Please, Just Call Me Chuck

teaser

.
CHUCK

The bar doesn’t look like anything special. Wooden floors, wooden booths, wooden stools…bottles of varying sizes and colors line the back wall behind the long length of the wooden bar top, and there’s a TV mounted in a corner. It’s impossible to tell the time of day; one of the uncovered windows shows a sunlit street, and a window on the wall next to it shows stars shining above the trees. All of the tables are clean, except for the third one from the back. There’s a glass sitting on a coaster, a large stack of white papers, and an old typewriter sitting on top of the worn tabletop. There’s a jukebox lit up, but there’s no music. The TV is on. Flickering images of the worst kind of tortures; a soft voice, taunting the beings that cut into her, echoes in the room.

“One thought from you, and she’d be free. He would be free.” He can feel the muscles than run along the backs of his arms and across his shoulders tightening, but he doesn’t turn around. He doesn’t know the voice, but he knows who’s in here with him.

“That’s not how it works.” It’s a reminder. To both of them.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is just a teaser for the first chapter of the story. Once more is written, this little piece will be expanded on to complete the full first chapter.