‹ Prequel: A Tutor

Beautiful Art

1/2

"Markk~!" Jackson called in a sing-song voice from the living area of their dorm.
"Yes Jackson?"
"Are you coming to the party the dance majors are throwing tonight? Momo is hoping you are, you wouldn't want to let that sweet transfer down...would you?"
Mark paused, usually he wouldn't have any problem going to a party and dancing; but something seemed in the back of his mind made him think it wouldn't be something fun. He couldn't bring himself to agree.
"I don't think so this time. I told Haebin I would hang out with her tonight."
"Are you two finally dating?" Jackson teased through the doorway.
"Aish, stop saying weird things." Mark could feel the blush forming on his cheeks.

A few moments later his roommate walked into his bedroom, a slight grin on his face.
"Are you ever going to tell her that you like her? It's so painfully obvious."
"W-what? No it's not." Mark tried to defend himself.
"If I'm honest, we've all taken bets on when you'll start dating."
"Hush." Mark mumbled, his face darkening.
The art major looked at his roommate, trying to gauge if he was just joking with him or not.
"So you aren't going to come?"
"Nope."
"Momo will be disappointed."
Mark wasn't sure what to even say in response to that.

Haebin glanced at her phone as she listened to Yugyeom ramble about math.
"Noona! You'll never learn what I'm trying to explain if you keep looking at your phone!" His loud voice rang out.
"Ne, ne. I'm listening."
"What's so important on your phone?" The six foot freshman leaned over her shoulder to see what she was doing.
"Yah! Yugyeom-ah! Mind your own business!" She shouted with a laugh as she clutched her phone to her chest.
"Are you texting Mark-hyung?" The young man teased.
"W-what? No!"
"You're lying, your ears turn red when you lie about him, you know."
"Yah!" The history major smacked the younger man's shoulder with as much force as she could.
"Aish, no need to be so rough." He laughed rubbing his arm.

|Meet me in the library? We can go get ramen.
Marks text read. She smiled into her hand slightly. It was getting cold on campus so this was a great idea.
She shot back a quick yeah, and started to get ready. She dug through her closet, finally settling on a pair of jeans and a black tank top, over this she wore her favorite red and black flannel and a bomber jacket. She glanced down at her phone to see if he had sent her a time.
|6?
It was 5:50, she silently cursed and pulled her shoes from the rack.

As she pulled them on she went to open the door, as she threw it open she saw her roommate standing there. The young girl had a deer in the headlights look.
"A-ah! Haebin-ssi. Going somewhere?" Amber chuckled looking over her roommate's appearance.
"N-ne. Sorry to startle you, I gonna go hang out with Mark. We're getting dinner."
"Oh? You guys finally dating?" A slight smile on the Biology major's lips.
"W-what are you even saying? No, we're just really good friends."
"Mm-hm."
"W-well, I gotta go. I'll see you later!" Haebin brushed past her roommate quickly.

Mark looked around the quad in front of the library. She was probably just running late, he sat on his board watching people pass him by. There were couples shuffling around in the cold towards the on campus cafe. He smiled to himself.
Finally he heard a pair of almost familiar, hurried steps approaching him. He looked up to see Haebin rushing towards him.
"Sorry, Amber caught me before I left." She laughed awkwardly.
Her long black hair was pulled up into twin buns at the top of her head.
"Ah, it's cool." Mark smiled at her. He stood up from his seat on the longboard and gestured to it.
"I'll walk beside you, to make sure you don't fall."
"R-really?" She blinked, a cute blush lighting her pale cheeks.
"Yeah, come on." He took her hand and helped her onto the board.
She cautiously kicked off and began to go forward.
"I have this great little shop a ways off campus that's totally worth the trip."
"Okay." Her soft voice met his ears.

Haebin slowly skated down the sidewalk towards the station, Mark tentatively walked beside her. Whenever she would wobble he would steady her.
Finally the pair arrived at the station, she hopped off the board and passed it to him. Mark grinned at her and tapped his card onto the reader to let him into the station. She followed suit and walked behind him onto one of the trains.
The train ride lasted around ten minutes, they finally got out at Hongdae station.
"It's a few blocks that way." He pointed up the street they had just come onto.

"The weather really has turned, hasn't it?" Haebin's voice made him look over at her.
"Yeah, well it is almost December."
"That's true, how have classes been going?" Her voice unsure, she had a soft pink on her cheeks as she looked forward.
"I've been working on some watercolor, but other than that it's pretty basic. What about your classes?"
"Ah, I've been working in an Art History course that is a lot of fun. Well it was..."
She trailed off, he paused and glanced over at her again.
"What changed about it?"
"We're writing a paper, he assigned the topics and it's difficult."
"Oh? What's the topic, maybe I can help."
"W-well, it's about love shown through art in the past and present and how its changed or stayed the same as time goes on."
"O-oh." Mark stuttered, a blush on his cheeks.

The steam rose from the large bowl of noodles between them, Haebin smiled at the food in front of her.
Mark could practically see her glow, she always looked so radiant when she smiled.
"You should come back to the dorm and hang out." Mark commented as he broke his chopsticks apart. She looked up, a noodle hanging out of her mouth. She really looked adorable.
"Yeah, sure. Won't Jackson poke fun though?" She asked as she finished eating the noodle in her mouth.
"Nah, he's at a party with the dance majors. It's just us."
It took him a minute to realize what he had said, he could feel is face heat up.
He was a shy person, yes, but he couldn't help but feel ridiculous when he started to blush around her.

