‹ Prequel: The Hunter Version 1
Status: Unfortunately, my laptop is not functioning. This story is on hold until I can get my files back from the old laptop.

The Hunter

Love Games

“I went to make sure we would be safe here. I wanted to make sure the waves would not make their way to us,” he explained when Ben asked.

Ben said nothing about Max's visit, not wanting to be laughed at, or worse; get no reaction at all. Max had said Toby was dangerous, but...there was simply no way. The two sat in the lean-to, miserable and bored for awhile as the rain pounded on, not seeming to let up at all. Hours seemed to pass, but Ben had no way to actually tell aside from counting. His mind was too full to count properly, however, so he did not try. Eventually Toby's stomach made an angry roar and Ben said Max had been there and left food.

“Did he say anything else? Like anything helpful?” Toby asked with tired frustration clear in his voice.

“He, uh, he said he would be gone for three days...” Ben mumbled

“How did you manage to get him to like you so much?” Toby questioned as he crawled out of the lean-to.

“Well, he said my priorities are screwed up. I think he gets a kick out of watching me squirm,” Ben frowned.

“Ben, anyone would get a kick out of watching you squirm.” Toby called over his shoulder before he went back out into the storm to look for the hidden meat.

Ben was bit his lower lip, wondering if he was supposed to have laughed. Toby returned not long after with a plastic bag full of dried meat. The two of them discussed the best way to split it so it would last three days while chewing on one strip. It seemed there was only enough for them both to have perhaps two strips a day. Ben was grateful for it either way, since it would give them some much needed energy. As they spoke, the rain turned to a sprinkle and then stopped completely. The storm ended, bringing uncomfortable heat and humidity.

Ben spent the rest of the day with Toby at the beach, finding a spot for their fish trap and starting to build it. They had it finished by the end of the day. Feeling triumphant and pleased for the first time in his memories, Ben grinned at Toby and the two watched the sunset together before heading back to the camp.

They had fish for dinner two days later. The fish was small and tasteless, but it was a nice change from the dried meat. Unlike Max's gifts, it was fresh.

By the time the third day had come, Ben was craving the fruit and berries Max had been giving them before. He was still hungry, but they had food now in steady supply. Toby was working on digging a hole in the ground to store excess fish, so Ben made his way to the beach to check the fish trap. He was devastated by what he found.

The rocks of their trap had been flung about at random. It was obvious to him someone must have done it; in the days since they had set it up, the rocks had not moved other than to sink in the sand so the two had to make sure to uncover them from time to time. Ben untied his bandanna and threw it to the ground in a fit of rage. He stomped on it twice before he paused, breathing heavily, and picked it back up. He sunk to the ground and covered his eyes with his hands, furious, devastated, and confused. Why would someone do that? He only knew of two people on the island aside from himself and Toby, and it could have been either of them.

Sluggishly getting back to his feet, Ben began to gather up the rocks he could find and drag them back in pile by the trees. He thought about setting it up again by himself, but he simply was not in the mood. After a few minutes of hot, miserable work, he threw down the stone he had and stormed back into the trees. Only to trip as claws grabbed his ankle as he walked.

Ben landed face first in the sand, missing hitting a large tree root by centimeters. There was a rustling of leaves above him and before he could turn, he felt a familiar weight on his back.

“Get off me, Max!” Ben snarled, swiping an arm behind him in an attempt to hit the man.

Silently, Max grabbed Ben's arm and twisted it, pressing it against his back, swiftly followed by his other arm. Cursing and swearing, Ben struggled wildly, the unpleasant heat that had not lifted since the storm, fueling his foul temper. Max shoved Ben down into the sand with ease until Ben was forced to stop or risk suffocating.

“Did you do this?!” Ben spat at last after a few moments of no sound but their heavy breathing.

“You can't bring attention to yourselves. That trap is like an arrow pointing straight to your camp, Ben! I can't believe I find this the moment I come back! What were you thinking?!” Max growled in reply, putting pressure on Ben's arms.

“Ouch! Let me go! We are just trying to survive, you jack ass! Maybe if you would actually explain some things we could actually manage that! Oh, I have a better idea, leave us alone!!” Ben yowled.

