Status: After we finish The Hunter, we will work on this next. Hopefully in the next six months or so.

The Realm of Masks

The City

Alya found it impossible to pull her eyes away from the looming City in front of her. A shiver of dread threatened to ripple across her skin, but she held it back. She did not dare let her terror show, not with so many adults in the CUBE with her. She did, however, hold both her hands in her lap, her fingers curled tightly into fists. As the towering silver buildings zoomed ever closer, the brunet could feel blood draining from her face.

Two days prior, Alya had been tucked safely away in her room at the school, dutifully not thinking about the quickly approaching future, delaying the inevitable. The tiny room provided her with all the comforts she could ever ask for; warmth, freedom, and her books. She had been curled up with one of her favorites on the window sill, a world unknown in her head. The room was tiny, with space only enough for her bed, small, square desk, and book shelf with only a two foot walkway between everything. Everything was colored a soft cream, even Alya's school uniform, which was a simple dress that ended in lacy ruffles just at her knees. She also wore two pairs of the required white socks that stretched up to her thighs, kept in place with a few magnetic clips.

The only color in the room was from the several dozen books and Alya's dark green eyes. Even the world outside was white, a flurry of snow falling sluggishly from the sky. As she lifted her hand to turn the page with slightly pudgy fingers, there was a chirp from the desk. A screen lit up on the surface of the desk, waking Alya from her trance and she put the book down with a sigh.

“You may enter,” she called, not bothering to look at the screen and see who it was.

The door slid into the wall and Tobias from down the hall stepped in. His cheeks were slightly red and he kept his eyes trained away from Alya, who chuckled softly. Tobias was known for being shy of girls, but he had still volunteered in the Mail Room, which was mostly dominated by older girls.. He was a nice enough boy, but Alya had never gotten to know him well.

“Letter for you, Alya. It's from Allison.” He called, holding out a piece of paper with a slightly shaking hand.

Not wanting to frighten the boy with any quick movements, Alya jerked her head at the desk.

“You can leave it there, Tobias. Thank you,” She smiled.

Tobias nodded gratefully and swiftly placed the letter on the desk before he retreated. As soon as the door slid shut once more, Alya was on her feet and at the desk. She unfolded the small triangle and smiled as she recognized her sister's awful hand writing. Handwriting was the one thing Alya bested her older sister at. The content of the letter, however, made Alya frown.

Alya,
It has been some time since we last spoke, hasn't it? Ha, well, I should say 'written'. You've never been a fan of calls. If you were, this would be so much easier. I can't complaint too much, though, as it always warms my heart when I receive one of your letters. You can't imagine the number of times I have almost gotten in trouble for smiling! Luckily I am a smooth talker as always.

I've not written to you for idle chatter, however. You turned 18 last month, as I am sure you know, and I imagine you also know what happens at the end of this year. You've always dreaded it, but it cannot be helped. However, I may be able to make the transition from the School to the City easier for you by at least a little bit. You remember that I work in one of the branches of the Tree, right? Well, there will be an opening in my branch a little bit before you graduate and my bosses have said that they might be willing to have you fill it. However, they need you to come and meet them and take a test. If it doesn't go well, I'll still have at least gotten to see you. Three years is a long time and I have missed you desperately.

Now, if I am correct, this letter will reach you just before your break starts. That being the case, I will also send a letter to the headmistress and have her arrange a CUBE for you. You will leave the day you can and stay with me for a week. I'm looking forward to your visit, even though I know you won't be happy to come.

See you soon,

AS

It had happened just as Allison planned. Alya was granted permission, despite her wishes otherwise, and she had been packed up into a CUBE with seven adults from the Farms and the Port. There was nothing she could do to put it off. She was given a very brief lecture on how to act properly, one Alya did not need. She had been to the City before, for her father's funeral seven years ago. She still had nightmares about it.

As the CUBE passed under the grand gate into the city and moved underground, Alya pulled her bag out from under her seat and got to her feet. Her stop would be the first. A man at the back of the CUBE was doing the same and joined her at the very front of the vehicle. She bit her cheek against a scowl when the man strode up to stand directly beside her. They were also touching and she was thankful that the CUBE rode as smoothly as it did. A minute or two of awkward silence and the door to the CUBE vanished, allowing the two of them out.

“Alya, you've arrived,” a familiar voice called carefully, masked of any emotion.

“Allison,” Alya nodded in greeting, her heart thundering in her chest as she swiftly stepped away from the man.

Allison, the spitting image of her younger sister, a long sleeved navy blue dress with a white collar and black buttons hugging her thin body close, stared down the man with eyes several shade lighter than Alya's as she stepped forward to retrieve her sister. Two, massive men dressed in gray suits followed close behind, also staring down the man, who made a speedy exit.

Alya allowed herself a sigh of relief, but that was all she dared show. Like everyone around her, she kept her expression blank, careful not to show any sign of her emotions. She knew she would be watched, especially after such a display, but mostly because she was so obviously still as student of the School. People would be itching for a reason to report her.

“Let's go, I'm sure you want to get settled in. Come,” Allison commanded, yanking Alya's bag from her hands and striding forward.

One of the men, a Caucasian blonde with carefully spiked hair and brown eyes followed at Allison's heel. The other, a bald man with beautiful dark brown skin and eyes, kept pace with Alya. She appreciated the body guards. There had been rumors of unrest in the City recently, another item on Alya's long list of reasons she did not want to be in the City. Striding swiftly forward, Alya caught up to her sister, walking just a step behind her guard. They moved from the gray gloom of the CUBE landing in silence. It was not long before they stood on a platform that lifted from the ground and shot them up to the surface.

“Welcome to the City, little sister.” Allison called as their heads cleared the side walk and they were suddenly in the crowded streets.

The City was a cluster for several thousand buildings crammed into a 18 mile space, the tallest and most cramped building making the outermost ring of the City,walk ways and CUBE rails spiraling between and in and out of them, smaller, slightly more spaced out buildings were closer to the center of the City, although the seven branch buildings took up a section in the northern edge. Allison did not take Alya immediately there, instead the four of them walked toward buildings only 13 stories tall, one of which was Allison's apartment complex.

Although silent and walking at a brisk pace, Alya still managed to glance around. Not much had changed since her last visit, but she did note that there seemed to be less people on the streets. When she had come for her father' funeral it had been hard to move. You would have to hope the current of the crowd took you in the right direction. There had hardly been enough room to breathe.

They walked for half an hour before finally stopping at the entrance of an older looking building. Although there was no rust or wear, the silver metal was dulled with age. Alya found herself staring up to the roof where a small flock of colorful parrots flew in circles.

“Alya,” Allison called when the girl did not immediately move to follow her inside.

Alya glanced down at her sister once more and then at the body guards. She offered them a nod in thanks for their protection, which they returned. Alya joined her sister inside the building and the door shut, locking out the world outside. Alya relaxed slightly, but still knew better than to let her guard down.

“I'm on the fifth floor in room 5589. Go there, I must alert Headmistress Tido that you are here safely.” Allison told Alya, who gave a small nervous nod.

Allison pulled out a LITE and tapped the clear glass to bring it to life. Alya wasted no time watching and scrambled to get to the platform that would take her up. She pressed her toe on the button that would send her to the right floor and was on her way. In no time at all Alya was at the door to room 5589. She pressed her hand to it and felt a light sting of electricity. The door buzzed blue and then slid open. As soon as it was shut behind her, Alya threw her bags to the ground and violently rubbed at her face until she felt human again.