When You Close Your Eyes

60: A Long Time Coming

Pushing a hand back through her hair, Isabelle took a small breath in, her blue eyes fixed on the reflection which stared back at her from the mirror. It had been a couple of days, after they’d agreed to elope, they’d taken a couple of days to think it through before they did it, but with only a couple of days left before they were due to travel back to Barcelona, they’d chosen that day as their wedding day, something which excited Isabelle, even if she was slightly nervous about the prospect of getting married, a small part of her couldn’t wait to walk away as Lionel’s wife.

Offering her reflection another look, she let out a small nervous sigh before she carefully shifted her hands, gently smoothing out the material of the dress she wore. She knew that it was little sudden, the idea that she and Lionel were going to elope had come out of the blue, but still Isabelle adored the idea, even if she knew that there was a chance people would be hurt by the idea they’d gotten married without them, she was excited by the prospect of the two of them making it up the aisle.

Gently straightening out another piece of hair, she moved away from the mirror and towards the wardrobe, moving to collect a pair shoes before the sound of Lionel clearing his throat reached her, causing her to lift her head, peeking towards where he stood in the doorway, Isla cuddled into his arms. “Are you nearly ready to get moving?” he posed softly.

Isabelle, who’d moved to settle down on the side of the bed, nodded. “I think so” she quipped softly “I’ve just got to put on my shoes and then we should be ready to go. Are you ready?” she added, peeking up at him with a slightly nervous expression on her features.

Lionel admired the soft look on her face briefly before he padded towards the bed, gently settling down at her side. “You know” he mused softly “If this isn’t how you want to do things, then we don’t have to do it. I’ll be more than happy to wait if that’s what you want” he added, his spare hand gently moving to squeeze hers.

He knew that she was nervous, since they’d woken up that morning, she had looked more than a little apprehensive, and he wanted to offer her the chance to change her mind, even if he was excited about the idea of them getting married, he didn’t want her to feel pressured or uncomfortable.

Isabelle spared a soft look down at their hands before she shook her head. “I want to do it” she quipped softly.

“Are you sure?” Lionel posed “Because if you’re having second thoughts…”

“I want to marry you, Leo” Isabelle interrupted softly “And I kind of like the idea of doing it today. What do you think?” she posed, offering him a small impish smile.

Lionel marveled at the smile on her face before he chuckled, shaking his head a little. “I think today sounds pretty perfect” he enthused brightly.

Isabelle smiled a little at his words before she carefully leant towards him, pressing a brief kiss against his lips before she ducked back, gently fixing his tie. “We should get moving” she murmured softly “You’re 100% certain about this?” she added softly.

Lionel offered her a soft look before he leant into her, pressing another kiss against her lips. “I am” he breathed softly “You’re going to be my wife” he added gently.

Isabelle’s cheeks warmed a little at his words before she nodded, a bashful smile on her lips. It was strange thought, the idea that, by the end of the, she and Lionel would be more than just boyfriend and girlfriend, but she knew that it was what she wanted, even if their wedding wasn’t exactly how she’d envisaged it. Part of her couldn’t wait to become his wife.

~#~
“Have I mentioned just how beautiful you look right now?”

Isabelle, who was quietly scanning through the text messages on her phone, startled a little at the sound of Lionel’s voice before she shook her head, rolling her eyes playfully. “You’ve said that more than once since we sat down” she quipped “I am starting to think you’re a little bit excited about this” she added, her hand gently moving to take a hold his.

Lionel scoffed playfully before he offered her hand a soft squeeze, something which made Isabelle shake her head, a soft smile playing on her lips. “I love you” she murmured softly “I mean, I don’t quite know if I tell you that enough, but I just want you to know that I do” she added, her tone a little shy.

Lionel smiled a little at her soft tone her voice before he carefully leant over, pressing a gentle kiss against her temple. “I know you do, Isa” he murmured softly “And whilst I know we’ve had our moments in the last 4 and a bit years, I know that I’d not change it. I love how things are for us, Isa” he added, his thumb gently brushing over the back of her hand.

Isabelle watched the movement of his thumb for a couple of seconds before she shifted slightly, moving to rest her head against his shoulder, something which made Lionel smile a little before he ducked his head, pressing a soft kiss against her temple.

“Sir?”

Lionel, who’d been quietly enjoying the comfortable embrace that he and Isabelle sat in, startled a little at the sound of the voice before he lifted his head, settling his eyes on the woman who stood ahead of them. “Yes?” he posed.

“We’re ready for you” the woman mused softly.

Lionel nodded his head softly before he flicked his attention towards Isabelle, his dark eyes searching her face. “You’re 100% about this, aren’t you?” he posed softly, his fingertips gently pushing some of her loose blonde hair off of her face “Because, if you’re not…”

“I’m 100% sure” Isabelle interrupted, a soft smile on her face “I promise you, this is what I want” she added, offering his hand a soft squeeze.

Lionel offered her one more dubious look, wordlessly asking if she was sure, before he quirked a soft smile, moving to follow after the other woman. He knew that it was sudden, the idea of eloping was one that had come along out of the blue, but still he was glad that Isabelle had agreed, even if he knew that it had potential to upset their friends and families, he couldn’t wait for them to walk away as husband and wife.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)