When You Close Your Eyes

95: Like Her Mother

Wrinkling her nose a fraction, Isabelle tossed onto her side, a small groan falling out of her mouth as a small wave of discomfort passed over her. She knew what it was, with her due date only a few days away, she knew that the wave of discomfort was more than likely to be the start of her contractions, but she didn’t want to make fuss, even if the baby was on her way. She was confident that they still had a long way to go. Allowing a soft sigh to fall out of her mouth, she spared a soft glance towards the clock which sat on the night stand before the sound of voices reached her ears, something which caused a small frown to pull at the corner of her mouth.

Pushing a hand back through her hair, she moved to sit up a little before the sound of the bedroom door opening and closing reached her ears, causing her to lift her head, peeking towards Lionel who’d moved to step into the room, Isla balanced happily on his hip. “You’re up” he breathed softly, gently settling the little girl down onto the bed.

Isabelle, who’d moved to pull a sweatshirt around her shoulders, nodded. “I am” she confirmed softly “What are you doing up soon?” she posed, running a brush through her blonde hair before she pulled it up into a loose knot.

Lionel, who’d sat down beside Isla, shrugged. “It is Christmas morning, Isa” he noted softly “And my parents have just arrived, something which means your madre and padre won’t be too far behind. They’re all very much looking forwards to spending Christmas with Lala” he added, gently lifting the little girl into his lap.

It was the first one, with Lionel and Isabelle having opted for a quieter day the year before, neither set of parents had spent the holidays with the little girl, but with Isabelle’s due date rapidly approaching, both sets of parents had wanted to be close by, something that neither Lionel nor Isabelle had had the heart to deny.

Isabelle nodded her head gently before she padded back towards the bed, gently settling down at his side before she carefully brushed her fingertips through the dark hair which sat on the top of Isla’s head.

Lionel watched the nimble movements of her fingers for a brief second before he turned his head, pressing a gentle kiss against Isabelle’s cheek. “Merry Christmas, Isa” he mumbled gently, his forehead resting against her temple.

Isabelle cuddled into his embrace for a couple of seconds before the sound of doorbell filled the air, something which made her shake her head. “Do you mind handling them?” she posed softly “I mean, I would, but I’m not even dressed yet and…”

“I’ve got it” Lionel interrupted, offering her a small smile.

“You’re sure?” Isabelle quipped.

Lionel spared her another boyish grin before he nodded his head, something which made Isabelle lean into him, sneaking a quick kiss. Lionel held onto her for a couple of seconds longer than she’d expected before he carefully pushed himself back up to his feet, carrying Isla out of the bedroom once more.

Isabelle watched after the two of them for a couple of seconds before she flicked her attention down towards her bump. “You’re going to come today, aren’t you?” she posed softly, her thumb gently tracing circles into the material of her pajama shirt.

~#~
Rubbing her hand against her bump, Isabelle spared a small glance towards the clock which sat on the kitchen wall, wordlessly timing the gap between her contractions which had started a few hours previous. She knew that she still had a way to go, with the contractions still almost 8 minutes apart, she knew it would be a while before the baby put in her first appearance, but still she was a little nervous, even if her labour was still only in its early stages. She was still slightly apprehensive about the idea of giving birth again.

Running her thumb over the material of her sweater, she watched as the second hand made its way around the face of the clock before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached her ears, causing her to lift her head, her blue eyes settling on Lionel who stood in the door way. “Leo” she squeaked “I was…I was just on my way back through. I was checking on…”

“How long?” Lionel interrupted.

Isabelle blinked, slightly surprised by his words, before she shook her head. “What?” she asked.

“How long have you been having contractions for?” Lionel posed quietly, not wanting anyone else to overhear them. He knew that there was something up, for most of the day, Isabelle hadn’t quite been herself, but it was only when he had caught a glance at her grimacing that he had put two and two together.

Isabelle spluttered, surprised by his words, something which made Lionel shake his head before he stepped towards her, his hand gently taking a hold of hers. “You are in labour, Isa” he mused softly “That’s why you’re in here. You’re timing the contractions, no?” he added, his hand offering hers a soft squeeze.

Isabelle spared him a soft look, briefly contemplating denying it, before she nodded. “It’s been a few hours” she confirmed softly “I’ve been having them since this morning, but they’re still a way apart. I don’t think we have to panic yet” she added, her blue eyes fixed on their hands.

Lionel spared a soft nod before he moved to press a kiss against her forehead. “You’ll tell me if you need anything?” he posed, tucking some of her blonde hair behind her ear.

“Of course” Isabelle mused softly “But I don’t think we’ve got anything to worry about for a while yet. My waters still haven’t broken and I have a feeling that our daughter is going to be stubborn like her madre and take her time with this” she added, a faint smile crossing her face.

Lionel let out a small laugh before he shook his head, his other hand gently brushing against her bump before he dipped down, pressing a gentle kiss against the front of her sweater. “You’ll come along when you’re ready, won’t you, princesa?” he mused gently.

Isabelle marveled at the sweet action before she shook her head, gently pulling him back to his feet. “We should get back out there” she mused gently “If we don’t, then they’ll come looking for us” she added.

Lionel nodded his head. “You promise you’ll tell me the second we need to go?” he asked, a serious expression fixed on his face.

Isabelle nodded. “I promise” she noted gently “Now come on, we’ve still got a few presents to open” she added before she padded out of the room, making her way back towards the living room.

Lionel followed in her steps before he quirked a bright smile, wordlessly hoping that it wouldn’t be too long before their little girl arrived.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)