Beautiful Disaster

Daddy, she's gone.

I woke up the next morning, seeing my dad still asleep in my tiny bed. I was so lucky to have a parent like him. When your mother is a bitch, you need someone that's always on your side.

I tiptoe quietly out of the room, I didn't want to wake him up just yet. I knew he was every bit as tired as I was. The events of the last couple of days had finally caught up with us both. The phone scared me when it started to ring. I didn't recognize the number on the caller i.d. so I decided not to answer. "If its important they'll call back" I say to myself as I open the fridge looking for the Orange Juice.

Not three minutes they call again. "Hello" I say harshly into the phone. "Yes, may I please speak to Mr. Chapman." A very official sounds voice asks me. "He's asleep, this is his daughter may I help you?" I ask.

"I'm sorry to have to inform you that Emma Marie Chapman was involved in an accident last night and did not make it through the night." he says in a monotone voice. "She was?" I ask slowly, not really understanding it all.

"Yes Ma'am she was involved in a multi car pile up outside of the Hawaii International Airport around 11:30 last night. I'm very sorry for your loss." He says.

I hang up the phone not wanting to hear what else he had to say. Standing alone, in the kitchen I cried silent tears as the news sank in that my mother was gone. What do I do now? I thought to myself, sure I really didn't like her that much, but she was my mother and why was she at the airport? Was she leaving us?

Duane Lee's POV

I opened the door of Layla's bedroom and saw her standing in the middle of the kitchen, crying and clutching the phone. "Baby, is everything okay?" I ask taking the phone from her and hanging it up.

"She's gone Daddy." she says looking up at me. "I know baby, Leland called last night and said she was leaving for the mainland. I'm sorry I didn't want to wake you up to tell you."

She starts to shake her head. "No, no, no... no" She says as she cries harder. "No, no, what baby? I don't think anything we could have said would make her stay." I say trying to explain.

"Daddy, shes gone...really gone. I got a call saying she was involved in an accident and didn't make it. She died last night Daddy."

"What, I - that cant be. Who called you?" I ask her, not really wanting to believe the news. She just hands me the phone. I scroll through the caller i.d. immediately recognizing the Hawaii Police Departments phone number. "Oh God Layla. She's gone" I say dropping the phone."

Three Days Later we buried my wife. As much as she infuriated me I never wished this fate upon her. I especially didn't wish this upon my daughter who lost her mother. It only complicated things in Layla's life, first learning that I was not her father and then losing her mother. I prayed that she was come out a better person for it. Only time would tell.

The End.