“You don't really want me to do that, Ben. Trust me,” Max hissed, his voice dripping with controlled anger.

“Well what do you expect from us?!”

“I made a deal with you, Ben! I left you food! I protect you! I am giving you and that boy every chance to live the easy life here!” Max replied loudly.

Without warning, Max suddenly stiffened atop Ben and Ben realized he could hear the sound of someone running. Running away. Letting out a string of curses, Max leaped after the runner and was gone, leaving Ben even more confused and frustrated than before. Ben waited a moment before he got up onto his knees. Clenching his teeth, he quickly made his way back to the camp to check on Toby.

“I could hear yelling,” Toby commented as Ben entered his field of view, limited by the large basket he seemed to have decided needed to be made.

“Max destroyed our fish trap.” Ben spat.

Toby slowly lowered the half made basket to the ground. His cheeks tinted red with anger, but he otherwise remained calm. His eyes examined Ben closely for a moment before lowering to his knees.

“We can make another one.”

“He doesn't want us to. He said we need to keep a low profile or something.”

“That's ridiculous. What is there to fear out here aside from rabid deer and him?”

Ben fell silent for a moment before an idea suddenly hit him.

“I think I can get him to explain. At least a little bit more, but it'll be hard.” Ben mumbled.

“What do you have in mind?”

Ben swiftly explained the deal Max had made with him. Toby frowned at Ben but did not comment.

“If we make the stakes a little higher, he might be willing to explain what exactly he wants us to do.” Ben finished.

“Or why we are here.” Toby added and Ben felt his cheeks color.

It seemed Max was right about Ben's priorities.

“...Right. Anyway, we need to come up with some sort of plan.” He huffed, embarrassed.

“I might have an idea. I'm sure Max will be more than happy with it.” Toby grinned at Ben, who was not sure he liked the look the other boy was giving.

“A game?” Max frowned later that evening.

“Yeah, a game. If we are able to stay out of your grasp for a day, you'll help us and answer some of our questions.” Ben stated.

Max had strolled into their camp perhaps two hours after, looking a little rough for wear. He had thrown off his mask and glowered at them both. Ben had been hesitant about bringing up the deal, but he thought Max had to have a reason for visiting them so openly, so he had spoken up.
Max thought about the idea for a moment before he shook his head and snorted.

“Only you Ben. You do know what I was originally expecting, right?”

Toby glanced at Ben, who gulped nervously, stubbornly not saying a word. Max cracked a grin and threw his head back with laughter. Ben also thought it would be a good idea not to mention the fact that it had been Toby's idea, not his.

“Alright, fine, a game. However, understand there are questions I will not or cannot answer. And I highly doubt the two of you can keep away from me for a full day, even if you have some odd thoughts, Ben. I'll give you two a handicap of half a day. I have some business to take care of tomorrow morning that should take about that long. You have until then to prepare.” Max chuckled, his eyes gleaming with an animalistic thrill.

“How can we be sure you won't cheat? You still haven't told us what your end of the deal is!” Toby barked, crossing his arms.

Max's smile was gone in a flash as he turned to Toby.

“Quiet, mule. The only reason you still breathe is because you have been good to Ben. I'll answer, but only for Ben's sake.” Max snapped, turning his attention back to Ben once more, his expression softening.

“I can only give you my word that I will be far away. There is...” he hesitated a moment, as if reluctant to tell them, “another camp about five miles west of here. I...well, I'll be there. Far, far away, giving you plenty of time. As for if I win this game...well, you'll have to wait and see. I will promise you, however, it will be nothing to harm you...either of you.” Max explained with a nod toward the setting sun.

“So...we have a deal?” Ben asked.

“Yes, Ben. We have a deal. And you have no idea how much I am looking forward to this. A game? Hah! But for now, eat up.” Max cackled darkly before pulling a pouch from the torn leaves of his disguise.

He handed it to Ben before darting away into the shadows, swiftly vanishing. Ben opened the pouch, but scowled at the contents. More meat. It seemed fresher than the dried meat Max had left before, but what Ben truly wanted was some more of those grapes, or another orange...even a carrot! His stomach grumbled, but he had little appetite that night. Neither of them ate and instead they went to bed, knowing they had a lot of work to do in the morning.