Shattered Crowns

Chapter Three

I groaned and dropped my head on the desk with a heavy thud. Beside me, Rowan let out an exasperated sigh. She moved my head to the side and grabbed the thick book.

“No,” I said, snatching it. I tugged but she wouldn’t let go. “I have to keep reading.”

“Sorina, you’re going to drive yourself insane,” Rowan argued, tugging on it as well.

“They’re going to be here in less than two days! I need to be familiar with Morandaal or I’ll embarrass everyone!”

Rowan rolled her eyes. “It’s just some ambassador with a few knights.”

I glared. “An ambassador is just as important as a king, you know this.”

With a final tug, Rowan won our fight over the book. I huffed and leaned back in my chair, staring up at the ceiling.

“How about we make a deal?” Rowan said and I looked at her. “I’ll ask you five questions. If you get them all right, you take a break. If you get them wrong, then I’ll let you study to your little heart’s content. Deal?”

“Deal,” I agreed and sat up straight.

She cleared her throat dramatically and flung the book open. I rolled my eyes at her theatrics while she scanned the book.

“All right, how old is Morandaal?” she asked.

“As old as Everglen,” I answered promptly. She arched a brow. “At least 2,000 years.”

“Good,” she said. “How many kings have they had?”

“Counting Desmond?” I asked and she nodded. “Two hundred and thirty-six.”

“No,” Rowan said then did a double take. “Wait. No, you’re right. They’ve only had that many?”

“Vampires are immortal,” I reminded her.

“So are we but we’ve had nearly one thousand,” she said. I just shrugged so she went to the third question. “Why did the first king decide to put the castle in Morandaal?”

“Because of the climate,” I said. “The sun is harsh on vampire eyes and skin. Mountain ranges offer very little sun and the air is colder which is a preference of theirs. Though I believe they’ve grown used to the cold air over time,” I added. “I’ll miss Everglen.”

At this, Rowan looked up. “What do you mean?”

“Well, I’ll be going to Morandaal,” I said, feeling depressed suddenly. I looked out the window at the bright day. “I will be ruling alongside my husband.”

“But then who will lead Everglen?”

I shrugged. Even though the sun was shining, I was starting to feel cold and depressed. Rowan picked up on it and slammed the book shut.

“I’m breaking the deal,” she said and grabbed my wrist. “Come on. Let’s go shoot.”

I smiled. Archery always made me feel better and I went without a fight. We linked our arms as we walked down the halls. Servants curtsied and a few shot Rowan scandalized looks. I glanced at her but she didn’t seem bothered by it.

“I’m not going to let anyone change my relationship with you,” she said when I pointed it out.

A guard opened the back door for us – a quicker route to the archer’s court.

“I understand and appreciate it,” I said, “but when we get to Morandaal, we must be traditional.”

She wrinkled her nose. “Says who?”

“Vampires are all about tradition,” I reminded her. “Just look at how they’re coming to get us: They’re not bringing their prince. Superstitions and traditions rule vampires. It won’t be forever; just until we get comfortable there.”

Rowan didn’t answer as we reached the court. A few guards were practicing and we paused to watch them. One in particular I always loved to watch. Balin was the one who had taught me archery after my constant nagging and begging. My father only trusted Balin to do it. Balin was also the only person to know about Rowan’s daggers. He had commissioned them especially for her.

He must have felt me watching for he stopped. He looked around and grinned when he saw me.

“It’s about time you got out of that library,” he said, beckoning to a guard. “Bring the princess her bow and quiver, please.”

“Yes, sir,” the guard said, gaping at us.

Balin cleared his throat pointedly and the guard ran off, blushing.

“Forgive him. He’s new.”

I shook my head. “It’s okay.”

I was used to being stared at. I was very beautiful and had many suitors over the years. My mother had always been the one to turn them away. I never understood why but perhaps a part of her knew that, eventually, my hand would be needed to settle political disputes.

The thought did nothing to improve my mood and Rowan pressed the bow and quiver into my hands when I kept staring at the ground. I blinked a few times and went to Balin’s target. I docked an arrow and drew it back. I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply.

The moment I did, I could feel everything in more detail. I could feel the air swirl around me, the sun shining on individual parts of my exposed skin. I could hear the birds singing in the trees and smell the wild flowers that grew in abundance around us. I could focus on centering my body, letting my balance control the arrow as it left my grasp.

I opened my eyes as guards applauded.

“How you do it with your eyes closed, I will never know,” Balin said with a shake of his head.

I smiled. “I learned from the best.”

“Ah, you give me too much credit, Princess.”

I tilted my head. “Can you move the target back ten paces, please?” I asked the new guard.

He looked at Balin. “But only Balin can-.”

“Just do it,” Balin interrupted and the guard hurried to do so.

As soon as he was out of the way, I decided to have a little fun. Quick as a flash, I drew and released an arrow. It struck the bull’s-eye without an issue and the guard jumped at the sudden arrow nearly missing him. Balin and Rowan both snickered as I docked another arrow. I kept shooting until a cold breeze swept over us. Everyone stopped.

“What-?” Balin began but the sound of trumpets filled the air.

Without even thinking about it, I dropped my bow and stared at Rowan with wide eyes.

“We have three days,” I gasped.

Balin grabbed my elbow then pushed me close to Rowan. He pointed sternly at the two of us, catching me by surprise.

“Don’t even think about separating from one another,” he said. “I may be with you during this, but only Rowan can truly protect you, Sorina.”

“I understand,” I said, shaking as Rowan took my arm. “I- I suppose it’s time we welcome our guests.”

Balin walked in front of us, his back straight and hand resting casually on the hilt of his sword. Rowan was whispering words of comfort but her eyes were full of worry, too.

“Where is Talon?” I whispered but a shriek answered me.

We both gasped as the falcon landed clumsily on Rowan’s shoulder. Rowan screamed a little at the blood dripping from Talon’s wing.

“I don’t- What happened to you, Talon?” she breathed.

Our court wizard had been walking nearby and ran to Talon’s aid. I was now shaking in anger. I knew what happened to the falcon. Ignoring Balin’s orders already, I strode with a straight back to around the front of the castle.

My parents were standing at the top of the stairs, looking as shocked as we were by the vampires’ early arrival. My father put a hand on my shoulder when I made to storm by them.

“They attacked Talon,” I hissed and his jaw dropped.

“What do you mean?” my mother asked and I pointed to where the wizard was seeing to the falcon.

Balin was practically shoving Rowan toward me, glaring at me. I was too furious with the vampires to care, though. As soon as the ambassador stepped out of the carriage, we all put on fake smiles. The ambassador strode confidently up the drive, three guards flanking him. Rowan stood behind me a few paces as I had requested. I could feel the anger rolling off of her, too.

The ambassador and guards all got on their knees in front of us. They bowed their heads in respect then stood up again. We bowed and curtsied back. Before the ambassador spoke, Talon fluttered onto Rowan’s shoulder and a guard drew his sword.

“Put it away,” my father ordered, “and explain to me why you attacked my servant’s scout.”

“Scout?” the guard repeated, staring at the falcon. “Is that why- We thought it was a spy, sent by the elves to-.”

“Hush, Luca,” the ambassador hissed. “Our apologies, your highness. We did not realize you had sent the falcon to announce our arrival.”

My father pressed his lips together and I sighed, stepping forward.

“Thank you for your apology,” I said and the ambassador bowed to me. “Please, come inside out of the sun. Perhaps you can explain why you are three days early.”

The ambassador flushed but followed us into the palace.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you, shego., for your comment!