‹ Prequel: Renegade
Status: Active

Defector

Plans

If I wasn't skeptical before, I sure as hell am now.

I'll buy into Ernest's bribery if only to find out what he's really up to. If everything Rider said was true, I need to be more on my guard than I originally thought.

Although...

I take another look around the room and marvel in its high class beauty. I trace my fingers along the king sized bed draped in a comforter which is softer than anything I've ever felt in my life. I walk my tired legs into the master bathroom and consider bathing in the Jacuzzi tub. Something I've never had the luxury of experiencing.

Even with the spoils of this place, I still find myself worrying about Logan. Being dragged out here to the western division was less than ideal and I'm putting a lot of trust into those fools Ernest put in charge of watching him while I'm away. However long that may be.

I can't say I hate the place. It would only be a lie I'm telling myself to avoid the guilt I feel for loving every second I'm here. Not only that, but it's the first night in a long time I didn't have a nightmare forcing me awake in a cold sweat. In fact, I could've slept longer if the phone on the nightstand didn't ring, pulling me from my dreamless sleep.

It was the fox-faced Sylvia whom was entrusted with waking me up and informing me I am to be dressed and ready for pickup in an hour. I grumble into the receiver and hang up on her.

I rest my head on the rising pillow as it deflates from the weight of my head. I sigh throwing the thick blankets off of me and begin to rummage through the dresser drawers filled with clothes. Unsure of where I'm going, I settle on a pair of jeans and plain gray tee shirt which both surprisingly fit me perfectly.

I head to the bathroom and glance at my reflection. I brush through my long, red hair and decide to leave it down which I rarely do. I secure an elastic onto my wrist in case I decide to change my mind throughout the day. I brush my teeth and slip on a pair of shoes before I head for the door. I slip my phone, which still has no messages or phone calls, and my key card into my back pocket and head out the door to the lobby.

The place is empty minus Sylvia whom is taping her nails along the desk to make time go quicker. The elevator dings from the corner behind me. I whip around as I see Ernest exiting the elevator and greeting Sylvia. He acknowledges me and asks if I'm ready for today. I shrug as it's the only answer I can give him.

The same SUV from yesterday is waiting out front for us. The driver, again, opens my door for me which I offer him a polite thank you. He smiles and nods at me before returning to his position behind the wheel. He asks if the temperature in the vehicle is comfortable to which I give a simple nod. Ernest straps himself into the passenger's seat and we take off to our unknown destination.

It's late in the morning and yet the roads are relatively busy. We pass by a lot of familiar surroundings; places we passed yesterday. Although, we turn down an unfamiliar road. After a mile, there isn't much but desert.

We pull up to a facility, much like the ones in the eastern division. Headquarters is what they like to call these places. Different yet the same as the government buildings.

Our driver pulls up to the front and goes to exit the vehicle to get my door, but I insist he remains where he is. I slide out of leathery interior and onto the dusty pavement. I walk around to meet Ernest on the other side of the car. He raises his eyebrows at me and commands me to follow him inside.

The place is busy, busier than the eastern headquarters I spent a brief time in. Ernest greets everyone he walks by and disgustingly acknowledges them all by name as if to prove to me how nice he is. I secretly roll my eyes as I follow him into the elevator. We rise to the eighth floor before the door stutters open and we make our way to the conference room at the end of the hall.

Upon entering, I realize it's not unoccupied. Elle Fierce sits eagerly waiting for us to arrive. She rises when Ernest enters the room and avoids eye contact with me. She knows why he's brought me here. And I hope she knows I'm fully prepared to make a scene.

Ernest takes a seat and motions for both of us to sit as well. He clears his throat and folds his hands placing them in front of him on the desk. He clears his throat as though he's going to begin to speak, but hesitates.

"Ms. Detope," he looks to Elle, "we brought you here to discuss our plan to get Casandra out of her position of power. Clearly, most are unaware of her sadistic hobby which is why we need to bring it to light. In order to do this, we need some help from you."

"Why me?" I lean back in my seat.

"Your history with Casandra makes it easier for you to get her to confess. If anyone could get her to confess, it could be you." He pauses and stares at Elle. I glance to her and she appears pissed off. She turns away from him. "And also," he quickly adds, "Mr. Fierce." I raise an eyebrow to him. "I'd like to send both of you in."

"You approved of that?" I direct my question to Elle. She looks to me uncrossing her arms.

"Logically, it's a great plan. Double teaming her with her rival and favourite person, she would in theory shut down." She says.

