When You Close Your Eyes

80: We’ll Get Back To Us

“You know, if you’re not sure about coming tonight, I’d not mind if you stayed here”

Isabelle, who was carefully dressing Isla, jumped a little at the sound of Lionel’s voice before she lifted her head, her blue eyes peeking towards where he stood in the door way, a soft smile playing at the corner of his mouth. It had been a little while, after the conversation that they had had about their relationship, a couple of weeks had passed, and whilst things were still awkward between the two of them, they were making progress, something which pleased Isabelle.

She was under no illusions, after the fight that she and Lionel had had, it was going to take them some time to put things back together, but she was glad that they were making some sort of progress, even if it was slow moving, she was glad that they’d not simply given up on things between them.

“I thought that you wanted us there” Isabelle quipped with a grin, her fingers straightening out the small Barcelona shirt that Isla wore.

Lionel, who’d moved to step a little deeper into the room, offered her a soft look before he nodded his head, moving to sit down on the bed beside her. “I do want you to be there” he noted softly “I mean, we’ve been together for 5 years and you’ve not missed the last game of the season once, but I figured, since things are still a little off between us, that I’d offer you the opportunity to duck out” he added softly, his expression soft and thoughtful.

Isabelle, who’d moved to collect Isla’s shoes from the floor beside the bed, offered him a soft look before she shook her head, a soft sigh falling out of her mouth. It wasn’t the first time, since they’d agreed to give their relationship another shot, Lionel had appeared uncertain and nervous around her, and whilst Isabelle hated that things seemed so awkward between the two of them, she knew that it wasn’t simply going to go away, even if she did miss the way things were between them, she knew it would take them some time to put things back together again.

Offering him a soft look, she mulled his words over for a couple of seconds before she carefully moved her hand, knotting their fingers together. “I want to go, Leo” she murmured softly “It’s the last match of the season, and I want to be there. Do you still want us there?” she added, peeking up at him softly.

Lionel admired the soft expression she wore before he nodded his head, a soft smile on his face. “I’d love you both to be there” he noted softly.

Isabelle quirked a small smile at his words before she carefully leant across, pressing a gentle kiss against his cheek. “Then we’ll be there” she noted softly, her blue eyes mirroring his darker ones.

Lionel smiled a little at the feeling of her lips against his cheek before he carefully tilted his head, preparing to press a soft kiss against her lips. Shifting his hand, he gently rested it against her cheek before he ducked into her, his nose lightly brushing against hers before the sound of his phone buzzing against the end table reached his ears, causing him to let out a soft sigh.

“You have to go?” Isabelle mumbled softly, her fingertips gently pushing the dark hair off of his forehead.

“I do” Lionel confirmed softly “But I will see you and Isla after the game?” he added as he pushed himself up to his feet, moving to collect his kit bag which sat at the foot of the bed.

Isabelle watched him for a couple of seconds before she pushed herself up to her feet, moving to press a gentle kiss against his lips.

Lionel startled a little, slightly surprised by the sudden kiss, before he wrapped his arms around her waist, holding her close for a couple of seconds before he ducked back, his forehead resting against hers.

“I’ll see you later” Isabelle mused softly “Good luck tonight, Leo” she added, pulling away from him before she moved to lift Isla onto her hip, allowing her to duck out of the room.

Lionel watched her go for a moment before he shook his head, a small smile pulling at the corner of his mouth. He was under no illusions, things between him and Isabelle were going to take a little while to piece back together, but he was hopeful that they could figure it out, even if they did still have a little way to go. He was hopeful that he and Isabelle could put things right.

~#~
Standing off to the side of the pitch, Isabelle quirked a soft smile, her blue eyes settled on Lionel who stood a little away from her, babbling happily to Isla who sat in his arms, a wide grin perched on her face. It had been a good afternoon, even despite the tension that existed between her and Lionel, she had enjoyed herself at the match, and she was pleased that she had gone, even if things between the two of them still didn’t quite feel right, she knew it meant a lot to him to have her and Isla at his game.

Shifting her feet a little, she adjusted the material of the cardigan she wore around her stomach before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached her, causing her to lift her head, her blue eyes settling on Lionel who stood ahead of her, a slightly nervous smile perched on his face. Isabelle admired the soft smile for a brief moment before she stepped towards him, pressing a soft kiss against his lips.

Lionel smiled at the feel of the kiss, relishing the familiar feeling that he’d missed, before he carefully ducked back, his fingers gently tucking the blonde hair off of her face. “How are you feeling, Isa?” he mumbled, his fingers subtly brushing over the front of her cardigan.

Isabelle admired the gentle movement of his fingers before she shook her head softly. “I feel a little tired” she mused softly “But it is nothing I can’t handle. It’s not my first time” she added, offering him a coy smile.

Lionel rolled his eyes playfully before he shook his head, offering Isabelle a slightly dubious look that made her roll her eyes. “I’m fine, Leo” she mumbled softly “I promise you” she added gently.

Lionel offered her another dubious look before the sound of someone calling his name reached his ears, something which made Isabelle smile. “You’ve got to go” she mused softly.

“I do” Lionel confirmed with a nod “But it shouldn’t be much longer and then I can take you and Lala home. You both look like you could use a nap” he added with a small smirk.

Isabelle rolled her eyes playfully before she nudged his shoulder, telling him to go.

Lionel offered her a soft boyish smile before he ducked away from her, something which made Isabelle shake her head softly, a small smile playing at the corner of her mouth.

~#~
“Did she settle down alright?”

Lionel, who’d just padded into the living room, looked up at the sound of Isabelle’s voice before he lifted his head, offering her a small smile. “It took a little work” he noted softly “I think being at the stadium got her a little over-excited, but she’s happily sleeping now and I think she’ll probably sleep through” he added, moving to settle the baby monitor down on the coffee table.

Isabelle, who’d been sipping on her mug of tea, nodded her head softly before she shifted a little, making a space for him at her side.

Lionel offered the spot on the couch a look before he sat down, something which caused Isabelle to shuffle towards him, cuddling into his side slightly. Lionel startled a little, not quite expecting the embrace, before he settled his arm around her, holding her close as a silence fell over them.

“You know, I’ve missed this”

Lionel, who’d been quietly enjoying their embrace, startled a little at the sound of Isabelle’s voice before he tilted his head, offering her a small smile. “I know the feeling” he mumbled softly “I mean, I know that we’ve got a long way to go to figure this out, but I have missed us, Isa” he added, his voice soft and warm.

Isabelle mulled his words over briefly before she lifted her head, pressing a light kiss against his lips. “We do have a way to go” she agreed softly “But I think we’ll figure it out, even if it does take us a little while. I don’t know if I tell you this enough, but I do sort of love you” she teased impishly.

Lionel smiled at her words before he ducked into her, sneaking a couple of quick kisses as he softly mumbled the same words in return. He knew that it would take a lot of work, after what had happened between the two of them, any fix between them was likely to take a while, but he hoped that they’d get it right eventually, not wanting to let go of things between them without a fight.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)