Status: Ongoing and can be found on Wattpad and Archive of Our Own

Guess

One

A young woman walked down the sidewalk holding her long black coat closed as the wind did it's very best to whip it off of her small body. The trees she passed while she traveled were barren of their leaves and their spindly branches creaked softly in the wind. You could barely hear the light noise with the sound of the train roaring in the distance and the clomp of her black platform heels on the concrete. She walked with her head aimed downward, doing her best to avoid being hit straight in the face by the strongly blowing gale, but she still kept herself aware of danger. She walked with a purpose, something you had to do when you inhabited a place such as this. You could not afford to look weak here, not if you wanted to live. Giving off the air of weakness was a one-way ticket to a dark alleyway and a sharp object at your throat. Luckily for her, she made it to her destination without incident. She stood on its front step and gazed up in awe at the Gotham City Police Department. The structure was decadent and neo-Gothic in design. It was absolutely beautiful. She let herself give a little smile, feeling that she was going to immensely enjoy working here.

With that thought and a few others about the origins of gothic architecture swimming in her head, she bounded up the grey stone stairs to the entrance of the police department. She pushed open the glass door (something that was most definitely modified in the buildings plans) and stepped inside. It was even more awe-inspiring inside with its hanging light fixtures and curving metal beams. The building was a true work of art. While she was standing in the entrance of the place, she got a few curious stares from a couple male officers sitting at their desks, but she paid them no mind. She was too busy imagining the things the stones in the walls saw during the years this building was a precinct.

He musings were over as soon as she realized that she had absolutely no idea where she was supposed to meet Captain Essen. She swallowed and looked around the room again. Almost everyone had gone back to their previous work and none of them looked anywhere approachable. She was so busy trying to find a friendly face that when someone approached her, she took no notice.

"Excuse me, Ma'am; is there anything I can help you with?"

She turned with a start and found herself staring wide-eyed at a sandy-haired police officer with deep brown eyes and who was a great deal taller than her.

It took a small moment for her to recover from the shock," Oh, um, yes, please. My name is Kylie Wood. I'm s-supposed to be meeting with the Captain a-about the Assistant Archivist job, and I h-have no clue where I'm to meet her."

She resisted the urge to facepalm. Why must she be so plagued by social ineptitude? To her surprise, however, the man smiled.

"I'm Johnny, Johnny Thomas. And y'know, I was actually just going to go out on patrol but I think I can show you where you need to go. I always did have a weakness for pretty ladies."

Kylie sighed in relief, what a lucky break she had gotten, finding a friendly person in a sea of strangers had looked like such a daunting task. She had no idea what she had been worrying about. She followed Officer Thomas up a small flight of stairs to a curved platform and watched as he knocked rather loudly on the wooden frame of a door, behind of which muffled voices were heard.

After two or three knocks he spoke, "Hey Cap, I've got your new Archivist out here."

A brief silence ensued, and ended with a few short words spoken by an unknown party and the door opening to reveal two Detectives looking particularly unhappy.

She moved over so as to let them pass by without incident, but nevertheless, she received a very solid shoulder check by the larger of the two.

The man turned his head to look behind at her and glared, "Watch it."

And with that, he continued down the stairs mumbling something about a stupid broad, who she assumed was her.

Thomas rested a hand on her shoulder, "Don't mind Bullock, he's just got his panties in a twist over some case he and his partner are working--"

He looked like he was going to continue, but was cut off by the Captain summoning her into the office.

She smiled at him kindly, "Thank you for helping me."

He flushed lightly," I, ah, you're welcome. I'd be glad to help you out any--."

"Thomas! Aren't you supposed to be out on patrol?"

He paled a bit at the sound of Captain Essen's voice as she came to the door," Y-yes Captain."

"Then go."

He flashed an encouraging smile at Kylie before he turned and hurried down the stairs at record speed. In an instant, Essen's entire demeanor changed from one that exuded authority to one that seemed to seep exhaustion.

"Well, come on in," she said tiredly as she sat down behind her desk.

Tucking a stray strand of dark blond hair behind her ear, she obliged, closing the door behind her. Before she sat in one of the worn out chairs near the Captain's desk she peeled off her coat and revealed a black and white striped skater dress.

"Kylie, is it?" the dark haired woman asked as she stirred sugar into her coffee.

