When You Close Your Eyes

85: Before You Know It

Pulling her blonde hair up into a loose knot, Isabelle plopped down onto the couch, trying to stifle the sensation of nausea which had washed over her. It had been a little while, with the 12 week mark of her pregnancy having passed, the sensation of nausea had been more and more fleeting, but when she had woken up that morning, she’d known that there was no stifling it, even if she had hoped to spend a little more time curled up beneath the duvet, she knew that there was no avoiding the need to the throw up.

Brushing a few loose strands of blonde hair off of her face, she leant forwards to collect the mug of tea which sat on the coffee table before she rested back into the couch, enjoying the quiet which filled the house. It had been a little while, after they’d visited Carla, a couple of weeks had passed, and with Lionel still away on international duty, Isabelle found the house slightly quieter than usual, something which unsettled her slightly. It wasn’t the first time, in the 5 years that they’d been together, Lionel had been away on international duty more than once, but still Isabelle missed him when he wasn’t around, even if it was a little silly. She missed having him around.

Letting a soft sigh fall out of her mouth, she rested her head back against the couch for a couple of seconds before the sound of her phone buzzing reached her ears, causing her to let out a soft groan. Shaking her head a little, she moved to collect the phone from its spot on the coffee table before she pulled it against her ear. “Hola?” she mumbled softly, snuggling into the couch a little more.

“Did I wake you?” Lionel posed softly.

Isabelle, who’d moved to rest her head against the back of the couch, shook her head. “No” she mused softly “I woke up a little while ago. I wasn’t feeling too well” she mumbled softly.

“You weren’t?” Lionel posed “I thought the nausea had worn off?” he added, his tone slightly worried.

Isabelle smiled a little at the tone of his voice. She had to admit that she liked the idea of him worrying about her. “I thought so too” she mused softly “But I still feel a little unwell from time to time, but it’s nothing I can’t handle” she added softly.

“You’re sure?” Lionel posed concernedly.

“I’m sure” Isabelle replied “Now, whilst I love hearing from you, can I ask why you’re calling so early?” she posed, a soft yawn falling out of her mouth. It was a routine of theirs, with Lionel away with Argentina, the two of them had put together a schedule of times that they were both available to talk, but Lionel’s early phone call had come a little out of the blue, something which piqued Isabelle’s interest.

Lionel spared a soft laugh, something which made Isabelle smile a little.

“We’ve got a game tonight” he noted softly “It’s a later kick off than the last couple and that means I’m likely to miss our video chat tonight. I figured you’d not mind me calling a little earlier” he added softly.

Isabelle mulled his words over for a couple of seconds before she quirked a soft smile. “I don’t mind at all” she mused warmly “But I am sure that Lala will miss seeing her papa. She tends to sleep a lot better after you say goodnight to her” she added teasingly. It wasn’t the first time, often when Lionel called, the two of them ended up talking about nothing in particular, but Isabelle had to admit that she enjoyed it, even if their conversations weren’t the most important. She simply enjoyed talking to him.

“She is a papa’s girl” Lionel mused, the smirk practically audible in his words.

Isabelle rolled her eyes playfully before she nodded. “She is” she agreed softly “But I am sure that if we have a boy this time around, he’ll prefer me” she added playfully.

Lionel chuckled a little.

“Have you given any thought to whether you want a boy or a girl?” Isabelle posed softly, her finger winding itself in a strand of her blonde hair.

“I have” Lionel replied softly “I mean, I know we’ve still got a little way to go before we can find out, but I think I would like a boy this time around. We’ve already got Isla and I think I’d like to have a son, but as long as they come along happy and healthy, I think I’d be happy either way. What about you?” he posed softly.

“A boy” Isabelle replied gently “I don’t know how you’d cope if we gave Lala a little sister” she added, her tone bright and teasing.

Lionel let out another soft laugh into the phone before the sound of a knock at his door echoed down the line, something which made Isabelle sigh a little. “You have to go?” she posed softly.

“I do” Lionel confirmed “I’ve got a team meeting after breakfast and the coach isn’t going to let me be late for it. I’ll try and call you again later, but if I can’t, I’ll definitely call you and Lala tomorrow” he added softly.

Isabelle nodded her head. “I’ll speak to you soon” she noted softly “Good luck tonight” she added gently.

“Gracias, Isa” he mused softly “You’ll give Lala a kiss from me?” he added, his voice softening a little.

Isabelle smiled a little at his words before she nodded her head. “Of course I will” she mused softly “I miss you” she added, the tone of her voice soft and shy. She knew that it was a little silly, in the five years that they had been together, Lionel had been away on internationals more than once, but still Isabelle missed him. She wasn’t quite used to him being gone for more than a couple of days at a time.

Lionel made a soft sound at her words before he sighed gently, “I miss you too, you and Isla” he mused softly “But I’ll be back home before you know it and then we can think about the wedding. Your madre and Grace are due around today, aren’t they?” he posed.

“They are” Isabelle confirmed “We’ve got an appointment to get my dress altered to fit around bump” she added gently.

Lionel mulled her words over briefly before the sound of Sergio’s voice snipped down the line, something which made Isabelle smile a little. “Now you really have to go” she teased softly.

“I do” Lionel confirmed “I love you, Isa” he added warmly.

Isabelle’s cheeks warmed a little at his words before she shook her head. “I love you too, Leo” she mused softly “And we’ll speak soon. Good luck” she added before she hung the phone up. Settling her phone down on the coffee, she gently moved to rest back into the couch a little, wordlessly hoping the days before Lionel arrived home passed quickly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)