Nevermore

Nevermore

“Hello,” she greets, though it’s more of an acknowledgment as she doesn’t move her gaze from the yellow-stained, old book in her hands.
He doesn’t reply, just stares at her crossed-legged in the dirt; bare feet, mud caked jean shorts, frayed at the bottoms just above her knees, and a pale blue tank top that’s been worn thin with the straps cut, or ripped, tied behind her neck. Not a word, he’s fixated, just a flutter of his eyes as he sits in front of her, not even a foot away, their knees almost touching.
He’s speechless, or so it’s presumed. He stares, looking her all over; dark brown hair pulled in a ponytail that falls halfway down her bony figure. He reaches forward, wanting to touch her frail-like arm, but catches himself midair, leaving his hand just centimeters from her.
She doesn’t flinch, just keep staring at the ancient looking book in her hands, her eyes scanning left to right, top to bottom, page to page, in a manner that she may understand the inscriptions inked into the papers.
He drops his hand to his lap, unsure of how to handle the situation. She starts to speak, still not once looking up from her book, “And the Raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door.”
She pauses, sliding her finger along the edge of the page, the paper too flimsy to slice her skin, “And his eyes have all the seeming a demon’s that is dreaming.”
Her eyes close, a long breath drawn in as if the words are hurting her very soul. The shadows of the scattered trees along the road slowly dance around them as the sun hangs low in the sky.
“And the lamp-light o’er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;” he notices her hands slightly tremble, her eyes still closed, reciting the words from memory.
“And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor,” she lifts her head, her lips are thin, cheekbones high, he stares, waiting for her eyes to open.
“Shall be lifted…” her eyes fly open; his eyes grow wide at the instant they meet. He knows those yes. Those golden eyes speckled with tiny bits of green and lined by light brown. He knows those eyes.
His mouth opens as he finds his voice, “-nevermore!”
They stare, fixated on one another. His green eyes are what she’s longed to see, no longer hiding behind his once shaggy, chocolate brown hair. His mouth hangs open still, his eyes glistening as tears slowly well. His lightly sun-kissed skin perfectly toned with a red and black plaid button up, faded, grey, belted straight jeans that sit loose at his hips, slightly covering his solid black converse matched with black laces. Not a speck of dust upon his head. They’ve finally reunited, born of the same time, grown in different worlds, together again though they’d promised nevermore.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ta-daaaa, this is it. ^-^