The Elevator Music

Elevator Music

Mrs. Randolph was standing in the hall watching the students leave at the end of the day. Freshmen girls traveling in flocks gossiped of the days "dramatic events" and who wore what. As the halls emptied of bus-goers, the upperclassmen were left at their lockers, slowly gathering their books, and conversing of more intelligent and sophisticated topics than the neophyte freshmen. Mrs. Randolph observed one particular student whom she'd had for several classes.

'Hello Melissa.' Mrs. Randolph said to her as she walked toward her. Melissa stopped.

'Hi Mrs. Randolph, how are you?' Melissa replied with the energy and enthusiasm of a young child.

Surprised, Mrs. Randolph replied, 'I'm good. How are you?'

'I'm just great, and you?' Melissa said smiling.

'I'm quite well,' Mrs. Randolph said.

'You've always been my favorite teacher; I can't wait to take another class with you next year.'

'Thank you, and you're a great student to have in class.' Mrs. Randolph was liked my many of her students, she was younger and she connected with them more. 'You know,' she stopped, not sure if she should tell her, but decided to continue anyway. 'There's a boy in one of my classes, and I've heard him talk about you. I think he likes you.'

Melissa's face lit up. She'd never had a real boyfriend, but she'd had a crush on a guy for a while. 'Really? Who is it?'

'I'm not sure if I should tell you, but I will anyway. Paul Brewster.'

Paul Brewster. Melissa was shocked; she'd had a crush on Paul Brewster since last year. Everyone loved him and thought he was really funny. 'Really? Paul Brewster, like, the Paul Brewster?'

'I heard him talking with some of his friends this morning, and he practically said it. He's been talking about this girl for a while, and I almost asked him whom he was talking about because from the way he described her, she sounded like an awesome person. When I found out it was you, I just had to tell you. Don't tell him I told you, I wouldn't want to start anything.'

'That's really awesome. Thanks for telling me. I, I need to talk to someone, but I'll see you later.' Melissa turned around and practically ran down the hall. She turned the corner and sprinted over to her friend.

'What's wrong with you?' Her friend asked.

'Lorraine! Lori, he likes me.' Melissa said, trying not to show how excited she was, but she was progressively failing.

'What? Who?' Lorraine looked confused as she rearranged her books in her locker.

'Lori! Who have I been talking about non-stop for the last year and a half?' Melissa was almost shaking she was so hyper.

'Wait, Paul? Paul Brewster likes you? How do you know this?'

'Mrs. Randolph told me, she heard him talking about it in her class.'

'Wait, I have that class with him... I've heard him talking about some girl, but I didn't know it was you.'

'Mrs. Randolph said the same thing, and this morning she overheard him and his friends talking about me.'

'I heard that too! But I didn't hear them say your name, I must have missed that. Yeah, so, Mitch said, "Are you going to ask her out?" and then Paul said, "I don't know, man, should I?" and then Mitch said, "Yeah, I mean, dude, if you like her, you should totally go out with her." And then Paul said, "What if she says no?" And the, it was really funny, Mitch replied, "She won't, Paul, she won't." So, maybe he'll ask you out, I don't know.'

'That's so awesome; what if he asks me out?' Melissa asked.

'Then you'd say yes.'

'Right, of course. I've never done this before.' Melissa thought for a minute then asked, 'What did he say about me?'

'Just, you know, stuff.'

'Like what?'

'He talked about your hair and your eyes, and how pretty you are and how you're sort of a hippie. You know, stuff. '

'Really?' Melissa was smiling. People described her as being happy all the time and mellow; she was basically a hippie. Paul and Mitch were well know hippies and had a group of "followers" of around ten other hippies. They were the hippiest of the hippies at their school.

'What else did Paul say?'

'He said he liked how you were into peace and nature.'

Melissa smiled. 'I like being a hippie.' She said looking down at her Birkenstocks and flowing skirt.

'He also said he liked your hemp necklace.'

'So, you think he'll ask me out? Should I talk to him or something?'

