When You Close Your Eyes

87: As Long As It Stays That Way

Gently smoothing out the material of the little dress that Isla wore, Isabelle quirked a small smile, her blue eyes settled on the little girl who sat in her lap, her wide and contagious grin spread across her face. It had been a little while, after Lionel had returned from international duty, a couple of weeks had passed, but with their second wedding due the following day, the small family were due to head out to dinner with a few of their friends and families, something which both excited and unsettled Isabelle a little.

She was looking forwards to it, the idea of her and Lionel having a day to look back on was one that she loved, but still a small part of her was a little worried about her family’s reaction to him, even if things did appear to be alright, the last thing she wanted was for there to be a problem.

She knew that her parents were wary, even despite the conversation that she had had with them, both Marco and Francesca still appeared a little apprehensive around him, but Isabelle was hopeful that they would let it lie, even if it was only for a couple of days. She hoped that they’d not want to cause her a problem.

Offering Isla a soft smile, she gently smoothed out the little girl’s dark hair before she moved to settle her down on the bed, something which allowed her to push herself to her feet, collecting the pair of shoes which she had left beside the wardrobe.

“Are you nearly ready to go?”

Isabelle, who’d leant down to fasten her shoe, startled a little at the sound of Lionel’s voice before she lifted her head, peeking towards where he stood in the door way. “I think so” she noted softly “What about you?” she posed, offering him a slightly curious look.

Lionel, who’d moved to lift Isla up onto his hip, noted the expression she wore on her face before he shook his head a little. “You know it is going to be fine, don’t you?” he posed softly.

He knew that she was a little apprehensive, with things the way they were between him and her parents, he didn’t blame her for being slightly nervous, but still he wanted to offer her a little reassurance. It was the night before their wedding day, a day he knew that her family in particular were looking forwards to, and he was sure that things would be fine, even if there was still a little tension between him and her parents. He was confident that neither Marco nor Francesca would want to spoil things for Isabelle.

Isabelle offered him a slightly dubious look, something which made Lionel shake his head before he stepped towards her, his spare hand gently cupping her cheek. “It’s going to be fine, Isa” he mumbled softly “I mean, I know that your parents still aren’t my biggest fans, but they’re not going to do anything to ruin the next couple of days for you. It’s your wedding, Isa, a day your parents have been looking forwards to, and I am confident that they’re not going to want to ruin things for you, even if they don’t love me. They’re going to want you to enjoy this” he added earnestly, his thumb softly tracing the line of her cheekbone.

Isabelle leant into his touch slightly before she quirked a small smile. “You’re probably right” she noted softly.

Lionel smiled at her words before he pressed a soft kiss against her cheek. “I often am” he quipped impishly.

Isabelle rolled her eyes playfully before she pulled away from him slightly, moving to wrap her cardigan around her shoulders. “We should get moving” she mused softly.

Lionel nodded his head gently before he stepped towards her, gently straightening out her cardigan slightly before he leant towards her, sneaking a soft kiss before he moved to take a hold of her hand, leading her out of the room. He knew that it wasn’t a big deal, for months, he and Isabelle had been married, but still a small part of him was excited about what laid ahead of them, even if it was mostly for the benefit of their friends and families. A part of him wanted to give Isabelle a day to remember.

~#~
“You know, I still can’t quite believe that both of my little girls are married” Marco mused as he sat down, his eyes settling on Isabelle who sat a little away from him, sipping on the glass of water in her hand. It had been a pleasant evening, even despite the small amount of tension which filled the room, the dinner had been quiet and polite, and it pleased Isabelle a little, even if she was sure that neither of her parents wanted to cause a scene. She was pleased that it had gone off without a hitch.

Isabelle, who’d been quietly thinking, startled a little at the sound of her father’s voice before she lifted her head, offering him a small smile. “I’ve been married for a while now, papa” she quipped, her voice bright and teasing.

“I know that” Marco mused, a fatherly grin perched on his face “But it is still a strange thought. It doesn’t seem that long ago that me and your madre were bringing you home from the hospital, and now look at you. You’re married, you’re already a madre once and you’ve got another one on the way. It is still a little strange to me” he added softly. It was still a little odd, the idea that Isabelle was not only married, but a mother herself was one that still felt unfamiliar to him, but he was sure that he would get used to it, even if he did still have the odd worry about her choice of husband. He doubted that he could have been a lot prouder of the way things had worked out for his elder daughter.

Isabelle allowed his words to hang around them for a couple of seconds before she shook her head. “It is still strange for me too” she mused softly “It doesn’t feel like it has been five minutes since I met Leo, let alone 5 years” she added warmly.

Marco offered her a slight look before he reached his hand out, offering hers a soft squeeze. “It’s been a good five years, no?” he posed softly.

Isabelle peeked down towards their hands before she nodded her head. “It has” she confirmed “I mean, I know Leo and I have had our ups and downs, but it has been a wonderful five years, papa” she added, squeezing his hand softly.

“Isabelle…”

“I know you’re still worried, papa” Isabelle interrupted softly “And I know that you’re not going to stop worrying about me, but you have to know that I am where I want to be. I like us, Papa, me, Leo, Isla and Bump, I like it like that, and I want things to stay like that. Papa, he makes me happy” she added, her eyes fixed on their hands as she spoke.

Marco studied the expression which played on her features before he nodded his head. “I know he does, sweetheart” he mused softly “I’ve never seen you happier than when you are with him, and whilst I worry, I don’t intend to get in the way of the two of you. You’re grownups and you’ve got form for figuring things out and, as long as things stay as they are, I don’t intend to be a problem. You love him, he loves you, and that’s good enough for me” he enthused warmly.

Isabelle offered him a slight look, wordlessly asking if he was sure, before the sound of Lionel’s voice reached her, causing her to excuse herself. Marco watched her go for a moment before he shook his head, a proud grin on his face. He was worried, after the fight that Isabelle and Lionel had had, his nerves weren’t likely to dissipate quickly, but still he was proud of the way things had worked out for his daughter. She was happy and, to him, that was the most important thing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)