Status: active

Nothing Is as It Seems

Chapter Thirteen

"Go deliver this to our new guest,” Zacky said and held out a tray of food.

“What?” I asked stupidly.

“Take this up to your old room.” He was obviously testing me. He was so cruel to do this knowing that it would kill me.

“Okay,” I finally muttered and rose from my chair.

Tray in hand, I climbed the stairs and made my way into the all too familiar room. Cassie was sitting in the corner on the floor with her head in her hands. Her head snapped up to look when she heard me enter the room.

“Why would you do this to me?” she asked through tears. I didn’t say anything, I couldn’t even if I wanted to.

Walking over to the small table against the wall, I sat the tray down and turned to leave the room. I heard quick footsteps then an object hit my back. I spun around just in time to see the tray hit the floor. She’d thrown it at me.

Suddenly Zacky was there and he had Cassie pinned against the wall with a hand around her throat.

“If you ever do something like that to her again your death will be slow and very painful,” he growled. Cassie whimpered and gasped for air but managed to nod.

“Glad we could come to an understanding.” Zacky smiled and released her. She slid down the wall and fell in a heap on the floor.

“My apologies. I didn’t think that would happen,” he said as he crossed the room and stopped at my side. He reached up with one hand and brushed a stray strand of hair behind my ears. I was getting better at not flinching at his touch. “Let’s go get you cleaned up.”

He grabbed my hand and led me out of the room and down the hallway to my room. It was right across the hall from his. I grabbed a clean shirt and locked myself in the bathroom to change. When I reemerged, Zacky was sitting on the bed waiting.

I tried to compose my face but I could tell by his expression that I had failed. “What’s wrong,” he asked.
“I feel kind of bad about dragging her into this,” I answered as honestly as possible.

“Have you changed your mind about keeping your life?”

“No, but that doesn’t make me feel any better about this.”

He scoffed. “Humanity is so overrated. After you are turned, you won’t feel these things anymore. So don’t let it bother you too much.”

That wasn’t comforting at all. He patted the bed next to him and I bit back a groan before sitting next to him. He wrapped an arm around me to pull me closer.

“I get the feeling that you don’t really want this.”

“I do want this.”

He moved his face so it was barely two inches from mine, I could feel his breath on my lips. “Prove it.”

This was a challenge and there was no way out of it. I worried that he would kill me right then and there if I didn’t prove myself to him. After all, he had Cassie he didn’t need me for his sacrifice anymore. So I swallowed down my fear and pressed my lips to his.

He grabbed my waist and roughly pulled me against him. He took my sharp intake of breath as pleasure, but it was far from it. I was terrified. How could I possibly pull this off?

He shifted us so I was lying on my back on the bed and he was hovering over me. His hand slid underneath my shirt, his touch was cold. When I shivered he laughed. His mouth moved to my throat, teeth nipping at my skin.

“Zac- oh sorry!” M had just walked into the room and quickly averted his eyes from the bed.

“This better me important.”

“The girl tried to escape.”

Zacky cursed under his breath. “I’ll be back.” He climbed off the bed and disappeared from the room.

“So this is how you convinced him to keep you,” he said, clearly judging me.

“If you’re going to judge me I’d appreciate it if you’d leave.” He scoffed and turned on his heel, leaving me alone. These creatures were so strange.