Light My Heart on Fire

Unpleasant Hostess

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing! How had she possibly thought that this would be okay?! To make this kind of decision without even consulting me, the homeowner! It was really rude and actually surprising. As I had mentioned earlier, Diana and I have never had a problem. Why would she start now after so many years?

“Please understand! He’s going through a divorce and has no place to stay.” Diana pleaded once she realized I was not okay with this.

Of course, it wasn’t like I had much of a choice at this point. Not with him standing in the other room! I crossed my arms over my chest and stared Diana down. It was obvious she was nervous now. At least I now understood what the awkward silence was for earlier. Diana had a friend she had already offered a room too and she had been trying to figure out how to let me know.

Did she ever actually come let me know? No! She did no such thing. Instead there was a knock on my front door damn near midnight! Since she already told him that he could stay I would look like a huge asshole if I turned around and told him to get out! Diana had managed to put me between a rock and a hard place.

I leaned back slightly to see what this Brian was doing. So far he was simply standing in the living room looking down at his shoes. In all honestly he looked slightly broken down.

“He can stay here for the night. I’ll think about the visit you so graciously extended.” The last part came out more like a growl. I couldn’t help it! She should have ran this by me way before even talking to him about it.

At the mention of me allowing him to stay for the night her face broke into a wide smile.

“Thank you so much! I promise you won’t regret it!” She went in for a hug, but I quickly backed away from the contact. No I didn’t want a hug from her at this point! Plus, hugging people always felt strange to me.

“I’ll get him set up in the spare bedroom.” I grumbled as I turned away from her. I walked down the hall towards the second bedroom that was on the bottom floor, Diana had the other one. The top floor was basically all mine.

Without a word I went about getting a spare blanket and pillow from the linen closet for this guy to use. His name was Brian and that was about all I knew about him and the fact that he seemed to be covered in tattoos. I knew nothing about this guy who was going to be staying in my house tonight and that was irritating beyond belief.

The more I thought about it the more I upset myself. It wasn’t like I could stop thinking about it though! Gr! Another drink was in line, a strong one at that.

It didn’t take me long to get the bed in the spare room ready. Diana could show him where he was staying. I wasn’t going to bother trying to play hostess. At this point in time I really wished I had it in me to be a complete ass. Sadly I wasn’t a complete ass and that’s exactly what I would be if I told him to get out tonight.

Tomorrow I would sit the two of them down and we would talk all of this out. I would even be talking to Diana about her decision making without me. Not that she had to run all of her decision by me! Just the ones that involved my space.

“The guest room is ready.” I spoke as I passed the living room, headed towards the kitchen to make my strong mixed drink.

As I was pouring my second drink someone walked into the kitchen. I didn’t bother turning to look. I didn’t want to talk to either of the people in the house, therefore I was not going to acknowledge either of them.

“Listen, I’m sorry this is an inconvenience. I left my wife...ex-wife the house and have nowhere to go.” A male voice spoke from behind me.

Despite the fact I didn’t want to talk to anyone I had to admit he had a voice that sounded rather nice. However, he was stupid for putting himself out on the street. Slightly chivalrous for allowing his ex wife to stay there. Then again I’m really not sure the cause for the divorce.

“Well, don’t get too comfortable. We will talk more about this stay of yours tomorrow.” I answered as I turned back towards him.

He was about a foot away from me, giving me the chance to take in his appearance. He had to be close to the same age as Diana and myself. There were lines around his eyes, eyes that suggested he had laughed a good bit.

The tight fit shirt that seemed to hug him perfectly suggested that he worked out. I must admit he was pretty good eye candy. Maybe him being at the house wouldn’t be too bad, granted it would be too long of a stay and he wasn’t a complete piece of shit.

As my words seemed to register in his mind his eyes widened in surprise. It was as though he had expected me to be a little nicer. That thought almost had me laughing! I was blunt and will always be blunt. Hurting peoples’ feelings with my words wasn’t something that was new. Did I like it all the time? No, but I couldn’t seem to help myself. It would seem that my mouth and my brain weren’t really connected, at least not when I opened my mouth.

“Now as pleasant as this conversation was, I’ll be taking my drink back up to my room now. Do not make yourself at home. If you need anything ask Diana to get it for you.” I instructed as I grabbed my glass from the counter and began to walk away.

I felt his eyes on me for the time being that he could actually see me. Let all of that sit in with him. Teach him not to expect to be able to be at home in people’s houses, especially if he doesn’t know the owner of the house!
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope everyone enjoys this update! I'm really having a lot of fun writing this story. Feel free to comment, subscribe or recommend ^_^