When You Close Your Eyes

84: Back On Track

“Are you going to have time to come with me to our appointment this morning before you have to leave?” Isabelle posed as she leant against the frame of the bedroom door, her blue eyes fixed on Lionel who stood ahead of her, folding clothes into the open suitcase which sat on the bed.

It had been a little while, after her mother and father’s visit, a couple of weeks had passed, and with her having reached the 12 week mark of her pregnancy, they were due to visit their midwife, something which clashed with Lionel’s departure for international fixtures with Argentina.

Lionel, who’d been neatly folding a shirt, startled a little at the sound of Isabelle’s voice before he lifted his head, peeking towards where she stood in the doorway. “Of course I will” he noted softly “I mean, it’s going to be a little tight, but I should have time and even if I don’t, I’ll catch a later flight. I’m not going to duck out of a chance to see our little blob” he added, his dark eyes peeking down towards the small bump which was just about noticeable beneath the shirt she wore.

Isabelle followed the line of his stare before she shook her head, moving to step a little deeper into the room. “How long are you going to be gone for?” she posed, gently settling down on the bed. She knew that there was no avoiding it, with Lionel still determined to win a major trophy with his national team, his departure for international duty couldn’t be avoided, but still it unsettled Isabelle a little, even if she knew that it was something he wanted. She knew that she would miss him when he wasn’t around.

Lionel, who’d moved to fold a few more pieces of clothing into his suitcase, peeked up at her for a moment before he shrugged. “At least a couple of weeks” he noted softly “But if we have a decent tournament, it could be up to a month. Why, you going to miss me?” he added, offering her a small boyish smile.

Isabelle feigned thought for a moment, something which made Lionel scoff playfully before he sat down at her side, his arm softly wrapping around her waist. “You know you miss me when I’m not around” he mumbled, pressing a soft kiss against her temple.

Things were good, after the visit of her parents, things between him and Isabelle felt settled and familiar, and Lionel had to admit that he was pleased, even if there was still a few awkward silences or babbled words. He liked that he and Isabelle seemed to be getting back to where they’d been before.

Isabelle smiled a little at the feeling of his lips against her temple before she nodded her head. “I do miss you when you’re not here” she mumbled softly “I mean, I know that this is something you want to do, but it is a little strange when you’re not around” she added, her fingers shyly playing with his.

Lionel watched her fingers briefly before he leant over, pressing another kiss against the side of her head. “I’m going to miss you too, you and Isla” he mumbled softly “But I am sure that we can figure something out which means we’ll talk at least once a day. It’s not like it is the first time” he enthused, offering her a small smile.

He knew that she was a little nervous, she tended to be whenever he went away for international duty, but he wanted to offer her a little reassurance, even if he was sure that he would miss being home. He wanted her to know that they’d figure something out.

Isabelle admired the soft smile he wore before she nodded her head, her hand offering his a soft squeeze. “You’re right” she mused “And besides, whilst you’re gone, my madre and Grace are likely to spend a lot of time here, perfecting the last details of our wedding” she added, a small smile pulling at the corner of her lips. It wasn’t something they’d talked a lot about, with Isabelle’s pregnancy and their fight, neither Isabelle nor Lionel had bought up the topic of their second wedding, but Lionel was glad to see that she was still excited about it, even if they were still trying to figure things out between them. He was pleased that it was still something she wanted.

Lionel marveled a little at the soft smile on her face before he leant into her, sneaking a couple of quick kisses before the sound of Isla’s cries filled the air, causing him to duck back slightly, an amused expression on his features. “I think someone would like her madre and padre’s attention” he quipped softly.

Isabelle nodded before she pushed herself up to her feet. “It’s about time she woke up from her nap” she mused softly “I should go and check on her. You’re going to finish packing?” she posed, offering a look towards the half-packed suitcase which sat on the bed.

Lionel offered her a nod, something which caused Isabelle to pad out of the room, mumbling about getting some lunch ready for Isla. Lionel watched her out of the room briefly before he turned back to his suitcase, a small smile playing at the corner of his mouth. He knew that they still had a little way to go, with another baby on the way, things between him and Isabelle were likely to be a little off for a little while, but he was pleased with their progress.

~#~
“Your tests are all looking very positive, Isabelle” Carla grinned as she moved to jot something down into Isabelle’s notes.

“They are?” Isabelle quipped, her blue eyes peeking towards her midwife nervously.

Carla noted the slightly apprehensive expression the blonde wore before she nodded, a reassuring smile perched on her face. “You seem to be progressing very nicely” she enthused softly “All of the tests seemed to be come back as we’d expect them to, and I am very happy. You and bump seem to be doing very well” she added warmly.

Isabelle offered her a soft look before she carefully climbed up onto the bed, pulling her shirt away from her stomach.

Lionel, who was sat beside her, watched her pull her shirt up before he quirked a small smile, his dark eyes marveling at the small bump she carried. It was only small, the little bump that she carried was barely noticeable unless he was purposefully looking for it, but still he adored seeing it, even if Isabelle did try and keep it hidden when they were around other people. He loved seeing it. Admiring the bump for a second, he gently brushed his hand against it before he moved to lace his fingers with Isabelle’s, offering her hand a soft squeeze.

Carla watched the small amorous action before she gently moved to squeeze a small amount of gel onto Isabelle’s skin, something which caused the blonde to flinch a little. “I’m sorry about the chill” she mumbled softly, gently running the scanner over the blonde’s stomach.

Isabelle offered her a soft look before a soft thumping filled the air, something which caused her to flick her attention towards the screen, her blue eyes softening a little at the image which filled it. “Leo” she squeaked.

Lionel offered her hand a soft squeeze before he looked towards Carla. “Is everything OK?” he posed, his voice slightly nervous.

Carla quirked a small smile before she nodded her head. “Bump’s a good size” she mused softly “And the heartbeat is good and strong. Isabelle will be due for another scan in a few weeks, but I am very happy with her progress” she enthused warmly before she pushed herself to her feet, excusing herself from the room.

Lionel watched her go briefly before he pushed himself up to his feet, gently moving to settle down on the bed beside Isabelle who, at feeling him sit down, shuffled closer to him, cuddling into his side. Lionel smiled at her movements before he ducked his head and pressed a kiss against her temple, still a little amazed by the idea that she was pregnant for the second time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)