"Are you fucking serious? After all he's been through?"

"Ms. Detope," Ernest chimes in, "not to draw attention away from Mr. Fierce, but you also have been through hell and back. You have the opportunity to close this horrific chapter of your lives together. Is this not an ideal situation?"

"Not really." I huff. "I'd love nothing more than to see that bitch on fire, but I don't want Logan involved for," I pause, "personal reasons."

"I'd like to ask him myself." Ernest looks to Elle again, but she refuses to satisfy him with a glance. "Which is why I'm having him flown out here."

"He can't walk right now." I rise from my seat. "Look, I'm aware this need for power is ever growing, but involving an injured pawn into this game you're playing is how you get someone killed and make enemies. You're looking at two potential ones in this room alone. Is this really the risk you want to take? I think I made myself pretty clear in that hospital room. That man is the only family I have and if you think for one second I will not fight to the bitter end to protect him then you are sadly mistaken." I slam my fist on the table. "I refuse to do anything in this plan if you continue to risk his life by flinging him in Casandra's crosshairs."

The door behind me opens I whip around and see a suited man holding the door open. I hear the sound of crutches echoing from the hall and slowly, but surely Logan hops his way into the room. He gives me a sincere smile, genuinely happy to see me. His eye still black and blue but shows no signs of swelling. Colour has returned to his face no longer appearing wan. He lowers himself into a chair as the door behind me closes. He tosses his crutches onto the floor and elevates his leg onto the chair next to me. He sniffles and mimics Ernest's folded hands placing them onto the table.

"My sister hates you." He looks at his hands. "She said I needed another week off my feet." He grumbles. "But I suppose war waits for no one, isn't that right James?" I look to him unaware he had any idea of who this man before us is. "So what was so important that you not only dragged me and Phoenix across the country, but also brought my mother back to life?"

"Mr. Fierce, I'd like you and Ms. Detope to --"

"The question was rhetorical. Not your fault. I set you up. I know why I'm here. I need three weeks before I can hopefully walk again. Is that a good enough time frame?" I slowly shrink down into my seat astounded by him.

"How did you --"

"Know? Oh I've been outside the door the whole time. And honestly, I would've stayed out there the whole time, but I knew Phoenix was about to storm out and which would have ruined this dramatic entrance." I can't help, but let out a snicker. "I'd rather not drag this conversation any longer than it needs to be. Three weeks is the deal, Ernest. Take it or we walk."

Ernest is left dumbfounded, but a smile creeps onto his face appreciating his moxie. I rest my elbow up onto the table and place my chin into my palm tapping my fingers to my cheek impatiently waiting for an answer. Elle looks between all of us just moving her eyes as her head remains still. Logan rises from the table grabbing onto his crutches. He looks to me and motions to the door.

"Fine." Ernest finally spits out as I get up from my chair. "But if you don't mind, I need Ms. Detope to stay for a few extra minutes. I have something else to discuss with her."

"Oh, you can absolutely ask her yourself. I don't speak for her." Logan situates his crutches under his arms and starts to hop toward the door. He stops next to me and leans in. "I'll wait for you downstairs." He whispers into my ear. "Oh Mommy dearest, would you mind getting the door for me? I'd also like to have some words with you on our way to the lobby."

Elle scoots back and jumps out of her seat, racing to open the door for Logan. The door behind me closes as I sit back down at the table. I fold my arms across my chest and glare daggers at Ernest. He clears his throat and rubs the back of his head.

"I already have a plan. The time frame didn't matter to me much." I roll my eyes. "Will three weeks be enough time for you?" I raise a brow to his question. "Your part of the plan involves something," he pauses trying to find the right word, "consequential." He noticeably swallows. "Ms. Detope, Casandra has an interesting method of dealing with people. She has developed a type of serum which she uses when people challenge her to a game. The game is rigged as no one can withstand its effects."

"What does it do?"

"It knocks you out almost instantly. We'd like it if you attempt within these three weeks to build up a certain tolerance to it."

"Excuse me?"

"We've very closely mimicked it's effects in a safer way where you will not be unconscious for longer than ten minutes. You'd be training with Elle and several medical professionals the entire time. Ms. Detope, I understand this is asking a lot of you, but I ask you give one day a try and if you absolutely do not want to do it, I suppose we can switch you and Mr. Fierce's roles in this mission." I narrow my eyes at him.

"Why would you put this on him while he's also recovering?"

