-hearted smile.

Isabelle returned it gently before she carefully pushed herself up to her feet, moving to settle the little girl in her friend’s arms. “She’s got all she’s going to need in the bag” she mused, carefully pushing the nappy bag towards her friend “If you need anything…”

“I’ll call you” Shakira interrupted softly “But right now, you should go and check on that boyfriend of yours. I am sure that me and Isla will be fine” she added, offering Isabelle a soft smile.

Isabelle offered her a soft look, wordlessly enquiring if she was sure, before she nodded her head, moving to slip out of her seat. It wasn’t time, since they’d gotten together, Lionel had gotten injured more than once, but still it unsettled her, even if he did insist that it was fine. She had never liked seeing him in pain.

~#~
Resting back against the bed he sat on, Lionel spared a soft sigh, his dark eyes settled on his ankle which had been quickly taped up by the medical staff. He hated it, the idea of missing any games for Barcelona irked him, but he knew that it couldn’t be avoided, even if six weeks wasn’t the longest period of time, he knew that he was going to miss a selection of matches.

Squeezing his eyes closed, he allowed another sigh to fall out of his mouth before the sound of a knock at the door reached him, causing him to lift his head, his dark eye settling on Isabelle who stood sheepishly in the door way. “I didn’t mean to disturb you” she murmured softly “I just…I saw the challenge and I thought I’d come and see if you were OK” she added, the tone of her voice shy. It wasn’t the first time, on more than one occasion, Lionel had found himself injured, and Isabelle knew that she had to tread carefully, even if it didn’t have anything to do with her. She knew that missing games was something which frustrated him.

Lionel allowed her words to hang around them for a couple of seconds before he shook his head, a frustrated sigh falling out of his mouth. “They think I could be out for up to 6 weeks” he mumbled softly, his fingers pushing back through his hair “They’ve ruled out a break and any ligament damage, but it’s most likely to be sprained and that means I’ll be out for a few weeks” he added, his dark eyes glaring down towards his ankle.

Isabelle admired the expression on his features before she padded towards him, carefully settling down on the side of the bed. “I’m sorry” she mumbled softly, her fingers gently knotting through his.

Lionel watched their fingers for a couple of seconds before he shook his head, his hand offering hers a gentle squeeze. “It’s not your fault” he noted gently.

“I know it’s not” Isabelle agreed softly “But I know how much you hate it and I’m sorry you got hurt” she added, a soft hint of pink on her cheeks.

Lionel marveled at the blush on her cheeks before he ducked towards her, pressing a couple of light kisses against her cheek. “You’re adorable, you know that?” he fussed.

Isabelle giggled a little, something which made Lionel smile softly. “You know, you’re probably going to have to get used to me being around a little more for the next few weeks” he mused, his fingers poking her side playfully.

Isabelle let out a small laugh, trying to squirm away from his touch, before she carefully lifted her hand, cupping his cheek gently before she pressed a soft kiss against his lips. “I think I’ll be able to cope” she mumbled between soft kisses “Besides, I am sure that Isla will love having you around a little more. I know she’s only little, but she’s already quite the papa’s girl” she enthused, her fingertips gently pushing through his dark hair.

Lionel leant into her soft touch before he quirked a gentle smile, his dark eyes marveling at her for a couple of seconds before he leant into her, stealing another soft kiss. It wasn’t something he enjoyed, being injured was something which tended to frustrate him, and whilst he was a little irked that the injury had happened, a small part of him was looking forwards to having more time to spend with Isla and Isabelle. He enjoyed spending time with the two of them and wanted to make the most of it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)