‹ Prequel: The Hunter Version 1
Status: Unfortunately, my laptop is not functioning. This story is on hold until I can get my files back from the old laptop.

The Hunter

Mercy!

As Ben began to recognize his surroundings, he begged Max to stop and take a break. Max reluctantly agreed and Ben flopped to the ground. It had not been simply the need to stall for time that made Ben ask Max to stop.

“I should have separated the two of you when you mentioned the game. Together you boys are clever.” Max grumbled.

“We had everything planned out already.” Ben shrugged as he stared up at the sky through the trees.

“Do you want answers that badly?” Max asked him.

“I want to understand what is going on, why you keep telling us to keep out of sight. I think Toby wants to know why. And how and who.” Ben answered after a moment's thought.

“I could care less about Toby. I may as well take my prize now,” Max growled, stalking toward Ben.

“Wait! Wait, wait, we had a deal, Max!” Ben yelped, swiftly sitting up.

“I'll find Toby. There is nowhere he could hide, especially not near your camp. I've familiarized myself perfectly with that area in case something should happen.” Max replied softly, kneeling in front of Ben, reaching out to place both his hands on either side of the boy's face.

“You don't know everything, Max! You haven't found him yet!” Ben protested uneasily, pulling back.

“I like it when you struggle, Ben. Fight me, and if you can get away I'll keep looking,” Max cackled, narrowing his eyes.

Ben did not give Max a second to prepare and kicked up between his legs. He thought Max would see that one coming, but to his surprise, he didn't and ended up rolling in the dirt cursing.

“Mercy, Ben! Mercy!” Max yowled in agony.

“We had and have a deal, Max!” Ben snapped with annoyance, getting to his feet.

“I apologize. Fine! Help me up! I need to start the hunt anew!”

Ben helped Max stand despite his misgivings. As he started to pull away, Max grabbed the back of his head and pulled him back toward him for a very quick, very simple peck on the lips. Ben scowled at him, earning a grin from the man.

“Ah, before I forget,” Max called suddenly, his hand diving into the pocket of his pants.

Max pulled out Ben's yellow bandanna and shook it out lightly.

“Do you want this back?”

Ben nodded hesitantly, eyeing Max suspiciously.

“Don't give me that look, Ben. Turn around, I'll tie it for you.”

Ben continued to stare at Max through narrowed eyes for a moment, but it did not seem like he would get the bandanna back unless he did as he was told. Reluctantly, Ben turned. He heard a quick movement behind him and the bandanna was wrapped tightly around his neck cutting off his air. Ben tried to dig his fingers under the cloth in an attempt to get some air to his lungs, but Max held it too tightly. Just as suddenly as he had attacked, Max released Ben, the bandanna loosely tied.
“Don't forget what I am, Ben.” Max stated darkly before trotting off.

“I never knew in the first place!” Ben choked at his back, falling to his knees as he gasped.
Not much later, Ben made his way back to his camp and sat down next to the ashes of their fire. He rubbed at his neck uncomfortably, trembling slightly. What had set off Max like that? Why did he think Ben had any sort of idea as to what he was? Ben flopped down onto his back only to sit up in alarm as a figure strode boldly into the camp. It was, of course, Max.

Ben made a point to ignore him but also to keep Max in his eyesight at all times. Whenever Max drew near he scrambled away, which seemed to bring a grin to Max's lips, but anger to his eyes. However, Max left Ben alone for the most part, searching through Ben's wood piles, through the leaves of their lean to and in the trees. Ben glanced up at the sky, which was just starting to get dark, and cleared his throat.

“When will this be over?”

His voice shook slightly and cracked, but Max pretended not to notice.

“For once a sensible question, but still not the ones I would expect a normal person to ask.” Max snorted from the mid branches of a near-by tree.

He climbed with fluid ease and Ben wondered how long Max had been on this island. Ben kept quiet, waiting for a reply, but none came. A few minutes later, Max strode toward him, pausing a few yards away when Ben tensed.

“Where is he?” Max demanded, crossing his arms.

“I'll tell you when we've won.” Ben replied nervously.

“You've won. Where is he?” Max said, but Ben gave a snort.

“But we agreed that you would hunt us for half a day. Can I trust you when you say we've won? You won't go back on your word?” Ben asked bravely.

Max gave a growl in reply before spinning around on his heel and leaving. Ben could hear the man for searching, cursing every once in awhile. Feeling a slight bit of triumph, Ben bit back a laugh and laid down once more. He watched the passing clouds and birds, listening to the wind and Max as he got farther and farther away. His eyes slid shut and did not open again.