Status: Enjoy!

She's a Gilmore Girl

"Grandpa, it's always on the house!"

My name is Leigh Gilmore, of the Hartford Gilmores. If you must ask then yes my mother is Rory Gilmore, the famous writer. No, I won’t introduce you. Life is hard when you’re the daughter of a multibillionaire. Everyone wants to be your friend just to see if she’ll publish their books. I can honestly say my only true friend is my grandmother, Lorelai Mom is always so serious about everything and Grandma can’t be serious for more than five minutes at a time. Sometimes I secretly wish she was my mother.

The car hummed as it sped down the highway. Mom was gripping the wheel with white knuckles as she drove. I rolled my eyes at her. She always did this whenever we visited Stars Hollow. I never understood why, considering this is the place she grew up and talked fondly of. Grandma always said it was because Mom missed someone. Maybe my father? I’ve never met him. Mom won’t talk about him.

Mom glanced over at me and scowled. “Put your seatbelt on, Lorelai Leigh Gilmore!” She very carefully reached over me to yank the belt across my lap and snapped it into place. “I know I’ve showed you the statics of dying without wearing a seatbelt!”

I sighed and gazed out the window, hoping just once that Mom would lighten up and have a good time while we were here. The leaves on the trees were turning bright colors of red, orange, and yellow. Fall was always so pretty here. A small beat up sign proclaimed that we had finally reached Stars Hollow. Mom’s teeth clenched as she saw the sign. So much for having a good time.

The small town of Stars Hollow wrapped around us. Everyone was staring as we passed and many were yelling at us. “Good to see you, Rory!” “Glad to have you back!” Mom threw a tired smile each person’s way. We finally drove into Grandma’s driveway. I quickly ripped off my seatbelt and bolted to the front door. Mom let out a frustrated moan as I pounded on the door. I smiled as I waited for Grandma to answer.

The door opened in a flash and Grandma’s arms enveloped me. “Hey, kiddo.” I beamed at her and held her closer. My grandma was the only one that every seemed like she got me. Mom trudged up behind me with the luggage. Grandma offered one last squeeze before turning and hugging her own daughter.

“Hey Grandma! Where’s Grandpa?” I scanned the front room as I asked her. The room was filled with old movies. The TV played in the background as I waited for an answer.

Grandma replied as she helped Mom with the bags. “Oh, he’s at the diner. I’ll take you over to see him if you want.”

I grabbed my bag from Mom and set off to the back room next to the kitchen. “Of course I do! I haven’t see Grandpa in forever!” The room was exactly how I left it. Blue sheets and pillows covered the queen sized bed and the bookshelves were full. I throw my bag on the bed and then ran out to meet Grandma in her jeep.

Grandma’s hair was shut in the door as I walked up to her. I laughed,” Grandma! Your hair!”

She glanced over and then started giggling. “Must be time to chop the hair off again!” She gestured toward the passenger door. “ You gonna get in or wait all day?”

I grinned and hopped in. “I am so excited to see you guys, Grandma. I missed you so much. Mom is always to boring. She never wants to have fun!”

Grandma frowned as she pulled out of the driveway. “Oh, kiddo. Your mom does want to have fun. She’s just busy working.”

I crossed my arms over my chest. “She never makes time for me, like ever.”

Grandma’s forehead crinkled as she answered. “I’m sure she’s got a lot going on, hon. She’s making the time now. She brought you here to see Grandpa and me.”

I scoffed,” Only so she can be alone and not have to deal with me.”

Grandma shook her head. “That’s not it at all, dear. You’ll see.” We parked in front of a diner, Luke’s Diner to be exact. I squealed in excitement and barreled out of the jeep as it sputtered. A man in a plaid blue shirt and a warm smile greeted me with a big hug. Grandpa.

Grandpa ruffled my hair. “Hey champ. Long time no see, huh?” Everyone in the diner was staring at us. “We don’t need an audience thank you.” Grandpa glared down everyone and they all turned back to their foods. “So what do you want to eat, champ? It’s on the house!”

I laughed,” Grandpa, it’s always on the house!”