Status: active

Nothing Is as It Seems

Chapter Twelve

“So what are we looking for?’ I asked, fighting the chill that climbed my spine. I couldn’t believe I was here. We were walking through a town fifty miles from where I lived. I was helping Zacky pick out his next victim.

“Someone that keeps to herself, keeps her head down. It’s a plus if they live alone and won’t be missed immediately. Since we don’t have much time, I can’t use dreams to get close to them.”

I shivered and pulled my jacket closer, pretending it was just the air that was bothering me. “When I change you, you won’t feel cold anymore.”

“What about her?” I asked, changing the subject. It was a petite girl with light brown hair cut into a bob. She had just left the library alone, weighed down with books. We watched as she walked a short distance down the street and into an apartment building.

“I think she might just be perfect.”

-x-

Two days later, I was sitting in a coffee shop clutching a steaming mug in my hands. We had watched the girl the day before. She had spent two hours inside this shop with a book at the same table I was at.

“I’m sorry am I at your table?” I asked when I noticed the girl shooting glances at me.

“Kind of, but it’s not big deal I’ll sit over here,” she said.

“The table is plenty big enough for both us,” I pointed out. I felt nauseous, but I had to keep up the act.

“Thanks, I’m Cassie!” She sat and settled into a chair across from me.

“Kara. I love that book by the way!” I pointed to the battered copy of Pride and Prejudice she had just put on the table.

We chatted for a while. She was a really nice, down to earth person and I hated myself for dragging her into this mess.

The bell on the door clanged as Zacky stepped in, just as we’d planned. He slowly started making his way towards our table.

“Is there a back way out of here? My psycho ex just came in, he told me if he ever saw me again he would kill me!”

She looked frightened, but grabbed her book and stood. “Follow me, we’ll go back to my apartment so he can’t find you!”

I followed her towards the restrooms and out a back door. When the door slammed shut Zacky was already there. He grabbed her wrist and her eyes glazed over.

“You’re a natural, dear,” Zacky said. We made our way down the block and to Zacky’s car. He none too gently shoved Cassie into the backseat then held the passenger side door open for me.

I climbed inside and watched as Cassie blinked a few times and looked around, confused. After Zacky’s mind control wore off it took several minutes to remember what happened.

“You set me up!” She cried five minutes later. I couldn’t bring myself to look at her. She was right, this was all my fault.

“Where are you taking me?” She was crying and screaming now. Zacky chuckled as she pulled at the door handles and beat against the windows.

“I think she’s even more feisty than you were, Kara. Great choice!” He was clearly enjoying this. The whole thing just made me sick to my stomach.

“How can you live with yourself?” she asked me. I was beginning to wonder that myself. Sure this crazy plan might save my life, but at what cost?