Status: active

Nothing Is as It Seems

Chapter One

Green eyes stared into my own blue ones. I couldn’t force myself to look away. A chill crawled up my spine and I knew this man was evil. I didn’t know how and I didn’t know why, but somehow I just knew.

“Come with me,” he said quietly.

I couldn’t speak, I could only stare at the man front of me. A smirk found it’s way onto the man’s lips and it was and it was gorgeous. I didn’t know who he was, but I suddenly found myself not wanting to ever be away from him. In the back of my mind, a voice was screaming at me. Screaming at me and trying to make me tear my eyes away from him. Telling me that I should get as far away from him as I possibly could.

When the man moved closer to me, the voice faded away. I could hear nothing but the sound of my breathing mixing with his as we stood there.

“Where are we going?” I asked, finally finding my voice. The man didn’t speak, only moved closer to me. I felt his arms slide around my waist, pulling me closer until our bodies were pressed together. He was staring down at me, his gaze never breaking from mine.

He leaned in and I tilted my head upwards to receive the kiss I somehow knew was coming. I felt his breath on my lips and just as his lips were touching mine…..


I woke up, sitting upright in my bed suddenly. My heart was beating out of my chest and I was barely able to catch my breath. Adam sat up next to me and wrapped his arms around me, but when I looked at him all I saw was green eyes.

I flinched away at first, but when he soothingly spoke to me, reassuring me that it was just a dream and I was okay, I melted into his arms. When I looked at him this time, I saw his concerned eyes and they were brown just like they had always been.

I sighed and rested my head against his chest. I was relieved the dream was over with. Usually after the first one the rest of my sleep was dreamless. Even though I knew it was over for the night, my body started shaking in fear anyway.

“Baby, you know it was only a dream. You don’t have to freak out again. I’m right here, I will always be right here with you. I promise I won’t let anything hurt you,” Adam murmured softly into my ear.

I nodded and pulled him back down so we were both lying down again. He pulled me as close to him as possible and told me to close my eyes. He then kissed them and sang to me softly until I fell asleep again.

-x-

The sunlight streaming through my window burned my eyes as I opened then the next morning. The rest of my bed was empty, as it always was in the mornings. I found the usual little note resting against the other pillow.

Good morning, love. See you at school. XO.

I smiled as I thought about how my parents never knew Adam spent the night with me. I was nineteen and in college, but they would still freak the hell out if they knew. They were extremely overprotective of me. They also didn’t like Adam. We had to be very sneaky. He comes in through my window every night after they go to sleep and he sneaks back out in the morning before they wake up. I haven’t spent a night without him since the dreams started.

They started out mildly. I’d dream about a dark place and there would be an unidentified whisper. Later, it progressed to a voice clearly speaking to me, always wanting me to come with him. Last night was the first time I had dreamt of an actual person. I shivered as I thought about those green eyes. I tried to shake my fear off, but it was hopeless. I knew the dreams had to mean something. Why else would they keep coming back night after night and keep getting worse? I could shake the feeling that I’d soon have to go with him. I didn’t think I’d have a choice.

I firmly shook my head and did my best to push the thoughts from my mind. I was being ridiculous. They were only dreams.

-x-

My day at school started out the same as any other. I made my way onto campus and grabbed a coffee as I made my way to my first class. Once there, I settled into my seat. The lecture started, but was interrupted within a few minutes. A guy with dark hair noisily entered the room, handing the professor a note. She looked it over then nodded, gesturing to the only empty seat in the room, which just happened to be next to me.

“Everyone, welcome Zachary Baker. Someone please let him in on the importance of arriving to class on time.”

As the new student drew closer, my heart skipped a beat and I had to remind myself to breathe. It was him. I’d recognize those green eyes anywhere. It took all I had to keep from screaming as he surveyed the room. His eyes falling on the empty seat beside me, then locking with mine. I couldn’t look away as as smirk appeared on his lips.

“It’s almost time,” he whispered as he passed in front of me. I dug my nails into the palms of my hands as he took his seat. Professor Patterson gave him a few moments to get settled in before he launched into a lecture that I couldn’t even focus enough to hear.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a rewrite. I started this story five years and got to chapter five before dropping off the face of the planet for a while haha. I read over it and decided I liked it enough to finish it. I have no idea where I was going with it then, but I have a few good ideas of where to take it now.

So let me know what you think and/or subscribe! Thanks in advance.