When You Close Your Eyes

98: Look At You Now

Stirring a little beneath the duvet, Lionel blinked his dark eyes open, his ears doused by the soft sound of Leia’s snuffles. It wasn’t the first time, since they’d arrived home with the little girl the day before, she had proved to be a little fussy, but Lionel didn’t mind being disturbed earlier than he was used to, even if he did find himself a little tired, he doubted that he would find himself tired of seeing Isabelle and Leia together any time soon.

Blinking his eyes a couple of times, he quietly tossed onto his side before he lifted his stare, his dark eyes settling on Isabelle who sat up a little, Leia rested against her legs. Quirking a small smile, he watched the two of them for a brief moment before he lifted his hand, gently smoothing out the tufts of blonde hair which sat on top of Leia’s head.

Isabelle, who’d been contently watching the newborn, startled a little at the movement before she turned to look at him, a gentle smile on her face. “We didn’t wake you, did we?” she posed softly “I mean, I thought about heading downstairs, but Leia fell back to sleep almost as soon as I picked her up and I didn’t want to move her” she added, her fingers gently straightening out the sleepsuit that the little girl wore.

Lionel, who’d moved to sit up a little, shook his head. “It’s fine” he mused softly “Besides, it is probably almost about time I got up anyways. Has she been stirring for long?” he added, attempting to straighten out his hair slightly.

“Not really” Isabelle mused with a shake of her head “She started to stir about 15 minutes ago, but I think she just wanted someone’s attention” she added, offering the little girl a soft smile. It still felt a little strange, the idea that she and Lionel had welcomed their second baby into the world, but it was something she was slowly getting used to. She adored their little family and was sure that they’d figure things out eventually, even if there were a few bumps along the way. She was confident that things would pan out.

Lionel admired the soft grin she wore on her lips for a couple of seconds before he shook his head, a coy grin playing at the corner of his mouth. “You know, you’ve looked pretty made up since she came along” he mused softly “You’re happy?” he quipped, offering her a small look.

Isabelle met the stare of his dark eyes before she nodded, her expression soft and shy. “It is still strange” she admitted softly “I mean, I know it has only been a couple of days, but things feel pretty settled and I am very happy about that. I kind of like us as a family of four” she added gently, her eyes drifting back towards Leia who stirred softly in her sleep.

Lionel followed the line of her stare down towards the little girl before he ducked his head, pressing a soft kiss against Leia’s forehead before he moved to press a light one against Isabelle’s lips. “I love you” he murmured softly “All three of you” he added gently.

Isabelle smiled gently at his words before she ducked into him, sneaking a couple of light kisses before the sound of Isla’s cries emanated away from the monitor which stood on the nightstand, something which caused Lionel to duck back a little. “I should go and get her” he mused softly “What do you think about breakfast in bed before our parents show up?” he added, moving to pull on a t-shirt.

Isabelle, who’d moved to shift Leia a little, smiled a little at his words. “I think that that sounds like a pretty great idea” she enthused softly.

Lionel nodded his head, quipping something about being right back before he ducked out of the room, something which caused Isabelle to shake her head before she flicked attention down towards Leia, her fingers gently smoothing out the little girl’s blonde hair. “Your papa fusses a lot, Leia” she mumbled softly “And sometimes he worries too much, but we love him like that, don’t we? He’s got his quirks, but he’s pretty amazing, isn’t he?” she added gently.

~#~
“How is Isla warming up to having Leia around, Belle?” Francesca quipped as she padded into the living room, settling a mug of tea down ahead of her daughter who sat curled up on the couch, Leia snoozing happily in her arms. It had been a busy morning, with both sets of parents, as well as Grace and Samuel around and itching to fuss over the new addition, the house had been a hive of activity, but Isabelle had to admit that she hadn’t minded people fussing over her and Leia, even if had it had been a little hectic. She had enjoyed having everyone around.

Isabelle, who’d been watching the newborn sleep, lifted her head at the sound of her mother’s voice before she quirked a small smile. “It’s a work in progress” she noted softly “When we first introduced them, all Isla did was hide her face in Leo’s shoulder, but I am sure that she’ll warm to her eventually” she added gently.

“She will” Francesca confirmed with a soft nod “I mean, when we bought Grace home for the first time, you practically screamed the house down, but within a few days, you seemed to warm to her and now look at the two of you. You’re practically inseparable” she enthused brightly.

Isabelle quirked a soft smile at her mother’s words before Leia let out a soft sound, pulling her mother’s attention towards her.

Francesca watched her daughter fuss over Leia for a couple of seconds before she shook her head, a doting smile appearing at the corner of her mouth. It felt strange, the idea that her little girl had two children of her own, but Francesca doubted that she could have been any prouder of the way things had worked out for Isabelle, even if she had had her doubts about Lionel from time to time. She was more than pleased to see things settled and calm.

“Mama?”

Francesca, who’d drifted off a little, startled at the sound of Isabelle’s voice. “Huh?” she spluttered.

“You were staring” Isabelle noted softly “Is everything alright?” she added.

“Of course” Francesca noted “I was just thinking about how proud of you I am. I mean, I know I’ve not exactly given you and your husband the easiest of rides, but I am very happy for you, Belle. You, Lionel, Isla and Leia are a very sweet little family” she enthused brightly.

Isabelle’s cheeks tinted a soft shade of pink at the compliment before the sound of Isla’s cries filtered into the room, causing Isabelle to lift her head and peek towards the doorway, watching as Lionel stepped into the room. “I hate to interrupt” he mused softly “But I think someone would like to spend a little time with her madre. Do you think we could switch?” he posed, offering a small look towards Leia who sat in her mother’s arms, her blue eyes peeking around the room curiously.

Isabelle nodded her head softly and gently moved to settle Leia into Lionel’s arms before she settled Isla on her lap, something which caused the toddler to quieten a little.

Francesca, who was sat across from her daughter, watched Isabelle and Lionel for a couple of seconds before she quirked a bright smile, more than a little proud of the way things had turned out between the two of them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)