'Sure, he's right over there.' Melissa turned around and saw Paul and Mitch walking down the hall together.

'Hi Paul.' She said.

'Hello Melissa, you look particularly nice today.' Paul said, winking at her with his usual "Paulness" that everyone loved.

'Thank you.' Melissa said as Paul walked by. She turned back to Lorraine. After Paul and Mitch turned the corner, she said, 'He talked to me, Lorraine, he talked to me!'

'Yes I noticed.' Lorraine replied plainly. 'Would you like me to talk to him tomorrow and ask him if he's going to ask you out?'

'Would you? That would be awesome.' Melissa said looking at her watch. 'Thank you so much, I'll see you tomorrow.' Melissa turned around and walked down the hall. As she left school and the door slowly closed behind her, she stood in the parking lot for a second, letting the sun warm her. Melissa then continued toward her car and proceeded to drive home.

Melissa couldn't sleep that night. She was so excited for tomorrow. What if he asked her out? How would she respond? What if she accidentally said no? What if he didn't ask her out? What if he didn't even like her?

Melissa's worries followed her to her first class and she couldn't pay attention. When the bell rang, she mechanically stood up and walked through the halls until she got to her locker. She was doing the combination for her locker when, out of the corner of her eye, she saw Paul and Mitch walking toward her. She looked up and her eyes met Paul's.

'Hey Melissa, what's up?' He asked.

'Not much, you?' Melissa said smiling, trying not so show how excited she was that Paul was actually talking to her.

'Oh, you know, the usual.' Paul smiled and leaned against the lockers. 'Melissa, you look very nice today. You always look nice, but today you look very nice.'

'Thank you Paul.' Melissa waited for Paul to ask her. There was a pause; it seemed like forever, but it couldn't have been more than a few seconds. Mitch nudged Paul with his elbow, as if to remind him of something.

'Right, um,' Paul didn't have his usual "Paulness". 'Um, Melissa, do you want to go out? With me?' He added, as if that needed clarification.

'Okay!' Melissa smiled. She could feel her inner radiance shining through her skin.

'Awesome.' Another long pause. 'So, I'll see you later.' Paul and Mitch turned around and walked away. Melissa watched them until they turned the corner and then she quickly opened her locker, threw her stuff in and ran over to Lorraine.

'Lorraine, did you see that?' Melissa asked excitedly.

'Yes I did, did he ask you?'

'Yes!'

'And...'

'I said yes!'

'That was it?'

'Well, yeah, though he did say I looked very nice.'

'He didn't give you his number or anything?'

'No. Should he have?'

'How are you going to call him?'

'I never thought of that.'

'It's okay; you can get it later. Do you have lunch together?'

'Yes, so I can ask him then.'

'Awesomeness, I got to go to class; good luck with that.' Lorraine walked off to her next class, leaving Melissa all alone. Melissa wondered the halls until she found her friend Helen.

'Helen! Paul asked me out!'

'Really? That's so cool! I wish I had a boyfriend.'

'His friend Mitch is single... didn't you like him?'

'Yeah, kinda. That would be cool if we went out.'

'That would be awesome, we could double date! I'll have to mention that to him.'

'No, don't tell him I like him!'

'I won't, I'll just say, "Paul, I have this friend, and I was thinking, maybe, we could go to the movies, and Mitch could be there, and they could go out and it would be awesome" or something like that.'

'Right.' Helen replied unenthusiastically.

'I don't know; I don't even have his phone number.' Melissa sighed regretfully.

The last bell rang for their second class.

'Was that the last bell?'

'I think so. I'll talk to you later.'

Melissa walked to her next class and sat down unnoticed; hoping the teacher wouldn't mark her late. Someone did notice her. A boy who sat near her pointed out to everyone that she was late.

'Were you hanging out with your lesbian lover again?' He asked obnoxiously.

'No, she's not a lesbian, and neither am I- not that there's anything wrong with that. As a matter of fact, I have a boyfriend.' Melissa said and felt her cheeks flush pink.

