When You Close Your Eyes

82: I’d Like It to Stay That Way

Sparing a soft look towards the nursery door, Lionel allowed a soft sigh to fall out of his mouth, his stomach turning a little at the thought of the conversation which stood ahead of him. He knew that it was coming, from the moment that he had asked Isabelle for time to wrap his head around the idea of her second pregnancy, the visit of her mother and father had been inevitable, but a small part of him had been hoping to avoid it for a little longer, even if he knew that there was no avoiding it. He had been hoping for a little more time to put things right with Isabelle before Marco and Francesca arrived.

Offering the nursery door another look, he briefly contemplated ducking back down the stairs, before he shook his head, gently nudging the door open. Ensuring that he was quiet, he gently closed it behind himself before he lifted his head, his dark eyes settling on Isabelle who sat beside Isla’s crib, babbling happily to the little girl who sat in her arms, an infectious grin perched on her face.

“Did you get rid of them?”

Lionel, who’d been quietly admiring Isabelle and Isla, jumped at the sound of her voice before he shook his head, settling down on the floor beside the chair she sat in. “I didn’t” he noted softly “In fact, our guests are sat in the living room, waiting for us” he added, his fingers pulling at a loose thread which poked out of the rug he sat on.

Isabelle watched his hand for a second before she tilted her head, a small crease in her forehead. “Leo?” she posed softly.

“Your mama and papa are downstairs” Lionel mumbled softly, his eyes not moving to look up at her

Isabelle offered him a soft look, admiring the shy look which played on his features, before she shook her head, a soft smile playing on her lips. “You know that you don’t need to be worried, don’t you?” she posed softly.

“Isabelle…”

“They’re going to be upset” Isabelle quipped, cutting him off “I mean, this isn’t exactly the first time, and they’re more than likely to be irked, but I don’t want you to worry about it, OK?” she posed as she pushed herself up to her feet, gently moving to settle down at his side, Isla settled happily in her lap. She knew that he was worried, from the moment that he had stepped into the room, he’d looked uncertain and nervous, and she wanted to offer him a little reassurance, even if she knew that her mother and father were more than likely to be upset, she wanted him to know that he didn’t need to worry.

Lionel mulled her words over for a moment before he shook his head. “They’re your parents, Isa” he mumbled softly “Isla’s grandparents too, and I can’t avoid them for the rest of my life” he added gently.

Isabelle shook her head before she shifted her spare hand, gently moving to knot her fingers with his. “You’re right, you can’t” she agreed softly “But I still don’t want you to worry about this. They’re going to be upset, angry about what happened, and they’re not going to let it slide easily, but it doesn’t matter. I’ve made up my mind and they’re not going to change it” she added, her hand offering his a small squeeze.

Lionel offered her a soft look, his dark eyes searching her face, before he shook his head. “It’s my fault, Isa” he mumbled softly “I…I should have handled things better and then we’d not be in this mess” he added, his voice soft and shy.

Isabelle noted the tone of his voice before she carefully leant towards him, pressing a soft kiss against his cheek. “They’re going to be upset” she mumbled softly “I mean, after last time, it’s going to take a while for them to warm up to you again, but it doesn’t matter right now. We’re onto a good thing, Leo, things between us are slowly getting back to normal, and I don’t want that to change. I’m happy, even if we do still have our moments, and I’d like it to stay that way” she added, her fingers gently pushing through his dark hair.

Lionel watched the movement of her hand for a second before he reached his hand up, capturing hers before he pulled it to his lips, allowing him to press a soft kiss against the warm skin. “You think we’re onto a good thing?” he posed, offering her a small boyish smile.

Isabelle rolled her eyes playfully before she carefully leant into him, sneaking a couple of light kisses. “I do” she confirmed softly “I mean, I know we’re still trying to figure a few things out, but I like us. Aside from a few bumps, I think we’ve had a pretty good five years” she added, offering him a small smile.

Lionel marveled at the soft smile she wore before he carefully leant into her, pressing a soft kiss against her lips.

Isabelle smiled into the contact for a couple of seconds before the word ‘mama’ filled her ears, causing her to duck back, her wide blue eyes mirroring Lionel’s darker ones for a brief second before she flicked her attention downwards, settling it on Isla who sat in her lap, a small pout on her face. “D…Did she just…?” she babbled softly.

Lionel, who’d been watching the little girl, startled a little at the sound of Isabelle’s voice before he lifted his head, offering her a small smile. “I think so” he mused softly.

Isabelle blinked a little, still slightly surprised by the word which had fallen out of Isla’s mouth, before she carefully ducked down, pressing a gentle kiss against the top of her head. Isla frowned a little, not liking that her mother hadn’t picked her up, before she stretched her little arms up, another soft ‘mama’ falling out of her mouth.

Lionel smiled a little at the soft sound before he carefully moved to lift Isla into his arms, pressing a soft kiss against her cheek. “I think someone would like her breakfast” he mumbled softly “And I think we should probably get downstairs. I don’t think hiding up here is much of an option” he added with a half-smile as he pushed himself carefully to his feet. He knew that there was no avoiding it, whether they wanted to or not, they had to speak with Marco and Francesca, and a small part of him wanted to get it over with, even if he knew it wasn’t going to be pleasant.

Isabelle offered him a soft look before she pushed herself up, pressing a soft kiss against Isla’s head before she moved to place one against Lionel’s cheek, something which caused him to smile a little. He knew that it wasn’t going to be pleasant, after the previous occasion, neither Marco nor Francesca were likely to go easy on him, but he was confident that things would work out, even if it was likely to be tense for a while. He was confident that he and Isabelle would make it work for them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)