The Brightest Black

On that fateful Halloween night Bellatrix Lestrange decided to sate her bloodlust on an innocent muggleborn family. Life is never again the same for the Most Noble and Ancient House of Black.

Warning: This story has violence. Quite a bit of it graphic. Currently R, may rate it higher later.
  1. Halloween Night
    This chapter is extremely violent. Possible triggers. You have been warned.
  2. Time Marches On
    Sirius collects his godson and does his best to raise Harry and Hermione right.
  3. Introducing Miss Black
    Hermione begins her second year at Hogwarts and proceeds to foil some plans.
  4. Midnight Encounters
    Hermione and Ginny begin to deal with the after-effects of the diary. Also, revenge for past injustices is gained against the Weasley Twins.
  5. So Many Ghosts
    Hermione finds things returning to normal. Sirius finds himself focusing on the past, while thinking on the future.
  6. Trusting Family
    Hermione learns of the agreement between Sirius Black and Narcissa Malfoy.
  7. Draco Malfoy's Birthday Party
    Hermione and Harry 'crash' Draco's birthday party. Causing much outrage and whispers among the young Slytherins.
  8. Teenage Rebellions
    Time passes, people get older, and things get a bit more complicated.
  9. The Yule Ball
    In which Hermione prepares for the Yule Ball, attends the Yule Ball, and receives her first kiss.
  10. Three Articles
    Some rather unexpected fallout occurs from the Yule Ball
  11. Interesting Implications
    Hermione locates Draco. Narcissa continues to work on saving her plans for the future.
  12. A Bug Problem
    Draco spies on Pansy.
  13. The Bat's Lair
    The aurors are summoned.
  14. Ignorance isn't Bliss
    The conclusion of the Triwizard Tournament.
  15. A Year in Time
    Hermione ponders infinite space, Dumbledore muses on choices, and Draco finds somewhere to study.
  16. The Rescue
    Hermione races off to rescue Harry.
  17. Changing of the Tide
    The truth is heard by many.
  18. Family Connections
    Harry learns about the connection between him and Hermione, while Draco learns about what happened to Hermione.
  19. The Menagerie
    Draco and Harry both receive help from unexpected sources.
  20. Hermione's Cure
    Draco sneaks into St. Mungos.
  21. Summertime
    Draco has some interesting conversations, Hermione works on regaining her strength, and the summer flies by.
  22. New Marauders
    Sirius recruits a new instructor. Hermione reveals how she stayed sane all summer. Draco gets a surprise.
  23. The Quiet Ones
    Hermione and Draco react to what occurred previously. The Order continues to plan things. An upset occurs in Gryffindor Tower.
  24. Paper Hats
    Harry attempts to help Hermione. The Daily Prophet is once again up to no good. And the return of another character.
  25. The Breakout
    Narcissa Malfoy and Rita Skeeter do what they must to further their own ends.
  26. Emotions are Irrational
    Hermione and Draco both learn and react to the prisoners escaping from Azkaban.
  27. Shock
    Hermione deals with Draco's broken hand and he attempts to speak with her.
  28. The Malfoy Men
    Draco is found by Harry, Lucius is comforted by Narcissa, and Hermione refuses to listen.
  29. Childhood is Finite
    Alice and Sirius change their relationship. Hermione continues to think on a problem. Draco and Lucius have a heart to heart.
  30. The Christmas Holidays
    Hermione and Draco both separately deal with being home for the holidays in world readying itself for war. Draco meets a few interesting characters.
  31. Shield
    The Malfoy family deals with Draco's refusal to accept the dark mark.
  32. Mistakes
    The rescue mission turns into a full-fledged battle.
  33. Night Begins
    The battled comes to a close.
  34. Rubbish
    Rita goes dumpster diving.
  35. Guilt
    Hermione and Draco deal with their thoughts and emotions following the Battle of Malfoy Manor.
  36. Christmas at the Weasleys'
    Draco experiences his first Christmas at the Weasley's.
  37. Long Overdue Discussions
    Hermione and Draco get some things out of the way. As do Draco and Theo.
  38. Joining Up
    Draco and Theo find themselves joining the New Maurauders, bringing the total members up to eleven. Harry learns a terrible secret.
  39. The Department of Mysteries
    The New Marauders go after the prophecy.
  40. Appearances
    Quidditch is played, prophecies are discussed, and purchases are made.
  41. Reality Surfaces
    Draco visits Pansy in St. Mungos.
  42. Returning to Hogwarts
    They return to a Hogwarts that isn't quite the same as it was before...
  43. Hubris
    No one is above failure.
  44. A Perfect Dream
    Draco grows concerned when Hermione fails to return from Umbridge's Office in time for patrols.
  45. The Shifting Room
    A potion is administered as the New Marauder's begin to plot.
  46. A Good Start
    Hermione deals with the vititus dreams. Revenge on Umbridge begins.
  47. Revolting
    Hermione and her fellow students begin to give Umbridge the respect she deserves.
  48. Permission is Unnecessary
    Hermione is on patrol.
  49. A Vile Stench
    Hermione gets an idea and the article is published.
  50. Pansy Returns
    The Dungmistress responds to Hermione's article and Pansy returns to Hogwarts.
  51. Striking Back
    Umbridge bites off more than she can chew.
  52. Accusations
    Hermione and Draco attempt to figure out what to do now.
  53. Judgements
    Harry follows Draco. Articles are published. Things are learned.
  54. Chaos at the Ministry
    Hermione reacts to the articles in the Daily Prophet.
  55. More
    Hermione and Draco realize something rather important.
  56. A Real Date
    Hermione and Draco have an 'official' date in Hogsmeade. The Minister makes a speech.
  57. Couple of Pairs
    The New Marauders spend time with their significant others. Except for Fred and George, they go play with the Order of the Phoenix.
  58. Dumbledore's Funeral
    Death Eaters attack Dumbledore's funeral.
  59. Images
    Rita captures images of the Graveyard Battle. Fred wakes up.
  60. Patience is a Virtue
    Fred heads to the Marauders' Academy to talk to the Order. Hermione waits rather impatiently at Hogwarts.
  61. The Order of the Phoenix
    Fred informs the Order just how big of a mistake they made.
  62. They're Here
    Harry and Draco head off to check out the tunnel to the Shrieking Shack. Hermione keeps an eye on the Marauder's Map.
  63. It Begins
    The New Marauders and their allies react to the news that Voldemort is in Hogwarts
  64. For Hogwarts!
  65. Giants
    Fred arrives in Hogsmeade. Blaise finds Theo. Hermione confronts a Giant.
  66. Falling
    Luna explains her plan, but no one truly understands it.
  67. Not a Nott
    Theo deals with his father.
  68. A Sea of Darkness
    Neville wakes up, Harry encounters the basilisk, and Hermione and Draco collect roosters.
  69. Scars
    Fred catches up with the rest of the Order. Ginny goes to help her best friend. Hermione faces Bellatrix.
  70. Snakes
    The snakes are dealt with.
  71. Bonds
    The battle wraps itself up.
  72. Dawn Breaks
    Our heroes help rebuild the British Magical World.