'Really, what's her name?'

'His name is Paul.'

'Paul, Paul Brewster? The Paul Brewster?' He asked incredulously.

'Yes.'

Though the class was only 70 minutes, it seemed like forever waiting for lunch to talk to Paul. Melissa was so nervous, what if he had been joking? What if he decided he didn't like her any more? What if- oh, the bell rang, class was over. Melissa slowly stood up and walked out the door. As she walked to her locker, she looked for Paul in the hall. Just then, someone tapped her on her shoulder. She turned around to see Paul smiling with his usual "Paulness".

'Hi Paul.'

'Hello Melissa, would you like to sit outside with my friends and I for lunch?'

'Sure, I just have to go to my locker to get my lunch.' Paul walked Melissa to her locker.

'Paul, I just realized I don't have you're number. You know, in case I need to call you or something.'

'Oh, yeah,' he said and found a scrap of paper and wrote his phone number on it. 'I don't have yours either.' Melissa took his pen and wrote her number on his arm and signed her name next to it with a heart around it. She smiled at him as she took a shiny, red apple out of her locker. Helen walked up to Melissa and said hi because Helen and Melissa usually sat together at lunch.

'Is it okay if Helen sits with us?' Melissa asked Paul.

'Yeah, that would be awesome.' Paul replied.

It was a beautiful spring day. The sun was shining, the sky was a clear blue that matched Melissa's eyes. They walked outside and sat below an old willow tree with Paul's friends. Melissa sat next to Paul, and Helen sat next to Melissa. Helen looked for Mitch, but she didn't see him. Just then, the door opened and he walked out into the sun. He walked over to where Paul was sitting, but there was no where for him to sit near Paul, so he sat next to Helen. Helen turned to Melissa and blushed.

'You should talk to him.' Melissa whispered.

'What do I say?' She whispered back.

'Just say hi to him.'

'Fine.' Helen turned to Mitch. 'Hi Mitch.'

'Hello, you're Helen, right?' He said. 'You must be Melissa's friend.'

'Yeah.' Helen smiled.

The rest of the week was just like this; Paul and Melissa were still getting to know each other, and it was awkward at times. One day before school started, Paul and Melissa and a bunch of other kids were hanging out in the school courtyard. It was a warm morning; the sun was just rising and cast long shadows across the courtyard. Paul and Melissa were holding hands, and Mitch stood next to Paul and Helen stood next to Melissa. They were talking when Melissa overheard Monica saying she wanted to run for class vice president.

'Did you just hear what Monica said?' She asked.

'Yes, and I'm not going to vote for her.' Paul said.

'Do you know if anyone else is running for vice president?' Melissa asked, concerned that Monica might have to be vice president.

'No, I know our current VP is running for president.' Mitch said, and surprised everyone with his knowledge of class politics.

None of them wanted Monica as vice president because, well, nobody liked her. She had a really annoying, piercing voice and a personality twice as vexing.

'Someone has to run against her; I think anyone could beat her.' Helen said.

'I know, even I would win.' Melissa joked.

'You would.' Paul said. 'You should run for vice president.'

'Me? No, I couldn't.'

'Yeah, you'd be great.' Helen agreed.

'Seriously?' Melissa asked.

'I'd vote for you.' Mitch said.

'Maybe I will.' Melissa said. 'Let's go talk to our class advisors; I hope it's not too late to sign up.' Paul and Melissa left, leaving Mitch and Helen alone.

'I had a feeling this was going to happen a lot once they started going out.' Mitch said. 'It was always "Paul and Mitch", now it's "Paul and Melissa" and "Mitch".'

'I know, Melissa and I are like, best friends.' Helen said. 'I still see her, but it's not just her, it's she and Paul together.'

'Oh well, we don't need them.' Mitch said smiling. 'We could hang out.'

'Yeah.' Helen said, hoping she wasn't noticeably blushing.

