When You Close Your Eyes

63: It’s Not A Problem

Pulling the material of her coat a little more around herself, Isabelle peeked around the airport terminal, her stomach twitching a little. It had been a while, after they’d visited to meet Isla when she had come along, Isabelle hadn’t seen her mother and father face to face, but with their vacation due to take them away for the holidays she knew that she had a little choice to invite them over, even if she was slightly nervous about accidentally revealing the fact that she and Lionel had eloped, she didn’t want to deny them the opportunity to make a fuss of Isla in the run up to her first Christmas.

She knew that it wasn’t a big deal, the idea that she and Lionel were already married was one that nobody could change, but still a small part of her was worried about the prospect of her parents finding out, even if they did intend to plan a wedding regardless, she knew that her parents wouldn’t take the news of missing their oldest daughter’s wedding day well.

Adjusting the material of the scarf which sat around her neck, she allowed her blue eyes to scan over the airport terminal once more before she felt a hand tap against her shoulder, something which caused her to let out a soft squeak in surprise.

“Lo siento” Marco quipped as Isabelle turned to look at him “I didn’t mean to scare you” he added gently.

“It’s OK” Isabelle mused softly “I was in my own little world. Where is madre?” she posed.

“She just headed to the bathroom” Marco replied “But she should be with us any minute. You didn’t bring Lionel with you?” he posed.

Isabelle shook her head. “One of us needed to stay with Isla and, with Leo due at training almost as soon as we get back to ours, I figured I should come and get you and give him the chance to get ready. Why, you miss him?” she quipped, offering him a small impish smile.

Things were still a little tense, even despite the fact that Isabelle and Lionel had put things back together, both Marco and Francesca were still a little wary of the argentine, and whilst Isabelle didn’t want to get in the middle of it, she wanted to encourage her parents to warm to Lionel again, even if it did take them a little time. She wanted them to get used to the idea that he wasn’t going anywhere.

Marco rolled his eyes playfully. “I was simply looking forwards to reminding him that Barca are behind Madrid in the table, but I am sure that it can wait until later” he mused brightly.

Isabelle scoffed playfully before she spotted her mother out of the corner of her eye, something which caused her to bend down, collecting one of the bags from the trolley which stood ahead of her father. “We should get moving” she noted “I promised Leo that I’d be back pretty quickly” she added softly.

Marco nodded his head, agreeing with her, before he moved to collect the other bags, moving to follow Isabelle towards the exit. He knew that she was a little nervous, even despite her attempts to hide it, he could see that Isabelle felt a little uncertain, and he wanted to alleviate it, even if he was still a little uncertain about things between her and Lionel, he wanted to ensure that things between them were as good as they could be.

~#~
“Are you sure that you don’t mind us staying here, Belle?”

Isabelle, who was trying to find her key in her bag, startled a little at the sound of her mother’s voice before she lifted her head, offering her a small smile. “We’re sure, mama” she mused softly.

“Really?” Francesca pressed “Because if it is a problem, I am sure that we can find a hotel. It really wouldn’t matter” she added, offering her daughter a soft look.

Isabelle admired the expression on her face before she shook her head, offering her mother a soft smile in return. “You’re more than welcome here, mama” she mused softly “You always have been, and that’s not something that’s going to change. I promise you, it’s not a problem” she enthused softly before she flicked her attention back towards her bag, quickly locating her key before she pushed the door open, leading her parents inside.

“Isabelle?”

Isabelle, who’d moved to toe off her shoes, smiled a little at the sound of Lionel’s voice before she lifted her head, peeking towards where he stood in the door way, Isla settled in his arms. “Hola” she quipped softly.

Lionel offered her a gentle look before he took a couple of steps towards her, gently moving to settle Isla into her arms. “I hate to rush off” he mused softly “But I am due in training in a little while and I need to get moving. Do you mind?” he added, his voice soft and kind. He knew that she was nervous, since she had woken up that morning she had looked more than a little apprehensive about the idea of her parents arriving, and whilst he wanted to stay with her, he knew that he couldn’t simply duck out of training, even if he wanted to, he knew that he had to go.

Isabelle admired the gentle expression on his face for a couple of seconds before she quirked a small smile, moving to press a soft kiss against his cheek. “I don’t mind at all” she mused softly.

Lionel offered her a dubious look, wordlessly asking if she was sure, before he nodded his head. “OK” he mused softly “I should get moving. Marco, Francesca…”

“We’ll save the catching up for later, Lionel” Marco interrupted, a warm grin on his face “It’s been a while and I’d love the opportunity to talk football with you” he added teasingly.

Lionel chuckled a little before he nodded his head. “I would like that too, Marco” he confirmed gently.

Marco offered him another kind grin before he and Francesca excused themselves, leaving Lionel alone with his wife. “I shouldn’t be gone for too long” he quipped softly as he stepped a little closer to her “A couple of hours at the most” he added, his fingers gently tucking a piece of her loose blonde hair behind her ear.

Isabelle watched the movement of his fingers before she shook her head, a soft smile on her face. “I’m going to be fine” she mused softly “I mean, I am a little nervous about…you know what, but I am sure I’ll be able to cope. They’re my parents” she added softly.

Lionel offered her another slightly dubious look, asking her if she was certain, before he nodded his head. “Ok” he mused softly “I’ll see you when I get back?” he posed.

Isabelle quirked another small smile before she leant into him, sneaking a couple of quick kisses before she tugged away, mumbling about seeing him later before she stepped out of the room. Lionel watched her go for a couple of seconds before he shook his head, a small knot twitching in the pit of his stomach at thought of Marco and Francesca finding out that they’d missed Isabelle getting married.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)