When You Close Your Eyes

78: Now Isn’t The Time

Staring up at the ceiling which sat above his head, Lionel allowed a soft sigh to fall out of his mouth, his ears doused by the silence which filled the bedroom he sat in. It had been a couple of days, after he’d visited Isabelle at Grace’s home, things between the two of them had been more than awkward, and whilst he was disappointed that things between the two of them seemed to have taken several large steps backwards, he knew that it was something he merely had to handle, even if he did miss sharing a bed with her, he knew that it would take some time for the two of them to figure things out.

Pushing a hand back through his hair, he stared up at the ceiling for a few more moments before the sound of his phone buzzing on the end table caught his attention, causing him to let out another soft sigh before he flicked the alarm off, moving to pull a t-shirt over his head. Sparing a small look towards the mirror, he briefly scanned his reflection before he padded towards the door, quietly making his way down towards kitchen where Isabelle sat, quietly cooing to Isla who sat in her lap, giggling brightly.

Quirking a small smile, he rested against the frame of the door, admiring the two of them for a couple of seconds before the sound of Isabelle clearing her throat reached his ears, causing him to jump a little. “Huh?” he spluttered.

Isabelle, who’d moved to settle Isla down in her seat, offered him a soft look before she shook her head, a weak smile pulling at the corner of her lips. “I’ve made breakfast” she mused softly “You know, if you want some” she added, her voice soft and nervous.

It wasn’t the first time, since she had returned home, she had appeared nervous and uncertain whenever he was in the room, and whilst Lionel was upset by the idea that she didn’t feel comfortable around him, he knew that he couldn’t push her, even if he did miss the physical affection of their relationship, he knew that he had couldn’t push her into anything.

Lionel offered her a soft look before he nodded his head, an awkward smile on his face. “I’d love some” he noted softly.

Isabelle nodded her head gently before she padded towards the cupboard, retrieving a couple of plates before she settled them down on the table. “You remember that we have a midwife’s appointment this afternoon, don’t you?” she posed, breaking the awkward silence which had settled around the two of them.

It wasn’t the first one, since she had come home a couple of days previous, conversations between her and Lionel seemed to be littered with awkward silences and babbled words, but she knew that it wasn’t something which was going to change quickly, even if a small part of her did miss the way things had been, she knew it was going to take a while for the two of them to figure things out between them.

Lionel, who’d moved to greet Isla, startled a little at the sound of her voice before he lifted his head, offering her a small nod. “I do” he mused softly “It’s 1:30, isn’t it?” he added.

Isabelle nodded. “It is” she confirmed gently “Are you going to be able to make it on time?” she added softly.

“It might take a little convincing” he noted softly “But I am sure that coach will understand. I should be on time” he added gently.

Isabelle offered him a soft look before she nodded her head quietly, something which made Lionel sigh a little before he shook his head, his hand gently moving to take a hold of hers which fiddled with the napkin which sat on the table ahead of her. “You know that we need to talk, don’t you?” he mumbled softly, his hand gently squeezing hers.

Isabelle spared a look down towards their hands before she nodded her head, her fingers gently fidgeting with his. “I know that we do” she mumbled softly, her eyes not shifting away from their hands “But now isn’t the time. You’ve got to get moving soon” she added gently before she leant into him, pressing a brief kiss against his cheek before she moved to collect Isla and step out of the room.

Lionel watched after her for a couple of seconds before he shook his head a soft sigh falling out of his mouth. He knew that it was going to take a while, after the way that he behaved, things between the two of them weren’t likely to simply fall back into place, but still he wanted to try and make things better, even if it did take a while, the last thing he wanted was to let Isabelle walk away from what they had between the two of them.

~#~
“So, Isabelle, how are you feeling?” Carla posed, her eyes peeking towards the blonde who sat on the examination bed.

Isabelle, who’d moved to get a little more comfortable, shrugged softly. “I’m OK” she mused softly “I mean, the nausea is no fun, but I think I am doing Ok” she added, her fingers fiddling with the zip on her coat.

Carla jotted something down into Isabelle’s notes before she lifted her head, offering the blonde a soft smile. “I’ve looked over your test results, Isabelle” she noted softly.

“Is there anything to be worried about?” Lionel posed, taking a seat in the chair which sat beside the bed.

Carla smiled a little at the concerned tone of his voice before she shook her head. “The tests she had done confirmed that she is pregnant, but they didn’t show up any problems, something we’re very happy with. We’d like to do an ultrasound to try and date the pregnancy and then we’ll talk about setting up our next appointment” she added as she moved to collect the gel, her other hand gently scooting the material of Isabelle’s shirt away from her stomach. “This is going to be a little cool, Isabelle” she added gently.

Isabelle flinched a little at the sensation of the gel against her stomach, something which caused Lionel to take a hold of her hand, offering it a gentle squeeze.

Carla smiled a little at the small affectionate action before she moved to collect the scanner, running it over Isabelle’s stomach for a couple of seconds before she peeked up towards the couple. “If you look just there” she mused, gently running her finger over the image which filled the screen “You’ll see your baby” she added softly.

Lionel, who’d been quietly messing with Isabelle’s fingers, looked up at the sound of the midwife’s voice, his dark eyes softening a little at the sight of the screen. “That’s them?” he squeaked softly.

Carla nodded. “It is” she confirmed softly “And I have to say, things are looking very good. You’re a little way along, Isabelle, from this image, I’d say 8 or 9 weeks, which means you’re looking at a due date in late December or early January, but I will try and be a little more specific at the next scan. Now, whilst this is your second baby, I’d still like to see you every couple of weeks. Is that alright?” she posed softly.

Isabelle, who’d been peeking towards the screen, nodded her head, something which made Carla smile before she ducked out of the room, mumbling about setting up their next appointment.

Lionel watched after the midwife for a couple of seconds before he flicked his attention towards Isabelle, not missing the soft expression she wore on her features. Watching her for a second, he quirked a small smile before he carefully leant into her, preparing to press a kiss against her lips. Isabelle, however, turned her head, allowing him to press the kiss against her cheek, something which caused him to sigh, knowing that it was going to take a lot of work to fix things between the two of them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to mslou1, FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)