And thus began the start of a budding relationship between the two "lost" best friends. At lunch, Mitch no longer sat with Helen because he couldn't sit next to Paul, but because he wanted to.

That day at lunch, Helen and Mitch were sitting together talking when Paul and Melissa entered their little circle of hippie friends.

'We have an announcement to make.' Paul said. 'Melissa is running for vice president.' The small crowd of hippies cheered, glad to have "one of their own" in office. The elections were a week away, all Melissa had to do was write a speech and make posters. They walked over to Mitch and Helen and sat down and stared talking about it.

That day after school, Melissa, Paul, Helen and Mitch made posters in the school art room for her campaign. After, the four went to see a movie and then had dinner. At the movies, Mitch sat next to Helen, and by the end of the movie they were holding hands. As soon as the lights came on the stopped holding hands, but they weren't fast enough, Melissa had seen them.

'Aww, they were holding hands!' She said to Paul.

'What if they went out? That would be so awesome!' He said as they walked out to Melissa's car. Melissa had a yellow VW Beetle. Melissa had painted flowers, peace signs, several pot leaves, rainbows, and other hippie related things on it.

The next night, Melissa and Helen went to see Paul and Mitch's band, The Elevator Music. Mitch played guitar and Paul sang; there were some other people in it too, also hippies. They mostly had original songs, written by Mitch or Paul, but they also covered some Beatles songs. After the performance, the four of them were talking it.

'You sounded really good.' Melissa said.

'Thanks, we've got another show next weekend.' Mitch said.

'I'd love to come.' Melissa said.

'Awesome!' Paul said taking her arm and walking her to her car. He opened the door for her and she sat in the driver's seat then he closed the door. He leaned through the open window and kissed her on the cheek.

'Good bye dear, I'll talk to you tomorrow.' Paul said in a fake British accent. He stood up and looked back toward the door and watched as Mitch and Helen emerged from the dark into the dim light of a street lamp. They were smiling and holding hands. Paul kneeled next to Melissa's car again and looked through the window of her car at them.

'Looks like it's contagious.' He said smiling.

'I was wondering when they would get together.' Melissa added as she watched Helen hug Mitch briefly before she made her way toward the car. She stood at the door of the car with her hand on the handle for a second and looked back at Mitch. He waved to her and she returned it with an electric smile. Then she thrust open the door and playfully sat down and closed the door. She looked out the window at Mitch as Melissa drove off. Paul, who had not moved from his position beside Melissa's door, watched the little car drive off into the night. He looked at Mitch and found he was also looking after the "Awesome Car", as they called it because the license plate said "AWESOME". Paul slowly walked toward his friend, but stopped about ten feet away, so he was still in the pool of light cast from the dull light in the alley.

'So,' He asked inquiringly.

Mitch smiled a smile that Paul had only seen a few times, but he knew what it meant.

'So you asked her out?'

'I did.' There was a pause; not an awkward silence, but the kind of silence that speaks volumes.

'Shall we go now?'

'Okay.' Mitch replied and walked toward Paul and the two of them walked off into the darkness.

In the "Awesome car", there was much more talking. Helen recounted the events between Paul and Melissa leaving and Mitch and Helen walking outside. In reality, the actual amount of time was only about a minute, but Helen's narration of the affair was far more elaborate and time consuming.

That Monday, Melissa had to give her speech for vice president. She watched as Monica gave her speech, and a few people clapped after. When Melissa got up on stage to read her speech, everyone clapped. Melissa looked at her classmates, and then back at her speech and then folded it in half and put it in her pocket. She didn't need her speech; she knew exactly what she needed to say.

'So, we will be seniors next year.' She paused while the crowd cheered. 'Who's excited for prom?' The crowed clapped again. 'As your vice president I will make sure our senior year is fun and exciting, I will listen to your ideas and see that they are followed through with. As seniors, I believe it is our job to give back to our community, the people who paid taxes to get us through school. I have many ideas for fundraisers. What do you think of a talent show? Letting our school show what it's got to raise money for our class trip. Your vote will be much appreciated. Remember,' Melissa said and held up her hand to show the peace sign' a vote for Melissa is a vote for fun!' Melissa was well accepted as she exited the stage and resumed her seat next to Paul.

