Beautiful Disaster

Daddy, do you still love me?

I couldn't believe the things that were coming out of my brother's mouth. How dare he insinuate something so...evil and cruel. To say that I wasn't my daughter's father was ridiculous. I was there when she was born, I raised her. How could he. Had she not been sitting there I would have killed him, At the very least I would have put him in the hospital and ended up in jail. Over the years I had learned to mange my anger as not to upset my daughter. It was something she didn't need to see.

"Layla, baby, go out to the car and I'll be out in a few minutes" I say to her trying to calm myself down. I watch her walk out the door, I could see the concern and confusion on her face. I turned to Leland saying "This isn't over." as I pushed him hard against the wall, walking past him out the door.

Leland's POV

I didn't know what had come over me, I had vowed to keep that secret to myself until I died. I didn't want to hurt my brother and I especially didn't want to hurt Layla. She was her father's world and I didn't want to ruin it. But seeing them so happy and seeing her turn sixteen, knowing she was my daughter, I just couldn't handle it. I know that Emma would have never told Duane about us sleeping together. Hell, it's not like it was the only time that it happened. Whenever she fought with him, she ran to me. I knew it was wrong, but God she was beautiful and so wild in bed.

I knew I had turned Layla's life upside down but it wasn't fair that I had to sit by and watch her grow up. She was mine and I was going to prove that to her.

Layla's POV

I sat in my dads car waiting for him to come out of the house. It didn't take long before I heard the front door slam as he stalked toward the car. Getting in and slamming the door, we sped out of the driveway and down the road.

We didn't say anything to each other the entire ride home. I just sat staring at my hands, playing the ring that my Uncle Leland had given me last year for my birthday. I didn't know what to think about what happened.

It was so silent in the car I could hear my heart beating. My life had been turned upside down and I had a million questions. Did my dad know what happened, had my mother really slept with my uncle, was Leland really my father? I looked over at my dad watching him biting his finger nails like he did every time he was either pissed or nervous. I wanted to reach out and touch him just to make sure he was really there. But I didn't, I was confused.

We made it home without incident. I watched as my father picked up the phone to call my mother. Apparently she didn't answer because he slammed down the phone, cursing her. He picked it right back up and called again. Same result. "Son of a bitch!" I hear him saying as he walked toward the kitchen pulling something out of our liquor cabinet. I watched him pour a glass of the dark liquid and swallow it, making a face as it went down.

I just walked toward my room. I wasn't sure how to deal with this. I had never seen my father this pissed off...if pissed off would even cover this? I picked up my phone sending a text message to my mother asking her to call ASAP. I thought maybe if she saw it was me she might call. I laid down on my bed, crying myself to sleep.

I woke up that morning at 3:00, looking over at my alarm clock, I sat up in the bed. My head hurt, and I just sat there staring at the floor. I heard something in the living room and walked toward my door. I thought maybe my mom had made it home. I cracked the door open and saw my dad sitting in the dark living room. He turned his head toward me when he heard me coming. I sat down beside him on the couch. Neither of us said anything for a while.

"Daddy, do you still love me?"