When You Close Your Eyes

90: It Feels Different

“Are you feeling OK?”

Isabelle, who’d been quietly fussing with the hem of her dress, jumped a little at the sound of Lionel’s voice before she lifted her head, offering him a soft smile. It had been a little full on, since they’d woken up that morning, neither she nor Lionel had seemingly had a moment to relax, and she was grateful for a couple of minutes of calm, even if she knew that people were still itching to make a fuss of the two of them, she was pleased to have the opportunity to relax for a little while.

“What?” she posed softly.

Lionel, who was sat in the car beside her, offered her a soft look before he reached his hand out, gently knotting their fingers together. “I overheard your madre talking to mine” he noted, brushing his thumb over the back of her hand “She said that you spent a lot of this morning huddled over the toilet and I thought I would make sure that you were feeling alright. This is half on me after all” he added, sparing a playful look down towards the bump which was noticeable beneath the dress that she wore.

Isabelle followed the line of his stare before she shook her head, a small smile on her lips. “It was just a little nausea” she mused softly “I still get the odd nauseous day from time to time and the pregnancy, along with being a little nervous, meant that I felt sick, but it wasn’t too bad” she added gently.

Lionel offered her a slightly dubious look, wordlessly asking if she was sure, before he offered her hand a soft squeeze. “You were nervous?” he posed gently.

“You weren’t?” Isabelle quipped, a playful smile on her face.

“A little” Lionel admitted “I mean, I know that this was mostly for the benefit of our friends and families, but I still wanted things to go to plan and I was a little worried that it wouldn’t” he added gently.

Isabelle quirked a soft smile at the tone of his voice before she gently moved to rest her head on his shoulder. “I was worried too” she mumbled softly “I mean, I know we’ve been married for a while now, but this...it feels a little different, doesn’t it?” she posed, turning her head slightly so that she could look up at him.

Lionel admired the expression on her face before he nodded his head. “It does” he agreed softly “It feels a little more…a little more real” he added thoughtfully.

Isabelle nodded her head quietly before she cuddled into his side, something which caused Lionel to duck his head, pressing a soft kiss to her temple. “You know” he mumbled, breaking the silence which had settled around them “You really do look wonderful, Isa” he added, his fingertips gently brushing against the light material of her dress. It had knocked him for six, the sight of Isabelle in her wedding dress had left him nearly speechless, but he hadn’t been surprised. He had always anticipated that she would look amazing on their wedding day.

Isabelle, who’d closed her eyes, quirked a tired smile. “You don’t look to bad yourself” she teased impishly.

Lionel let out a soft laugh before he moved to press another soft kiss against her head. “I love you, Isabelle” he mused quietly.

Isabelle allowed his soft words to hang around them for a brief second before she carefully shifted her hand, gently tilting his head so that she could press a soft kiss against his lips, wordlessly returning the sentiment.

~#~
“Are you sure that she wasn’t any trouble?” Isabelle posed as she gently lifted Isla into her arms, her eyes peeking up towards Grace. It had been a little while, after the ceremony, both Lionel and Isabelle had been keen to enjoy a little time alone, but with Lionel having been distracted by his brothers, Isabelle had opted to check in with Grace, wanting to ensure that Isla hadn’t been any trouble.

Grace shook her head. “She was wonderful, Belle” she mused softly “You and Leo have a very sweet little girl” she added, gently adjusting the material of the little dress that Isla wore.

Isabelle offered her a small smile before she nudged her sister’s ribs playfully. “Perhaps you and Sam will give Isla a cousin soon, eh?” she quipped, her tone bright and playful.

Grace rolled her eyes playfully before she spotted Celia padding towards them over Isabelle’s shoulder, something which caused her to excuse herself. Isabelle offered her a slightly odd look before she felt a hand tap on her shoulder, something which caused her to around, her eyes landing on her mother-in-law. “Celia” she squeaked “How…how can I help you?” she posed softly. She knew that it was a little silly, the idea that she was still a little nervous around her mother-in-law, but she couldn’t seem to shake it, regardless of how much time they spent together. She doubted that she would ever be entirely comfortable around Lionel’s mother.

Celia smiled a little at the sound of Isabelle’s voice before she shook her head. “You know, you’ve got no reason to be nervous around me, Isabelle” she noted warmly.

“I know” Isabelle replied softly “I guess…I guess I just don’t want to mess up” she noted, shifting her feet nervously.

Celia admired the nervous expression she wore before she shook her head, gently moving to squeeze Isabelle’s hand. “You’re not going to mess anything up, Isabelle” she mused softly “I mean, you and my son have been doing this for a long time now. I think you’re going to be alright” she added, her lips curved upwards into a slightly amused smile.

Isabelle let out a breathy laugh, something which caused Celia to shake her head. “I just wanted to offer you my congratulations” she mused “I mean, I know you two have been married for a while now, but I am still glad that you two decided to do this, it meant a lot” she mused warmly.

Isabelle quirked a small smile, something which caused Celia to offer her hand another soft squeeze. “You’re good for him, Isabelle” she noted “I mean, I know you’ve had your share of ups and downs, but you, and Isla and Bump, you’re the best thing that’s happened to him and I am glad that it has worked out for you both. You’re very good together, Isabelle” she enthused brightly.

“I like to think so too” Isabelle replied softly, a slight smile on her lips before she felt an arm wrap around her waist, something which caused her to startle, peeking up at Lionel who stood beside her, a boyish grin illuminating his features.

“What are you doing?” she asked.

“I was thinking that I could borrow for a couple of minutes” Lionel replied “We didn’t exactly have a first dance the first time around and now seems like a good time. Are you busy?” he added, pressing a soft kiss against her cheek.

Isabelle’s cheeks warmed a little at the soft contact before she lifted the stare of her blue eyes, wordlessly asking if Celia would mind taking Isla. The older woman shook her head before she leant forwards, collecting Isla out of her daughter-in-law’s arms. “Go” she enthused brightly.

“Gracias, mama” Lionel quipped with a bright smile before he gripped onto Isabelle’s hand, pulling her away.

Celia watched after the two of them for a second before she shook her head softly, a small smile on her lips. She knew that they were still figuring things out, with Isla and another baby on the way, it was likely to take a while before things between Lionel and Isabelle were completely settled, but she was confident that they’d figure things out, even if they did still have their moments, they were still good together.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)