"Yes, Ma'am."

She sifted through a few files on the desk, and then stopped, scanning a non-descript piece of paper.

"It looks as if you'll be working with Ms. Kringle in the Archives, is that right?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

Essen slid a few forms in front of Kylie along with a pen," Alright, all you need to do is sign these and I'll send you off to your office."

She took hold of the pen and scanned the papers, signing as she went. They just covered basic things like insurance, liability, and other boring things. When she had finished the Captain looked them over and filed them away in a folder. Then after rifling around in a desk drawer for a short amount of time she produced a key.

"This is for your office, it's got a number engraved on the back. When you walk out of here, go down the hall on the left. All the rooms are numbered, just go straight until you find your door. The Records Annex isn't too far from there. I'll send someone down with your I.D. card later."

She handed it to her and Kylie smiled gratefully," Thank you."

A tired smile was returned back.

She stood up and was preparing to exit the Captain's office when a hand appeared on her shoulder," A word of advice from someone who knows a bit about certain people," Captain Essen looked Kylie straight in the eyes, "don't trust everyone you meet here."

Confused, all she could do was nod to convey her understanding. Essen let her go and watched as the new employee made her way carefully down the stairs. A rowdy bunch of officers clustered together shared looks as the young woman attempted to find her way to her office. Essen called to mind how out of place she looked sitting in that old office chair, surrounded by walls with dingy wallpaper. Kylie only seemed to radiate innocence, even now as she wove through the lobby, brushing by the other employees. All the Captain could hope was that the girl stayed that way.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Surprisingly, Kylie managed to find her office without too big of a blunder. She stood in the small, dimly lit place and tried, in vain, to find more light switches. She fumbled around in the yellowish glow of a single bulb fruitlessly, stopping only when she heard a light knock on her door.

She opened it to reveal a young woman with glasses and very pretty red hair," Hello, I'm Kristen Kringle. The Head Archivist."

Kristen held out her hand from under a large pile of folders for Kylie to shake.

She took the outstretched hand carefully, so as to not cause the files to topple over.

"Kylie Wood, it's a pleasure to meet you."

When the introductions were over Kylie offered to help her coworker with the files. Kristen accepted her help reluctantly and they divided the immense mountain of files in half. The two of them staggered down the hall, huffing and puffing by the time they reached the archives. After sitting the piles on top of a table they struggled to regain their breath.

"Who-" Kylie gasped out, "used all of these?"

After a few labored breaths, Kristen managed to get out a hoarse reply," Detectives Gordon and Bullock. They needed them for some cold case from a few years ago."

When the two had recovered enough, Kristen explained her filing system and they began to return the folders to their original locations. It did not take long for the pair to fall into a rhythm of sorts. Pick up a file. Look at the number. Find the numbered cabinet. Alphabetize. Repeat. Unbeknownst to them, the archive door creaked open. A tall man with brown hair and glasses entered quietly. He stood for a minute over the Assistant's shoulder and when she took no notice of him, he tapped on her shoulder. Kylie whipped around with a wide-eyed gasp.

"Oh, hello..." she trailed off uncertainly.

"Ordinary people strive to find me while heroes and villains aim to hide me. What am I?" The stranger awaited her answer patiently.

"An identity. Oh, you must have my I.D. card!" she replied with a smile.

"Correct," he held out a laminated card with a small metal clip attached.

"Did you know that the earliest identity document was put into use in the 1400s?" she asked excitedly.

This time, it was the stranger who smiled," I did not. But that is fascinating."

Kristen appeared from behind a file cabinet and her expression seemed to darken when she laid eyes on the person in front of her.

"Hello, Mr. Nygma."

"Ms. Kringle, always a pleasure," the brown haired man's grin was wide.

Kristen smiled politely and picked up a pile of folders a little too quickly to be casual.

"Excuse me, I have work to continue."

Nygma's smile faded and he focused on Kylie once again with a sigh. He stuck out his hand.

"I'm Edward Nygma, the Forensic Scientist, but you can call me Ed if you like."

Kylie took his hand and shook it politely.

"Hello Ed, I'm Miss Kringle's new assistant, Kylie."
♠ ♠ ♠
hello! This is my first story on Mibba and I would appreciate feedback of any kind :)