‹ Prequel: Renegade
Status: Active

Defector

Warehouse

The taste of iron coats my tongue as I have no choice but to ingest it as it leaks from my lip. No matter how hard I move, he doesn't release his hold on me until we are inside what appears to be some sort of warehouse. Without missing a beat, he chucks me on to the floor as the wind is knocked out of me. I don't have enough time to regain my composure before someone else is tugging on the chain that binds my wrists together. They string me up in the very back. Out of sight, out of mind.

Neuman hobbles toward me still not fully recovered from that bullet to the knee. He stares long and hard at me like I'm some sort of prize he just won, no doubt what Casandra will do to Logan. I bury him away in my thoughts for now. I can't help him until I help myself. Neuman steps closer to me making me involuntarily quake. I don't like admitting it, but I'm scared. He smirks when he notices my quivering lip.

"What's the matter, Cherry?" He wraps his arms around my waist leaving no space between us. "You're single now or at the very least, will be soon." I push my body against his, knocking him off balance ready to fight him with no hands.

He regains his footing charging full force and slams against my body, snaking his arms above my shoulders. He rests his elbows on them and puts as much weight as he can on to them. The force of his weight tugs on my elevated wrists. My screams are muffled by the gag, but the pain is excruciating. He lets up, allowing me to recover slightly. He motions to someone out of my sight and I feel my wrists being tugged higher. I'm forced to the balls of my feet and with that Neuman walks away leaving me alone.

Worry kicks in as Logan suddenly appears in my thoughts once again. Casandra wouldn't kill him, she couldn't. She cares about him way too much to actually go through with it. Although, she might kill him out spite. She is trying to get back at me for all I've done. I guess what it boils down to is if she loves him or hates me more.

My next question is why would they separate us? He came to the house and ended up with both of us, why not arrive with both? Unless he only came there for Logan, snagging me was a bonus. And instead of arriving with the two of us, he arrives with Logan whom she originally wanted all along and he keeps me as a consolation prize.

I linger on the argument for far too long before I begin to tug away at the chain holding me up. I'd rather not stay to find out what else Neuman has in store. I never considered myself a lucky person. Although luck can differentiate from person to person. I don't know why I would assume the chain would break for me, but I still had to try.

My calves begin to ache from holding my body up on my toes. Neuman has left me hanging in the back area for what feels like hours. I can stand on the balls of my feet for awhile, but not forever. I know as soon as I rest my feet on the ground, I will collapse.

"What took you so long?" I hear Neuman's voice echo from the front of the warehouse. I hear a female voice answer him.

I pray for anyone, but Casandra. Although, I find it hard to believe Casandra would allow this to end like this, me perishing in some warehouse without her around.

I hear footsteps heading my way. I remain on my toes feeling the burn in my calves, hoping for some relief soon, whether it be death or just a break. The female voice sounds familiar as I sigh in relief knowing it doesn't belong to Casandra, but where have I heard it before? They come around the corner as my eyes focus in on the owner of the voice. The Russian pet Mayor Fierce used to keep as company.

"She bleeds." She points to my probably now swollen lip.

"Minor inconvenience. But I kept her in tact for you, so I expect full price." Neuman says approaching me and gives my cheek a rub. The blonde rolls her eyes tossing a women's brief case onto the ground in front of us.

"She's gagged?" Her accent still noticeable, but not as thick as I remember.

"For your protection, of course." Neuman smiles gesturing towards her. I scrunch my face in confusion looking between the two trying to figure out what the hell is going on. The Russian stalks toward me, eyeing me down. "According to my employer," Neuman chimes in, "she's a real screamer." The Russian cocks her head to the side and then looks at me.

"Remain calm." Her native language seeping from her lips. "Very interesting." She smiles at him as if that's what she had said.

She walks behind me and knocks my right foot out from under me in a fluid motion. My wrists pull down from the ceiling as I feel my right shoulder shift. I scream into my gag as a new pain explodes in my shoulder. I regain my footing no longer focused on my calves burning, but rather the throbbing erupting from my shoulder. I close my eyes and breathe heavily hoping I pass out so this is over.

"Told you." Neuman cheers very pleased with this outcome. "You'll get your moneys worth."

"Key?" She extends her open palm toward him.

"I recommend keeping her," he pauses as if he's searching for the correct word, "secured. Only for your safety."

He hands her the key and unhinges the chain from the pole above me allowing my arms to fall with me to the ground. I shriek into the gag gripping onto my shoulder as best I can. She grabs onto the chain and yanks it forward, dragging me across the ground a bit. I yelp as it disturbs my arm.

"Get up." She demands. "You are embarrassing yourself." She taps her foot waiting for me to slowly rise to my feet. "You'll find all the money you asked for in the case. Thank you for your service."

She uses the chain like a leash and tugs on it as I follow her out of the warehouse. She shoves me into the back seat of her car and drives us away. She doesn't utter a word to me the entire car ride and I don't bother to remove the gag as I have no idea what the hell just happened or what is to come. She glances at me a few times in the rear view mirror, I guess to make sure I'm not doing anything I'm not supposed to be doing.

She stops the car next to the cemetery and lets the engine rest. She gets out and opens the door next to me. She reaches in and forces me to turn toward her. She kneels down in front of me and and unchains my wrists. They're bright red, throbbing, and raw. I give them a quick rub before reaching up for my gag with my left hand. She stops me and shakes her head.

"You might wanna keep that in." She utters before grabbing onto me and holding me still. She pushes against my shoulder as it slides back into place with a pop. I scream into the gag as it slightly muffles how loud it really is. I pant heavily into the fabric holding onto my shoulder as pain seeps from it. She reaches behind my neck and unties the bandanna and allows it to fall from my mouth.

"What the fuck is going on?" I immediately bark out as I try to get my bearings.

"Quiet!" She straightens her legs, stepping away from me. "The dead sleep." She looks down at me. "Come." She orders. I get out of the car and allow her to lead me through the cemetery.

We walk quite far from the car, but not far enough that I can't see it in the distance. We approach a bench next to a giant oak tree. She orders me to sit and walks away from me. I sit in confusion, but dare not move as I'm not sure what's happening. I stare at the gravestone directly in front of me and groan in disbelief.

Nolan Fierce.

"Did you bring me here to talk to him?" I call to her.

"No," a different voice answers me, "she brought you here to talk to me." I turn my head toward the voice as the body who owns it has a seat next to me.

"Elle?" I question her. "Is Ryan okay?" I ask wondering if that's why she wants to talk.

"Still shaken up about Bobby, but doing quite well all things considered." She doesn't bother to look at me as she sits so tall with her legs cross and hands folded.

"Then why?"

"Because we need your help."

"We?" I shift uncomfortably. "Who's we?"

"Vera and I are part of an organization located in the western division. We look to overthrow this mediocrity of a system and hopefully restore this nation to its original state with unity. Far too many lives were lost in this great calamity and we owe it to them to stand up as one and take it back." I'm quiet as I'm not sure what to say. "I hear my son has started his own here, at least that's what my husband told me."

"Holy shit." The words leak from my mouth quietly.

"But from what Vera tells me, it tends to be compromised often. Can't say I blame them since their family members are being held hostage."

"What?" I say dumbfoundedly.

"My dear child, you have much to learn."