‹ Prequel: Met Your Match
Sequel: Broken Pieces
Status: Completed! ❤️

Falling Apart

fifth

An hour later they were in J's decoy car, a plain black Audi, and on their way to the house. J was obeying street laws for the first time since she'd met him.

"Low profile," he murmured when she asked him about it, and she saw him smirk just slightly. A few minutes after she asked, suddenly he started driving just as recklessly as he normally did.

"J..?" Adelaide asked, and noticed him glancing into the rear-view mirror.

"There's someone following us. They'd been behind us for a while and I thought nothing of it while we were within the city limits. But now that we're out of town, they're still there. The one in the passenger seat has a gun," he explained, his voice tight and strained. "There's a secret compartment in the middle back seat. Don't turn around, but stick your arm back there and pop it open. Your guns are in there, along with a few extras and a big hunting knife. The knife's in a sheath so don't worry about cutting yourself. Get your guns and hand me a third. Act natural," he instructed her, and she did as she was told. She pulled out her two pistols and placed them in her lap and then handed him an additional pistol. She dug around in the compartment a little bit and found her holster and pulled that out too. She strapped her guns to her stomach as she watched J's eyes, still wandering up to the mirror every few seconds.

"What do we do?" she asked, and he thought about it for a minute.

"If either of us turn around to shoot they're going to shoot first and I won't risk you getting shot, because who knows what their ammo contains. Maybe we pull over and engage with them that way. It doesn't look like there's anyone behind them," he told her, and she couldn't help but notice how unsure of his words he sounded.

"Okay. Do it," she told him, her own voice unsteady. He reached for her hand and squeezed it tightly. He pulled the car over and she heard as the following car also veered to the side of the road.

J stepped out of the car, motioning for her to stay where she was. Shots rang out and she could clearly see that they were from J's gun, not from the men following them.

"I got 'em, Addy," J said, and he looked into the car at her just in time to see her be pulled out by a man wearing a black hoodie covered by a bulletproof vest. "Adelaide!" he yelled, firing a shot as the man ripped her guns off of her, his own to her head.

"Watch it, clown. Would she come back from a shot to the brain? Huh?" the man asked, and Adelaide could tell that J wasn't sure. Neither was she. Another man appeared behind J and focused on Adelaide. He pointed a gun to J's head and spoke to her.

"Try anything funny, girl, and your clown dies right here, right now."

"I thought you brutes wanted me dead anyway, huh? Just kill me. Kill me and let her go," J said, and Adelaide cried out.

"'Fraid I can't do that. I have no idea why but see, the boss wants you brought in now too," the man holding Adelaide said as he began dragging her to a van that had pulled up in front of them. She tried her best to fight him off, but it quickly became apparent that he was strong like her, only times about ten. He held her easily, like she was an unruly child.

A shot fired behind them and she turned just in time to see J falling to the ground. She lashed out harder against her captor and he laughed lightly.

"Relax, girl. It's just a tranquilizer. We can't have that one getting any ideas in the van," he said, throwing her inside roughly and giving her a shot of glowing green liquid.

"Is that..?" she began, instantly feeling weaker. The syringe seemed to be filled with the same concoction she'd been shot with a few times before. The concoction that had almost killed her once and had actually led to her death the second time.

"Ah. I heard you'd encountered this particular elixir before. It's not enough to kill you, just enough to keep you... compliant," the man said, flashing her an ugly grin. 

The other man threw J in a moment later, and she rushed to him and cradled his head in her lap. The ride was bumpy and she did everything she could to keep J's head supported so that nothing happened to him.

They arrived at the facility after a while and they were carried inside and to different rooms. Adelaide did everything she could to move to J, to follow him wherever they were taking him, but she couldn't. She had essentially no real strength after being injected. She called his name and the man who was pushing her along just laughed at her, shoving her roughly into a room and down onto the bed. He strapped her to the bed and gave her another shot, this one not glowing that sickly green color. She felt herself fading into sleep a moment later and before she knew it, she was completely out.