He glanced down at his phone after a while and realized it was almost 9, it had just hit him how long they had been there.
"We should probably go. It's a long walk back to the station."
"Hm? Oh, wow." She blinked at her phone as she checked the time.
He quickly paid their ticket before she could say anything.

The pair exited the restaurant only to feel the heaviness of rain pour down onto them.
"Shit! I forgot an umbrella." Mark exclaimed as the looked down at her.
"Same!" She squeaked.
"Guess we better run." Mark laughed, he grabbed her hand and pulled her down the street.

"Here," He tossed a towel to the drenched history major. "You should go take a shower."
"Gamsa." She smiled at him.
As she said that she turned on her heel and walked to the bathroom, after a few minutes he heard the water turn on.
It finally dawned on him that she didn't have any clothes to change into, he quickly went to his dresser and pulled out a pair of joggers and one of his hoodies.

"M-Mark-oppa?" Haebin's voice came muffled from the bathroom.
"Ah! Haebin-ssi, I have some clothes for you to wear. I didn't think about the fact that you didn't have any with you."
"G-gamsa."
He quickly walked to the bathroom door and opened it ever so slightly, only enough so he could stick his hand through to pass her the clothes.
During her shower he had dried his hair with the blow dryer and changed into a pair of sweatpants and a sweater.

Haebin was curled up under two throw blankets as she sat across from Mark on his bed. They shared one of the two across their legs. He casually leaned against the headboard, the neckline of his sweater falling down past his collarbones. His hair was tousled by the dryer, a relaxed expression on his face.
She let her pencil glide across the sketch pad, she only had the shape of his body drawn out. She began to work on the details of his hair, give a rough shape to the strands of silvery-blond.

"Ya! What are you even doing?" Mark laughed as she pressed her cold feet closer to him.
"What are you even talking about?" Haebin grinned at him, feigning innocence.
"How are you even this cold?" He questioned, he reached his hands down and wrapped them around her cold extremities.
"It's my cold, dead heart." She chuckled.
"Nonsense, you have to be kindhearted and caring if you can deal with Yugyeom all the time."
She smiled over at him, the pencil in her hand still for a bit as their eyes met.

A bang against the door of room made her jump.
"Markk!" Jackson's voice met her ears.
The young basketball player sat up from against the headboard. After a few seconds the door opened and Jackson walked into Mark's bedroom followed closely by a young woman with long blonde hair and doe-y dark brown eyes.
"Ah! Haebin-ssi!" The dance major grinned at her.
"H-hello Jackson-ssi."
"Have you met Momo? She's a transfer student from Kyoto!" Jackson exclaimed with a smile.
"I don't think I have, pleasure to meet you."
"You as well! Jackson has told me many wonderful things about you." She trailed off and looked over to the young man across from Haebin.
"Ah! Mark-senpai!" She was practically glowing with excitement.

Haebin watched as Mark listened to Momo talk quickly, the history major realized that it was as good a time as any to leave the dorm. She began to pull on her Marten's beside the door.
"Leaving already, Haebin-ssi? Mark will be sad when he realizes you've gone." Jackson commented as he followed her from Mark's room to the living area of the dorm.
"Oh please, we both know he's too busy to notice." She scoffed, she tried to keep as much venom out of her tone as she could but it was difficult.
"You can't possibly be jealous." Jackson laughed.
"Goodbye." She said curtly as she pulled the door open and quickly left the dorm.

Mark looked around as casually as he could, Haebin seemed to have disappeared. Momo talked so quickly that Japanese had started to mix into her Korean, she moved her head ever so slightly to emphasize something she had told him. He felt bad that he wasn't paying enough attention to what she was saying to him.
"Don't you think?" - Was all Mark heard as he tuned back into the conversation.
"H-hm?"
"That we should get coffee some time?" She asked, a smile on her lips.
"I-I don't really drink coffee." He tried to come up with an excuse, hoping she wouldn't look around to see the empty coffee cans on the bedside table.
"Oh, well maybe dinner sometime." She sounded sightly crestfallen.
"Uh, yeah maybe." He nodded.
He nodded for her to follow him from his room, he looked around.
In the sitting room was only Jackson lounging on the couch.

The door shut as Momo left.
"Where'd Haebin go?"
"She went back to her dorm." Jackson commented as he studied his Biology textbook on the sofa.
"Why'd she do that?" Mark mumbled, almost to himself.
"Well, you were talking to Momo and she didn't want to third-wheel."
"She wouldn't have left if YOU hadn't brought Momo home." Mark snapped looking over at his roommate.
"Are you actually mad at me? Momo really wanted to see you, she begged for over two hours for me to bring her with me."
"Still, did you even walk Haebin back? What if something happened to her?"
"You didn't walk Momo home." Jackson countered.
"She lives in this building." The basketball player snapped. "Whatever, goodnight."
Mark turned around and went to his room.
"If you're worried, you should call her." Jackson shouted across the dorm.

Haebin glanced at her phone as she felt it vibrate on her bed next to her.
Incoming call from Mark Tuan.
She rolled her eyes but picked up the phone regardless.
"Ne?"
"Oh thank god, you got home okay?" He sounded so relieved.
"Ne."
"Why'd you leave?" There was a slight edge of hurt in his voice.
"That paper I told you about, I really need to work on it so I came back to my dorm."
"Ah, okay."
"I'll bring you the clothes back tomorrow." She said quietly.
"It's fine, just when you get time." He commented she could hear the passiveness in his voice, he really didn't seem to mind.