Beautiful Disaster

I guess I'm jealous.

Emma's POV

I knew something was up. I had twenty missed calls between Duane, Leland and Layla. Some how I knew the shit had hit the fan and I wasn't about to go home. Picking up my phone I dialed the one person I knew would tell me straight. "Leland, what's going on?" I say into the phone.

"Emma, its bad. You might not want to go home for a while." He says to me. "Leland what happened?" I ask again.

"I told them Emma, I told them what we did... that Layla was mine."

"You WHAT, why Leland, you said you wouldn't. You said you would never tell Duane that we slept together." I yell into the phone. "You promised me, damn it! You told me you were okay with him raising Layla. Why did you tell them that? They would have never known"

Leland's POV

Twenty minutes later and Emma is standing in my living room with me.

"Look, Emma, I just couldn't sit by and watch Duane have the perfect life. I guess I'm jealous." I say quietly.

"Leland, you of all people know its not perfect. You're the one that I've run to when things went south. You never questioned my decisions or wanted me to be something other than what I was." Emma says to me as I pace around my house.

"So the question is, why are you still with him?" I say, not really believing I had said it. I never wanted to hurt my brother, and I didn't want to cause the demise of his family. It's just that when she came around I couldn't think straight. She had this power she held over me and I useless to resist it.

"Because its just easy, I guess. I would rather suffer with him than get a divorce. No one wants to be with someone who has been divorced, how would that look?" she says to me. Had she forgotten that I was divorced? Sometimes even I questioned her motives. I shook off that thought and looked over at her.

"What are we going to do Leland?" she says sitting down on the couch.

"I don't know, I guess I didn't think about what would happen afterwords." I said sitting down beside her.

"You didn't think about it? How did you think it would go over? Did you think she would just run to you with open arms. You know as well as I do, she's her daddy's girl...or whatever, I don't even know what to call my own daughter now...no thanks to you." she says rolling her eyes.

"Don't give me that bullshit, you don't care that much about either one of them." I tell her as her phone starts to ring. She looks over at it and says "Layla"

"Are you going to answer it, I know shes probably been calling you all night."

"I cant talk to her right now, I don't know what to say. I just cant do it. I cant even go home. Leland I don't know what to do." she says leaning back on the couch staring at the ceiling.

"Well answer me this. Why are you still with him?" I ask her as I run my hands through her hair.