‹ Prequel: The Hunter Version 1
Status: Unfortunately, my laptop is not functioning. This story is on hold until I can get my files back from the old laptop.

The Hunter

Good Bye

Max's three days with Ben flew by with startling speed. Due to the mental shock of witnessing someone being murdered, of having been convinced he was about to be killed himself, and of having been wounded and starving for far too long, Ben's body was wracked with fever and exhaustion. Max did what he could for him, but even with the over powered medicine belonging to a Hunter, it was impossible to clear away the mental trauma.

The two spent their remaining time together tangled up under the sheet, sleeping. Max sung Ben lullabys and was pressed against him at all times. Toby watched the two like a hawk, but unfortunately for him, if he so much as stepped foot out of the basement, Claire would snatch him up for some 'lovey-dovey time' as she called it. In actuality it was to chase Toby into a corner and watch him try to fight against her. As she did this, Toby distantly remembered telling Ben that anyone would like to watch him squirm... He wondered if this was a joke played by karma.

At the evening of the third day, Claire no longer prohibited herself from entering the basement. Max was feeding Ben some soup while Toby lazily crashed on the couch, one led swung over the back of it. There was no sound to announce the arrival of Claire and her two followers. Max glanced up with alarm at the stairs and a second later the trio stepped down.

“Max, it's time.” Claire called.

She was no longer dressed casually as she had previously been when playing with Toby. She once again wore her silver outfit, though now there were a few suspicious speckles of red coating her legs. Her two companion were more obviously covered in blood, but it seemed that none of it was their own.

“I thought I had three days, Claire,” Max growled out, getting to his feet.

“I did my best. I even sent Mio by himself to the other islands to try to get you more time, but it seems we cannot dally any longer. Hand them over, please. Let's not become enemies over this.” Claire sighed, reaching out with one hand.

Max hesitated for a long time before his shoulders slumped and he turned to Ben. Ben's eyes were wide with fear and reluctance, but Max forced him to his feet and tightly wrapped him into his arms.

“I won't be sending you off, nor will I say good-bye. We'll meet again, Ben. I'm not finished with you,” Max whispered into Ben's ear.

Ben shivered, but he felt no hope of ever seeing Max again. Something deep, deep within his mind said that it would be impossible unless some sort of monster interfered. It was not just the fear of the unknown that Ben feared so much; it was something that was nagging at the back of his mind that he could not remember not matter how he tried. This little voice, however, warned him that if he went back, he would die.

However, Ben knew neither he nor Max had a choice. Max, the being who he had begun to see as a sort of god of this island was actually nothing more than a greater demon. The messengers of the real 'gods' alone were enough to strike fear into that once all powerful seeming beast. Putting the situation in such terms let Ben temporarily allow his mind to flee from reality. Max let him go and lightly shoved him over to the waiting Guards. Kane caught him as he stumbled and helped steady him.

“Tobias,” Claire called.

Toby, who had straightened up and paled considerably, stood only now that Ben was in the position of the Guards and could be used against him. He glanced at Ma, whose expression had fiercely hardened into nothing and knew they would get no further help from the Hunter. With that n mind, Toby dejectedly went to stand in front of Claire and the others.

“We'll treat him well, Max. See you in three months.” Claire called over her shoulder while she climbed up the stairs.

Toby hesitated a moment before nodding to Max and bolting up after the small group. Once outside he and Ben were told to place their hands in front of their bodies and were handcuffed together. Claire made no moves to toy with Toby, instead keeping somber and a tense eye on their surroundings. This was not lost on Toby and, Toby being who he was, asked,

“Are you expecting an ambush?”

Hearing this, Kane's lips twitched, nearly into a smile, but he restrained himself at the last moment.

“Something like that. There is someone on our list who managed to evade us and he is due for re-evaluation. Luckily for him, we do not have the time to spare on him, thanks to your friend Ben.”

“What do you mean?” Ben asked tiredly as they began to walk again.

“Benjamin, your family is seen as a family of wealth and power on the mainland. A lot of people want to get their hands on you, so if we are even a moment late for meeting your father, I cannot imagine the consequences. Even letting Max have those three days with you is putting us at risk. If it was not for Max and I having grown up together, I never would have considered it.”

“You grew up together? You knew his father?”

Ben's voice grew louder as his interest was piqued. Claire glanced at him with a raised eyebrow and Ben swiftly lowered his own gaze.

“Well, yes, I knew the old man. Max spoke of him to you, did he?”

“A bit. Anyway, what can we expect once we reach this mainland place?” Toby cut in quickly.

“Later, we'll talk about this later. For now, I want to get the two of you to the ship so we can get going.”

The two boys fell into silence, huddling close together as a chill settled around them despite the humid heat of the air. The group moved swiftly, despite Ben's stumbling. Kane remained exactly six inches away from Ben at all times and easily helped him to his feet any time he tripped. A few times Ben very nearly brought Toby down with him, but neither the Guards nor Toby complained. As Kane helped Ben steady himself, Ben glanced back and thought he saw a man-shaped bush perched in the trees slightly behind them. He smiled bitterly to himself; so much for not sending them off.

They walked for hours, taking much more time that it had for Max, Ben, and Toby to get to the hot springs. As darkness fell, Ben's motivation and energy swiftly began to diminish. A few hours a few the sun had set, Claire had enough and made Kane uncuff Ben from Toby and carry the boy instead. Unlike with Max, Ben felt absolutely no sense of comfort in this man's arms. He squirmed uncomfortably until they reached the beach and finally laid eyes on the Guard's ship.

“Behold, Goliath.” Claire called out as they broke through the trees.

A massive bullet shaped boat floated peacefully a few hundred feet away from the beach. The boys could not guess at the boat's fully size as much of it was submerged under water. A small motor boat that had brought the Guards ashore waited for them, surprisingly untouched. Seeing their eyes on the motor boat rather than the Goliath, Claire smiled bitterly.

“There is an automatic turret that will gun down anyone who gets too close. Unless the boat recognizes them as a friend. Kind of like the electric barrier around the hot springs,” Claire explained.

“Why are you bothering to explain this to them? It won't matter either way; Toby is already recognized as a friend and Ben will never see this boat again,” the previously silent Mio grumbled.

“Shut up, mutt,” Claire sighed, rolling her eyes.

They piled into the boat aside from Kane.

“Send us off, Kane, dear,” Claire cooed to him without an expression.

Kane nodded and pressed his hands against the bow and shoving the boat into the waves. As soon as the bottom of the boat lifted off of the sand bed, the man leaped into the air and joined them on the boat. Mio grumbled under his breath and crossed his arms. Ben watched as the five of them swiftly left the island behind them, his eyes glued to the trees, hoping to once more see that familiar figure. Before he knew it, Kane had hauled Ben over his shoulder and was boarding the boat. Ben's head drooped as he gave his last good bye and he was taken aboard the Goliath.
♠ ♠ ♠
eep. It's been awhile.