Over the next few days, she had people she didn't know coming up to her and saying they would vote for her. She only hoped it was enough to win. That Friday, people voted. She and Paul walked the halls telling people to vote for her. She'd see people give her the peace sign, the sign that they'd voted for her. The rest of the day seemed to drag. Finally, in the last few minutes of the day, they announced the winners. First the Sophomores, then the Juniors, and finally the Seniors. Melissa listened intently as they said the secretary, then the treasurer, and then vice president. '...for vice president, Melissa Parker...' Melissa jumped out of her seat and ran into the hall. She found Paul's class and he ran out into the hall and hugged her, then looked her right in the eye and kissed her, their first kiss. It was short, but effective. Melissa smiled and said, 'We did it! I'm the vice president!' The bell rang and school was over. Paul walked Melissa to her car and he opened the door for her.

'So I'll see you this weekend?' He asked.

'I'll be there.'

The next Monday, Paul was walking Melissa to her first class when the principal stopped her and asked to see her in his office. Paul looked at her and she smiled insecurely as she followed Mr. Delemare, the principal, in to his office. Paul watched as the door closed and then stood idly in the hall. He sat down on the floor against the wall and waited for Melissa and prayed she wasn't in trouble.

Inside Mr. Delemare's office, Melissa was just as scared. Mr. Delemare directed her to a chair and she sat down as he took his seat on the other side of an old wooden desk. There were piles of papers vaguely organized and on the left hand corner of his desk several pens and pencils were held in a ceramic jar that looked like something his eight year old daughter might have made for him. He sorted through some papers and then stopped and folded his hands on his desk and looked at her.

'Melissa, you're probably wondering why I pulled you into my office.'

It was true, she was. 'I'm not in trouble, am I?'

Mr. Delemare smiled and replied, 'No, the opposite. Melissa, do you remember when you talked to the school board about Hall Monitors?'

Melissa thought about it for a while, it had been several months now, but she nodded shyly.

'After many teacher's meetings and council discussions and board hearings, we have come to the conclusion that there is a drug and violence problem in our school.'

This was something Melissa already knew; everyone knew it.

'After reading your essay on school violence and drug abuse and listening to your proposals for student hall monitors, we have decided to grant you permission to write students up for breaking school rules. But, you will have to wear one of these at all times.' He held up a pin that had the school name on it and the words "Hall Monitor" below it. He handed her the pin and the passes teachers gave students. They worked as hall passes, nurses' passes, but mostly as a pass to the principals' office.

'Thank you.' She said smiling. Realizing he had nothing more to say, she stood up and walked out of his office. She found Paul still sitting nervously next to the door. He stood up quickly and looked at her, expecting her to be crying, but was surprised to see her smiling.

'So, you're not in trouble?' He asked.

'No, you're looking at the first Hall Monitor of Lakeside High.' Melissa said holding up her pin and trying to put it on her shirt. 'I can't quite get it, can you help me?'

'Sure.' Paul said. His hands were shaking a little as he pinned the pendent to her shirt.

'Thanks. Are you late for class?' She asked adjusting her new shiny pin.

'Yeah, I think so; I wasn't keeping track of the bells.'

'Let me write you a pass.' Melissa pulled the book of hall passes out of her purse and wrote a pass for Paul to class. 'Here you go!' She said smiling as he took it.

'Thanks.' He said and he walked her to her class.

During Melissa's first class, she overheard someone buying drugs. She was going to write them up, but when she saw whom it was, she ignored them. A lot of Paul and Mitch's friends did drugs. Mostly pot, but it was hard for Melissa to ignore them. She didn't want to seem suspicious if she didn't write them up. It was known by many that they smoked pot, but Melissa could only pretend to be blind from them for so long.

