Status: Active Updates

Ultimate Betrayal

Three

I didn’t get a lot of sleep that night, I was too restless. My mind kept traveling to the unwanted, invading my head with all the possible, yet terrible ways my career will play out. Seth didn’t sleep well either. He kept moving around the bed.

I start the pot of coffee around five in the morning. I usually prefer sleeping in, but I know we’re both awake, so there’s no point in lying around for a few more hours. Seth rolls out of bed once the coffee pot beeps. I grab two white, generic mugs the hotel provides and pour us each a cup. I add a few creams and sugar to mine, but keep Seth’s black. He’s always liked his coffee that way.

“Didn’t sleep well?” He takes the mug out of my hands and sets it on the table while he waits for the drink to cool off. He keeps his hands on the mug, though, appreciating the warmth it provides.

“Not at all,” I admit. I drum my fingers against the hot mug. Seth is leaning against the wooden chair with his eyes closed. He hasn’t looked like he’s slept well in days, though last night was his first bad night. He may have not slept well, but I can’t help but smile at his bedhead. Seth’s curls poof up at night, much like they do when he’s in a long match. It’s always been my favorite quirk of his. “Did Mick text you?”

Seth shakes his head. “One from Kane, two from my mom.”

“Make sure you call your mom today, she’s probably freaking out.” Seth’s mom is the sweetest woman I’ve ever met. Her love for her son is unconditional, like any mothers’ should. She’s always been supportive of his dreams, and even gives him the best pep talks. During Seth’s injury, she kept him sane while he recovered at home. She even looks after our dog while we’re on the road. The woman is as tough as she is kind, but she definitely needs to hear Seth’s voice right now.

“Yeah, I know. She’s a worrier,” Seth chuckles. Hearing him laugh is such a relief. He reads his texts aloud. His mom wanted to make sure he’s okay, and Kane wanted to offer support. Seth and Kane have had a rocky relationship, but Kane understands how it feels to be ejected from The Authority. It’s good for Seth to hear from Kane. I can tell it makes him feel less alone.

“So, I was thinking.” I take a sip of my coffee before looking back at Seth, who is now giving me his full focus. “We could try to get drafted to Smackdown.”

“You’re going to have to forfeit your title if we leave Raw,” Seth frowns.

“Yeah, I know. I don’t really want to leave Raw, it’s always been our home. But, it’s obvious we’re not welcome there right now, and I think Shane would welcome us with open arms. It’s something for us to consider.” As much as I would hate to leave our brand, it might be in our best interest to. It’ll be a fresh start, away from The Authority. If we get to start over, we’ll be able to do it together.

“Okay - we’ll consider it. It is an option, even if it’s not ideal.” Seth groans. He runs his hair through his poofy curls while he thinks. “Mick is the voice of reason on Raw. He may not be as powerful as Stephanie, but he has input. He can help make this right.”

“He can put you in a match Hunter will sabotage. Maybe they want Kevin Owens to be the new you. They fight dirty, Seth. We know that better than anyone. We won’t stand a chance if they don’t want us to.”

“We have friends...” Seth trails off. We did have friends before joining The Authority. Most of our friends cut ties with us once we became strict allies with The Authority. Those who have stayed with us are only acquaintances now. While they’re good to us, none of them would take on The Authority. It’s career suicide.

“None that would help us.” I take the first long drink of my coffee. It’s still a little too hot, but I don’t mind the burn.

We sit there for an hour weighing the possible options. Truthfully, we don’t have any. We’re in a bad place no matter what we do.

Maybe we could’ve seen this coming, but there’s no coming back from it now.