Status: My attempt at fabricating a cool story

Elite Fatigue

Chapter 2

Micah opened his eyes. The pain from his headache was still present, but not as much as before. After about twenty seconds of staring at the ceiling he sat up. “Hi! I’m Oscar.” Startled, Micah swung around to see a blond guy around the same age as him smiling. “Hey, I’m Micah. What’s happening, where am I?” he responded now glancing about the room. “You’re new here, it might take you a while to adjust, but we’re in the same boat. I was brought here about two months ago. To be honest Micah I can’t say where we are on a map, but as for this place. Well, it’s kind of hard to explain at first, you’ll find out soon enough.” He was still smiling, he had a nice smile Micah noted.

He had a million questions, scrap that two million that he wanted to ask Oscar right about now. But barraging his new acquaintance with many questions might not be the best idea. He could use a friend right now seeing as he’s come from a similar position. However, there was one question he couldn’t pass over. “I don’t understand, why were we uprooted from our lives and brought here?” Micah said. “I can’t answer that with any certainty either. They have been training us, pushing us to become the very best version of ourselves. You’re in for a very rough month Micah, it’s always the hardest at the start. I can’t say what we’re here for and there are a few groups of people each doing different things.” Oscar responded. “We’re being groomed for something, that’s all I can be sure about”, Micah said. “The first guy I met, Tarquin, gave off the vibe that we would be working for him, like a slave. I still do not approve of any of this. It feels very much like a kidnapping.”

Oscar laughed. “I’m still entertaining the possibility that we’re secret agents. I’ve always wanted to be a spy. Although I’m doubtful, we’re not being slammed with impossible physical exercises. Maybe that’s incorporated in phase two. Phase one lasts a year, but who knows what happens afterwards? I was a lot like you when I first moved here. I’ll let you know there’s not really any use trying to ask questions, no one answers anything that isn’t common knowledge no matter how much you plea.” For the first time since his initial confrontation Micah started considering the pros and cons of staying. A daring escape is a possibility still, but for what? Looking passed how indecorous it was to be swept away from his old life, there wasn’t really much to return to back at home. He wasn’t close to his family, he led a boring life and had a boring job. He was seventeen and on antidepressants. That’s saying something. "I’ll scope it out for a bit and leave later if I deem it not worth it”.

“Come over here and I’ll give you a tour of the place”, Oscar said. The place didn’t really seem big enough to warrant a tour but Micah thought it would be nice to indulge Oscar as he was enthusiastic about it. He jumped off of his bed and walked over. “This place is kind of like a mini apartment.” He laughed. “So this is the main room and over here is the bathroom through this door. That’s it! You’ll notice there’s three beds, another person stays with us but he won’t return until later. Saving the best for last, we have quite the view outside our one window at the end of the room.” He skipped over to the window. Micah calmly walked over and gasped. They were on a mountain, or up high that was for sure. The view was stunning. He could see a beach down in the distance, with other mountains surrounding. Everything around them looked pleasant and green. “This room is at the very end of this side of the place, the girls stay at the other far end”, Oscar said. “Girls?” Micah said.

“Yeah, there seems to be like a hundred guys and a hundred girls. I’m the worst at estimating so I could be way off”, Oscar replied. “This place is pretty big. I view it as a school of sorts, but with some enormous differences. I would say it’s like a mansion but there’s multiple buildings and courtyards, several things symmetrical as if whoever built it had OCD. You’ll see, it’s built on the flat of the mountain. There’s even areas built into the mountain! I have no idea how people can do that to be honest.”

Micah liked how excitable Oscar was, it made everything sound much more interesting, enough to mask the daunting lifestyle that could be ahead, even if it just was for a bit. Because just then the door at the front swung open and bursting through came Tarquin, looking as smart as ever. “Good, you’re awake and I see you’ve met Oscar. You need to come with me now Micah, I feel your condition is quite clear. I’m a bit short for time so follow me. Or will I need to fetch some people to coerce you?” he said. “No it’s fine I’ll come”, Micah responded.

He said goodbye to Oscar and walked out behind Tarquin. He led Micah down a flight of stairs and out of the building. It was a nice afternoon. It was his favourite weather too, cool, but not too many clouds in the sky. Tarquin led him down a pathway, past a fountain and into a different building, spun around and said “Grab one of these backpacks.” There was a row of them, stocked up for people to take. Micah took one throwing it over one shoulder. In that moment he thought he was cool and let out a smile. “That is now yours, inside is everything you should need. Your timetable of everything you will undertake, your responsibilities and new clothing. It all fits because I had someone measure you when you were unconscious. You won’t be permitted to wear the clothing you’re now wearing”, Tarquin now smirked back. Micah didn’t realise that he was still dressed in the same attire from the car crash. “There’s nothing more for me to say. This first week is not that intensive and is more geared towards orientation. Oscar will have a watch for you to wear, go put it on. You have three hours of spare time now, to explore perhaps. Farewell.” Tarquin then left Micah alone.