‹ Prequel: Met Your Match
Sequel: Broken Pieces
Status: Completed! ❤️

Falling Apart

twelfth

"Adelaide! Wake up!" J's voice cut into Adelaide's ears, stirring her from her peaceful sleep. Before her eyes even opened, she could tell that he was furious.

"What the hell, J?" she asked, doing her best to rub the sleep from her eyes. As her vision cleared, she saw him standing across the room, a hole freshly punched into the wall. She could almost see him vibrating with rage.

"Your sister killed Anthony last night," he said through gritted teeth.

"What?" she asked, sitting up straighter in his bed.

"He was giving her a ride like you organized and she got his weapon from him, shot him, dumped the body on the side of the road, and stole the SUV," J said, his eyes focusing on her for the first time. They were rimmed with red and she couldn't tell if it was because he was tired or because of how angry he was.

"J, I-" she started, but he cut her off with a laugh.

"Your sorry doesn't matter right now, Adelaide. That was my best man and he's dead because you insisted on letting your sister go even though everyone involved, including you, knew it was a bad idea," he said, and his words stung her. Tears rose to her eyes and he looked away quickly. "He called me before he got here to make sure it's what I wanted. I told him that I'd left it up to you."

"So you're saying this is my fault? That's harsh, J."

"I'm not saying it's your fault. I'm saying your sister shouldn't have been let go in the first place."

"I made a mistake."

"A mistake that resulted in my best man and one of your best friends dying, Adelaide," J said, still not able to look at the tears that were pouring down Adelaide's cheeks. He knew he was being harsh on her, but he couldn't stop himself. He'd known all along that the whole thing had been a bad idea.

"I don't know what else you want me to say, J," she told him.

"I want you to say that we have to put a stop to this!" he roared at her and for a moment she was just slightly frightened that he was going to lunge at her. He didn't, but when his eyes flicked up to hers again, he looked like he wanted to.

"No, you want me to tell you that you can kill my sister!"

"I told you when you got mixed up with me and everything else that you'd have to cut ties with your family. That wasn't a joke. This is what happens when family is involved."

"It's not my fault that my sister is the one that saved me, J. It's not my fault that you didn't even try!" she yelled the words without totally meaning to and could instantly see the hurt on his face. He looked at her as if she'd slapped him. His eyes changed and filled with tears. "J," she whispered, standing and trying to move to him.

"Don't!" he thundered, turning and leaving the room hastily. She got up and watched him walk down the hall and down the stairs, towards the front door. She heard it slam as he exited and then a moment later heard the Lamborghini's engine roaring.

Changing quickly, strapping on her guns, and running down the stairs, she got on her motorcycle and did her best to follow him. It wasn't exactly hard when he was driving a bright purple car as recklessly as possible. She followed him for a good while before they ended up at her sister's facility. She'd figured that's where he was going.

"J!" she screamed at him, getting off the motorcycle and running towards him as he walked into the facility. He turned and looked at her, his eyes full of fury. His look of slight surprise told her he hadn't really known she was following him.

"Go home, Adelaide," he growled, not looking at her for more than a second.

"No," she told him, moving to stand in front of him. He looked her in the eye for the first time and above anything else, she could see that he was hurt. Hurt by her words or her sister's actions, she wasn't sure.

"I'm sorry, J. I'm so sorry. You know I didn't mean that. Please don't do this," she whispered.

"It's true. I didn't try to save you. I didn't... I didn't know it would work," J told her, and she could tell by his voice that he was close to tears.

"I know, J. I know. I didn't know it would have worked either."

"I'm sorry I failed you, Adelaide."

"You didn't. But you can't do this. Please."

"She almost killed me. She killed Anthony."

"She's my sister."

Adelaide watched him for a few moments and could almost see his thoughts moving around in his head. She wasn't sure what he was actually thinking, but he was silent for a long time.

"If she does anything else to threaten me, my men, or you, she's done," he said finally, and she could tell that they were the exact opposite words to the ones he wished he was speaking.

"Okay. Let's go home, please," she whispered, glancing once more at the facility in front of them. "Actually, you go. I want to investigate this place."

"Adelaide, I-"

"Go. I'll be fine and you need to cool down."

"I don't like it."

"It's not up to you," she said, smiling sweetly and reaching up to kiss him. She stood by the door and watched as he hesitantly got back into the car and drove off.