Beautiful Disaster

This is all your fault you know that right?

Emma's POV

I cant believe Duane had put me out of the house; a house that I had spent the last sixteen years of my life in. All those years of marriage down the drain. I don't think I deserved it. I told him I was sorry, what more did he want from me? I turn down the road headed to Leland's house, after I had told him I wouldn't come running to him, here I am.

Knocking on the door I fidget, tapping my foot up and down, feeling a little nervous. Finally he opens the door, looking surprised to see me there.

"Hey." I say softly walking past him, dragging my suitcases with me. He just gives me a strange look and shuts the door.

"What are you doing here?" He asks following me into the house.

"I don't have anywhere else to go...he kicked me out." I say looking down at my hands. "Can I please stay here?" I ask him quietly.

"I don't know Emma, I don't really think it's a good idea. It wouldn't be good for Layla to see that." he tells me as he gestures for me to sit down on the couch.

"I guess... I...don't know what to do." I say honestly. "I've always been so sure of myself, and so sure of what I had with Duane Lee. I never thought something like this would happen."

"Emma, I think that right now you need to worry about Layla and not about yourself. She is the one that needs you right now. You need to explain to her what happened was before you were married... although it happened a few times after that, but she doesn't have to know everything, I don't think. When I found her at the beach she looked so alone and scared. I didn't know what to say to her." He says looking over at me.

"This is all your fault you know that right?" I say raising my eyebrow at Leland. "You didn't have to say anything."

"She would have found out eventually Emma, can't you look past what I said? Do you not understand how big this is, or do you just not care?" he asks me.

I don't know what to tell him. I did care about Duane, but when it came to Layla, the connection just wasn't there. I had never bonded with my child. Sighing I say "I guess I just don't care."

He just looks at me and shakes his head. "You are something else. I don't think I've ever met such a heartless bitch!"

Leland's POV

I meant everything I said to Emma. I don't think I've ever met anyone like her. In all my years of working as a bounty hunter I had seen a lot of worthless mothers, but I think she takes the cake. I was beginning to wonder what Duane Lee saw in her. "So, what are you going to do. You're not staying here, not if you wont even talk to your daughter...our daughter." I mumble.

"You can have her Leland. I'm going back to the mainland. Back to see my family." she says storming out of my house.

I watch her walk out the door and I don't even try to stop her. In some small way I'm almost glad that I told our secret, now Layla wouldn't have such a horrible mother. Maybe Duane Lee would move on and find someone who might actually love him and Layla.

Picking up the phone I dial his number. I didn't think I should be the one to tell him his wife and mother of his...er.. my...our daughter was leaving. But I would, if only for Layla.

"Hey brah, I need to talk to you." I say

"What is it Leland?" he says quietly.

"Its about Emma, she was just over here."

"I'm not surprised about that."

"Why are you talking so quietly?" I ask

"Because Layla just went to sleep, we've been lying on her bed talking things through. I'm trying to straighten out the mess you and Emma caused." he tells me.

"Look, I don't want to be the one to tell you this...but Emma said she was going back to the mainland.. back to her family." I say, waiting on a response from him.

"Hmph..." is all he says and hangs up.