When You Close Your Eyes

Epilogue: Have I Told You That I Love You?

Wrinkling his nose slightly, Lionel blinked his dark eyes open, his ears doused by the soft sound of voices which emanated away from the hallway which led towards the bedroom. He knew that it was early, one look around the room confided it, but he doubted that he would be afforded the opportunity to fall back to sleep, even if he didn’t have anywhere else to be. He doubted that Isabelle had any intention of allowing him to sleep in on his birthday.

Sparing a small yawn, he ran a hand back through his hair before he sat up a little, his feet gently settling against the rug which sat beside the bed.

“You’re up”

Lionel, who’d been trying to compose himself, flinched slightly at the sudden sound of Isabelle’s voice before he lifted his head, his dark eyes scanning over her frame before they settled on the baby bump which was visible beneath the pajama shirt she wore.

It had been a good couple of years, after Leia had arrived, both Lionel and Isabelle had settled into their marriage and their little family, and whilst they still hit the odd bump, Lionel doubted that he would have changed it, especially with their little family due to get a little bigger in a matter of weeks. It had come as a surprise, the news that Isabelle was pregnant for the third time, but Lionel had been quick to welcome it, something which had more than relieved Isabelle who’d hidden it for a few weeks before she’d worked up the nerve to tell him.

“I am” he confirmed softly “What time is it?” he added, collecting a t-shirt from the dresser.

“It’s a little after 8” Isabelle mused softly “But the girls wanted to surprise you with breakfast and I figured you’d not mind. I can take them back downstairs if you want to go back to bed” she added, offering him a soft smile.

Lionel, who’d moved to pull his t-shirt over his head, shook his head. “It’s OK” he mused softly.

Isabelle nodded her head softly before she stepped towards him, pressing a soft kiss against his lips. “Happy birthday, Leo” she mused warmly.

Lionel offered her a small smile before he carefully lifted his hand, brushing it against her bump, something which was rewarded with a soft kick.

Isabelle watched the movement of his hand before she shook her head, an impish grin on her face. “He likes you” she mused softly. It had been a welcome surprise, the news that they were expecting a son was a slight shock, but Isabelle had to admit that she was pleased, even if she was slightly worried about the idea of having 3 children under the age of 5, she was excited about the idea of their little boy joining them.

“He has to” Lionel quipped, offering her a sideward smile “Both of our little girls seem to prefer you over me. It’d be nice if us boys stuck together” he added, his thumb gently brushing against the front of her shirt.

Isabelle rolled her eyes playfully before the sound of giggles echoed from the monitor which she had stowed into the pocket of her sweater, something which caused her to shake her head. “I should go and get them” she noted softly.

“Do you want a hand?” Lionel posed softly.

Isabelle shook her head. “I can handle it” she mused softly “So, why don’t you sit down? I’ll be back in a couple of seconds with breakfast” she added, offering him a soft smile.

Lionel marveled at the smile on her face for a couple of seconds before he leant into her, sneaking a couple of light kisses before he allowed her to pad towards the door. Quirking a small smile, he after her for a couple of seconds before he shook his head, wordlessly musing about how happy he was.

~#~
“You know, you really didn’t have to make a fuss today”

Isabelle, who’d settled Isla into bed, lifted her head at the sound of Lionel’s voice before she quirked a small smile, turning to look at him as he stood in the doorway of the little girl’s bedroom. It had been a busy day, with it being Lionel’s birthday, Isabelle had been more than keen to make a fuss of him, and she was pleased with the results, even if she did find herself more than a little tired. She was glad that she had given him a good day.

“It’s your birthday, Leo” she mused softly “I think if there’s one day that I am allowed to make a fuss of you, then it is today” she added, her voice soft and warm.

Lionel, who’d moved to rest his weight against the door frame shook his head. “You’re pretty pregnant, Isa” he pointed out softly “And, if you’d opted to skip out on making a fuss this year, I wouldn’t have minded. I’d have been more than happy with a day curled up in front of the TV with a cake” he added, offering her a soft look.

Isabelle rolled her eyes softly at his words before she stepped towards him, her arms gently wrapping around his neck. “I wanted to make a fuss of you” she mumbled, her fingers playing with the hair at the back of his neck “I don’t know whether you’ve noticed, but I am kind of in love with you” she added, a playful smile pulling at the corner of her mouth.

Lionel admired her smile for a couple of seconds before he chuckled softly. “You’re only kind of in love with me?” he teased softly, his fingers gently brushing some of her loose blonde hair out of her face.

Isabelle shrugged playfully. “I’ve grown used to you being around” she noted, her tone deliberately playful.

Lionel rolled his eyes and playfully poked her side, something which caused her to squeak with laughter before she leant into him, hugging him close for a couple of seconds. Lionel smiled at the soft hug before he carefully ducked away slightly, affording him the opportunity to press a soft kiss against her lips.

Isabelle startled, not quite expecting the soft kiss, before she quickly warmed to it, holding onto him for a couple of seconds longer than he’d expected before she ducked back, an impish smile on her face. “You know I am crazy about you, don’t you?” she mumbled “I mean, even after all these years, you still kind of give me butterflies” she added, her voice becoming a little shy and nervous.

Lionel’s cheeks warmed slightly at her words before he leant into her, sneaking another light kiss. “I love you, Isabelle” he mumbled softly.

Isabelle offered him a shy smile before she stepped away from him slightly, mumbling something about checking on Leia before she padded away. Lionel watched her go briefly before he shook his head, a grin perched on his features. It had taken them a while, after things between them had faltered, it had taken them a long time to fix it, but he was thrilled that they had, even if it had taken a while. He liked the way that things had worked out for them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to those who've read, commented, subscribed or recommended :)