That afternoon she and Paul hung out at Paul's house. Paul and Mitch's band, The Elevator Music, came over to practice. Melissa was listening to them while she did her homework. When she finished, she started on Paul's homework. The Elevator Music finally came to a consensus on whether or not you could rhyme "one" with "won" and their practice concluded for the night. Paul walked over to Melissa and sat down next to her.

'I did your homework for you.' Melissa said.

'Thank you, you didn't have to do that.' Paul said kissing her on the cheek.

'I wanted to, it was nice listening to you practice, but I felt a little awkward just sitting here and I didn't want to seem rude and read a book.'

'Well, that's very sweet of you.' He said helping her up. 'You're really too nice to me.' Paul said walking her to her car.

Melissa smiled and got in her car. 'I'll call you,' she said as she backed out of his driveway.

The next day at school, Melissa was talking to Lorraine when Paul came up behind her with a bouquet of flowers.

'Melissa, I have a surprise for you.' He said handing her the flowers.

Melissa smiled and took the flowers and Paul's extended hand. He led her to the music room where the members of The Elevator Music standing, waiting for her arrival. As soon as she and Paul entered the room they began playing. Paul walked up to the microphone and grabbed his guitar. Melissa recognized the song as the one they were practicing the night before, but when Paul started singing, she didn't recognize the lyrics. They were about some girl. About halfway through the song, she realized it was about her. By the end of the song she was in tears and ran up to Paul and kissed him.

'Did you write that song about me?' She asked.

He nodded. 'For our one month anniversary.'

'Has it really been one month?' Melissa asked as she and Paul walked outside and sat down for lunch.

'I wrote that song about two months ago, before we were going out.' Paul said. Melissa looked at Paul and, unable to find words, kissed him.

School ended a few weeks later and Paul and Melissa had all day to do nothing. One lazy Tuesday afternoon they were sitting under the shade of an old oak tree on the soft summer grass. Holding hands, talking about nothing special and staring off into the oblivion of nature that was sprawled in front of them like God's art. A plane dancing between the clouds and the broken tree line changed the subject.

'My brother got drafted,' Paul said without taking his gaze off the distant plane.

Melissa didn't know how to respond to this. The Vietnam War had all 18 year old guys on their toes, and Paul's brother Jack had just finished his first, and maybe last, year in college.

'Is he going to go?' Melissa asked at last.

'He has to; where else could he go?'

'Canada.'

'No, Jack would never run away from something like that.'

'If you were drafted I would expect you to hide from them. I wouldn't let them steal you.'

'How would you do that?' Paul replied with a smile.

'I'd marry you if I had to.' Melissa started to laugh until she realized Paul was not smiling any more. 'I didn't mean anything, I just don't agree with the war, or any war, and I wouldn't want to lose you to some political disagreement.'

Paul was quiet for a while but his eyes were deep in thought. Melissa feared she had offended him, but eventually a sly smile crawled across his lips and his "Paulness" came back. He turned to face Melissa and took both her hands in his and looked her straight in the eyes. 'Let's get out of here.'

'And go where?'

'Anywhere. We're young, the world is ours; we can do whatever we want.'

'No we can't, the world isn't ours. Where are we going?'

'You're so pessimistic and oblivious, but I love you for that.' Paul stood up and started to pull her up.

'Where are we going?' Melissa asked as she was reluctantly raised to her feet.

'Melissa,' Paul said holding her hands in his own. 'I love you. I love you; I've never said that to anyone before, but I love you more than I have loved anyone.'

'Paul,' Melisa felt limp in Paul's strong grasp. 'Oh, I love you too Paul.' Melissa starred into Paul's deep brown eyes as he gazed back into her soft blue eyes. His messy, dark brown hair cast shadows across his distinguished features in the light of the setting sun.

'Let's get out of here, just you and me, together.'

'Together.' Melissa repeated, lost in a dream.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, it's lame, but I was in high school, I didn't know any better! Thanks for reading!