"I wouldn't be. You would be." He rises from his seat and walks toward me. "The decision is yours. But remember if you don't do it, he will have to." He smiles like the Cheshire Cat. "You're dismissed, Ms. Detope. A car will pick you up in the morning tomorrow."

I snarl at him before storming out of the room. No wonder Casandra ended up the way she did. That man is just as manipulative as she is. I slam my hands into the bar of the door to the staircase. I stomp my feet aggressively into every stair leaving a loud echo reverberate throughout the entire area. I reach the lobby level and kick up at the bar to this door causing it to swing open with great force. Logan and Elle both whip their heads in my direction. Elle's eyes widen and look away from me quickly knowing my talk with Ernest didn't go according to plan.

I can almost feel steam exiting my nose from my anger. It's bad enough he flew Logan out here while he should be recovering and now he's threatening to put him through more shit if I didn't follow through with his plans. It's so conniving that I'm mad I didn't see it coming. I should have.

Logan and Elle are both quiet as we make our way to the car waiting for us outside. The driver I've grown accustomed to jumps out from the vehicle and assists me with getting Logan into the backseat. We both thank him for his help before he offers to open my door for me. I decline and climb into the passenger's seat.

The car ride, as always, is quiet. I attempt to calm myself down from the meeting as I'm no longer in the presence of the toxic man. I sit back in my seat as I realize that could be said about so many people whom have been in my life. The only guy to never screw me over is sitting in the backseat. Sure, the level of trust we have to rebuild is exponential, but if today showed me anything it's that he is in this with me. Maybe we're finally getting somewhere.

I roll my head to left and glance back at him as he is studying the scenery out the window he is leaning against. He catches me looking at him and jokingly sticks his tongue out at me. I roll my eyes and look at our driver as he pulls up to the hotel. He parks and turns on his hazard lights offering his assistance with Logan. I thank him as we both exit the car. I make note to him that I never did get him name to which he tells us both his name is Simon.

We successfully remove Logan from the backseat and Simon lets me know he will be here at nine in the morning to pick me up. I thank him for his time as we head into the hotel and up to our room. Logan collapses on the bed and pats next to him. I slide in next him and release a heavy sigh. We have so much to talk about, but I don't know where to start.

"Thank you." Logan turns his head toward me. "You've saved me from a lot of death recently and I haven't had a chance to tell you." I offer a smile which fades rather quickly. "Mae got the results back by the way. She told me I was drugged that night." I whip my head to face him with a questionable look. "The night of the fire. The flask belonged to Drax. He offered it to me after we had a talk in the office about what was going to happen to all of us. It was a heavy talk, but he said things I wasn't ready to admit to myself. We sat in silence for awhile and that's when he offered it to me. So either he laced it for me or someone was trying to drug him."

"I think he was trying to kill us both that night. Just a personal opinion." I shrug. "I've had a bit of time to think about it. You were on guard that night and even with the fire, he knew I wouldn't leave you in there. I don't think he counted on me knowing the damn password to the sprinklers which by the way, password protected sprinklers is a really dumb idea!" I laugh.

"Brestion." He shrugs letting out a giggle himself. "How'd you guess the pin anyway?"

"1-2-2-4. December 24th. It was the only date I could think of that was significant for us." I bite my lip. "I mean, assuming that it's what you chose which it was. Everything happened so fast it didn't really register in my mind. You picked December 24th as your pin."

"Hey! Seeing you naked for the first time was an experience I was almost certain I'd never forget." He laughs as I roll my eyes at him giving him a light shove. "But seriously Phoenix, I didn't deserve the kindness you gave me even when things were ugly. I'm sorry for all of it. You should've gotten this apology a long time ago." I nod agreeing with him.

"In case you haven't picked up on it, but I love you, too." I let a heavy sigh feeling a weight lift off my chest. "You told me in the hospital which I wasn't ready for and I don't think your mother was either. It could've been the drugs, but my ear didn't twitch when you said it." I tease him which this time he shoves me slightly. "I think you've loved me for awhile, but were too scared to tell me especially because I left. I know that decision hurt you. It hurt me, too, but if leaving meant you'd be safe from Casandra, I had to."

"I know." He swallows hard. "But at least this will be over in a few weeks. She won't be an issue."

"I wouldn't be so sure." I roll onto my side to face him. "In the words of your mother, 'my dear child, you have much to learn.'"
♠ ♠ ♠
When there's confessions, you know disaster is on the way.
Buckle up. We in the homestretch now.