‹ Prequel: Renegade
Status: Active

Defector

Darkness

I feel cold. Numb. The numbness of my body alleviates any pain I felt prior to these caliginous moments.

The world around me continues on while I feel frozen, stuck in a limbo of my own mind. Although I'm in a place of vast darkness and overwhelming loneliness, I never feel alone. I don't see her, but Phoe's presence surrounds me every time I feel myself slipping away.

I've tried to fight my through, but fall short each time. Whatever the cooling liquid which enters my body at alarming rates is, it keeps me quiet. Stable. Dead.

Imagine my surprise when I finally break through.

Her red hair always a welcoming sight to behold. I can't focus in on her beauty, but I know she is there. Her stance appears defensive. Whomever she is talking to, the blurry figure next to her, towers over her with an authoritative demeanor. My ginger beauty will not back down without a fight.

The longer I stare at the figure, the more she has come to reveal herself. I study her for a few seconds coming to the realization she has crossed into our world unbeknownst to us all. She looks older, but still the same as I remember her. Her originally brown hair is now almost pure white, but still closely cut to her scalp. The smell of fresh flowers and laundry tickles my nose hairs. The unforgettable smell of my mother.

As I'm still blind in my one eye, I know other betrays me since I believe my mother to be dead. Whatever this drug is makes me see things. And yet, Phoe interacts with the woman. Unless, Phoe isn't really here either.

I open my mouth to speak, but words fall short. My mouth too parched to articulate what I want to say. I attempt to move my tongue to moisten the area, but it's just as dry as the rest of my mouth. My eye feels heavy, but I fight it as best I can.

"Mom?" My voice sore and weak, but nonetheless, catches their attention.

The impostor swirls around to reveal herself to me. She rushes to my side, gripping onto my hand with great force. My body still numb to feeling, I don't acknowledge it. I study her face. Whomever this is has done a great job at impersonating her.

I move my glance away from her, feeling betrayed by such a cruel act. I look to the other woman, one whom has gotten me out of the worst places several times. I owe her the world. She's still a bit fuzzy in my vision, but I know she's the real Phoenix. I use the last of my energy to smile at her before my eye gives up and closes. There's so much I want to say to her in this moment, but am losing time.

"Phoe," I hear myself call, "I love you." The words tumble from my dry lips.

The chilling liquid forces me to vanish back to my world. My cold, depressing area where I'm alone in a inky pit.

I ponder on how I made it through to the other world. I did nothing different other than open my working eye. But even now as I try to open it, it only defeats me by remaining firmly shut.

I fight for what feels like hours, maybe days, before I feel something. My right hand is warmer than the rest of my body. It's an odd sensation, but drags me from this world and into the one I rightfully belong.

My vision returns to me as I'm graced with sight in both eyes. The world isn't as fuzzy as I recall it being the first time I came face to face with this place. I stare down at my warm hand and notice it entangled with Phoe's. She appears asleep directly next to me and as much as I want to talk to her, I let her rest. I thank whomever is listening for allowing these few minutes out of the dark.

Phoe catches my attention as she stirs. She glances around appearing unaware she was asleep at all. She moves her head back and forth before rubbing her neck. I muster up enough strength to squeeze her hand within my own. The action doesn't go unnoticed. Her gaze is on me with a smile growing across her lips.

"Welcome back." She airily chuckles. I contemplate on her statement. I don't think I'm here for good which makes this meeting all the more discouraging.

"I'm still groggy." My reply difficult to cough out.

"They're pumping you with something. I don't know what."

The unknown, cold liquid no doubt is what she means. I feel it coursing through my veins making them just as frigid as the rest of my body. The liquid which I feel is coming to claim me to the darkness again. I take in the room to further study it's contents while I'm away. Hopefully, I don't forget it as I slip under. I'm fading quickly as my eyes can barely stay open. I give her one last look, praying her face follows me into the abyss and keeps me sane.

Before I know it, I return to my prison. I'm not alone this time as I keep the mental images of the room my unconscious body rests in. Remembering the best I can, I focus in on the equipment surrounding me. All things I've seen before in a hospital which leads me to the conclusion that it's where I'm located. But why?

What events led me to the hospital?

I siphon through my memories hoping I can recall something. I remember being stirred in a moving vehicle. Pain exploding throughout my body eventually forcing me to pass out. That was the moment I was dropped into this darkness. I haven't felt any pain since then. I honestly haven't felt pain like that since...

Casandra.

My eyes flick open as I'm pulled out of the darkness. My heart rate is elevated as I feel it pounding against my chest, aching my rib cage. I can feel my veins become warm as my body is now fully aware. My thigh throbs in time with my rapid heart. Pain returns to me almost instantly, the only thing I'll miss about the dark world.

I suddenly notice I'm not the only one in the room as I'm sharing it with two nicely dressed gentlemen whom are standing by the door facing away from me. One peers out the window scanning the hallway, the other holds his finger to his ear and is silently talking in the corner. The one talking hears the fast paced beeping the monitor next to me is singing out into the room. He turns to me and mumbles, "he's awake" into his jacket sleeve. He lowers his hand from his earpiece.

"What's going on?" My voice still dry and hoarse, but filled with fear. "Who are you?"

"We work with your mother." The man replies.

"My mother is dead." My tone now replacing the fear with aggression.

"Elle Fierce is alive." The other man searching the hallway mutters not bothering to turn and face me.

"Where's Phoenix?" The question flying out of my mouth before I have a chance to swallow the words. The two remain quiet. "She was here earlier. I saw her. Where is she?" They exchange a look with each other ignoring my question. "Tell me." I growl.

The man in the corner reaches up to his earpiece and turns away from me. I take a slow deep breath as I feel my lungs expand to my ribs.

"I'm sorry to bother you, sir. He's asking for the girl." I hear him whisper. "What do I tell him?" I see him glare at me in the corner of his eye. "Yes, sir. I copy." He lowers his arm and faces me. "The information you seek is classified. I'm sorry. I cannot tell you." I laugh.

"Oh really? Then what can you tell me?"

"Mr. Fierce," the man by the window starts, "our orders are to keep you safe from any harm given to us directly from Ms. Detope while she is busy with other matters."

"Phoenix did?" I narrow my eyes at them.

"Yes, sir." He states. "We found she can be quite persuasive."

"She threatened you?" I can't keep the smile from forming on my lips. The laughter is just as hard to hold back.

"Not us, sir." He removes his eyes from the window. "Our boss." The two exchange looks and both crack a smile before the return to their lookout duty. "Ms. Detope definitely," he pauses, "has more guts than me." I hear him chuckle. "She's a keeper."

I lean back resting my head on my pillows. I smile to myself as I think about her.

She's the best.